F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Dashcam Installation
Extreme Powerhouse

09-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #23
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 328i M-Sport AW

Hi all.

I finally got around to installing this (I procrastinated like a boss!!).

I just have a question. Is the only way to get around the B-Pillar trim to remove it from the bottom first and then slide down the top piece? I tried to squeeze into the gap but with 2 cables it doesn't seem to hide away properly. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

I ended up going with a BlackVue DR650GW-2CH with a Power Magic Pro. I don't use ASS so it shouldn't be a problem for me. I'm going to test it anyway.

I mounted the camera with the lens directly below the Connected Drive box and cables back around into the fusebox area. The rear camera was stuck onto the rear textured plastic and it mounts fine. Cable also 'retracts' back nicely. That combined with fuse taps, it makes for a nice finish and much easier than I first though. Thanks for those who posted suggestions above. I have had it running (not hard wired) for the last month or so and the camera does not obstruct the rear vision mirror anti dazzle. Still works fine.

I'll take some pics of how I've done it for those cool F31 drivers.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #24
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Here are a couple of iPhone-tastic pics.

First one shows the positioning under the connected drive unit centering the lens.
Second one shows the back camera with the split tailgate window open.
Third one shows how the cable slack is managed so the main tailgate can open.
Fourth one shows the issue i have with the B pillar.

I'll post my fusebox when I get home, and maybe do a proper run through on it like Steve did earlier in the thread.

I also tested the PowerMagic Pro with ASS and it does not reboot my camera as others around the world have reported. Not sure why that would actually happen though as the power is still on. It's like saying the lights would turn off when ASS kicks in?!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #25
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
I installed my dual channel dashcam a couple weeks ago (Lukas lk-7950) and essentially followed the same instructions as the video above of the f30 (also referred to the same company's video install on the m4). I had a professional installer do it.

But for some reason when I put it in parking mode, I seem to get battery drain issues where I can't seem to open the door with the proximity keys. I actually have to remove the key out if the fob to physically open the door.

The car starts without issues though, and I get the following warning message on my screen. Has anyone else come across this issue?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 02:12 AM   #26
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
I installed my dual channel dashcam a couple weeks ago (Lukas lk-7950) and essentially followed the same instructions as the video above of the f30 (also referred to the same company's video install on the m4). I had a professional installer do it.

But for some reason when I put it in parking mode, I seem to get battery drain issues where I can't seem to open the door with the proximity keys. I actually have to remove the key out if the fob to physically open the door.

The car starts without issues though, and I get the following warning message on my screen. Has anyone else come across this issue?
From what I read, this is usually due to 1 of 2 things.

1. the setting on the 'ups' is set too low. Fix: set it to the next level.
2. The ACC+ line is connected to constant power (e.g. not an ACC+ line). This will cause the PowerMagic (in my case) to never engage the timer.

I've only had mine connected to the PowerMagic Pro since last night so haven't left it on for any length of time.

It was on overnight (about 7-8 hours) and no complaints from the system this morning. It has been set to 12 hours and 12V.

Can you see what fuses are used for each line?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #27
_kp
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by feng
Here are a couple of iPhone-tastic pics.

First one shows the positioning under the connected drive unit centering the lens.
Second one shows the back camera with the split tailgate window open.
Third one shows how the cable slack is managed so the main tailgate can open.
Fourth one shows the issue i have with the B pillar.

I'll post my fusebox when I get home, and maybe do a proper run through on it like Steve did earlier in the thread.

I also tested the PowerMagic Pro with ASS and it does not reboot my camera as others around the world have reported. Not sure why that would actually happen though as the power is still on. It's like saying the lights would turn off when ASS kicks in?!
Hi Feng, could you post a picture of your fuse box set up?

I am looking at installing a dash cam in near future. Possible a blackvue or a thinkware product. I am little unsure about the hardwiring part. Haven't touched the fuse box before. Was it hard to connect wires to the fuse?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #28
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kp View Post

I am looking at installing a dash cam in near future. Possible a blackvue or a thinkware product. I am little unsure about the hardwiring part. Haven't touched the fuse box before. Was it hard to connect wires to the fuse?

Thanks in advance!
Hi

Of course I can. I'll wait until it's daylight and I'll post a picture of it. You can get some Add-A-Circuit fuse taps from Super Cheap or the like and essentially run the two circuits that way. Just need a crimp tool or a good set of blunt pliers.

I just used 5A per circuit cos the dashcam draws like pretty much nothing.

FT
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #29
_kp
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Hi

Of course I can. I'll wait until it's daylight and I'll post a picture of it. You can get some Add-A-Circuit fuse taps from Super Cheap or the like and essentially run the two circuits that way. Just need a crimp tool or a good set of blunt pliers.

I just used 5A per circuit cos the dashcam draws like pretty much nothing.

FT
Thanks for the tips Feng. I will need to have a good look at the fuse box over the weekend.

Any recommendations on a dash cam? Had a look at a few products, narrowed it down to Blackvue DR650 and Thinkware x500. X500 has a screen, a built in battery monitor which means I may not need an additional power magic device. How are you finding the DR650?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 02:18 AM   #30
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Feng. I will need to have a good look at the fuse box over the weekend.

Any recommendations on a dash cam? Had a look at a few products, narrowed it down to Blackvue DR650 and Thinkware x500. X500 has a screen, a built in battery monitor which means I may not need an additional power magic device. How are you finding the DR650?
Heya.

Pictures of my fuse area attached.

I deliberately didn't want a screen so I went the dr650. Once I saw the blackvue i was sold. Small, discrete. I did hear a few issues about it, but mine has been ok so far. See how we go
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-21-2015, 06:27 AM   #31
_kp
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Heya.

Pictures of my fuse area attached.

I deliberately didn't want a screen so I went the dr650. Once I saw the blackvue i was sold. Small, discrete. I did hear a few issues about it, but mine has been ok so far. See how we go
Thanks Feng for the photos. That's a really neat set up. I will be installing it hopefully next weekend. Decided on a Iroad v9 for myself and a Blackvue DR500 for gf's x1. Will update everyone how I go.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #32
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Feng for the photos. That's a really neat set up. I will be installing it hopefully next weekend. Decided on a Iroad v9 for myself and a Blackvue DR500 for gf's x1. Will update everyone how I go.
No problems. If you need a hand, let me know. I'm in Brisbane too.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 06:04 AM   #33
_kp
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No problems. If you need a hand, let me know. I'm in Brisbane too.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #34
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Hey Feng, thanks for sharing. Which fuse numbers did you use specifically?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #35
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Feng, thanks for sharing. Which fuse numbers did you use specifically?
No problems.

I think it was:

161 (right rear tail light on a RHD car) for the BATT+ cable. Large fuse tap used for this one.
143 (i think it's the wing mirrors, or anti dazzle or something) for the ACC+ cable. Mini fuse tap used for this one.

161 is definitely BATT+. I tested it for 20 minutes and all my interior lights turned off.

If you get 143 wrong and connected to a non ACC+ line, it just means the Power Magic Pro box won't engage the timer so your battery will run flat. However, 143 for me worked perfectly.

I've uploaded pictures of the fuse images and location map that I used. Not sure if the other fuse numbers are correct as this is a picture off the net, but those logos are what i used and I'm pretty certain it was 161 and 143 as the locations match.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      09-25-2015, 10:13 PM   #36
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
thanks Feng! I was previously using 155 for acc+ based on watching another video install. Rerouted to 143 and ill see how that works.

Do you keep your dashcam in parking mode? Or only on driving. Mode only?

My previous wiring, in driving mode never any issues. Only got that battery drain warning in parking mode and after not driving it for over 24hrs.

Last edited by E30toF30; 01-04-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 05:21 AM   #37
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
thanks Feng! I was preciously using 155 for acc+ based on watching another video install. Rerouted to 143 and ill see how that works.

Do you keep your dashcam in parking mode? Or only on driving. Mode only?

My previous wiring, in driving mode never any issues. Only got that battery drain warning in parking mode and after not driving it for over 24hrs.
Mine is pretty much set to default.

I leave my Power Magic Pro to 12 hours, or 12v. Whichever comes first. The cam switches to parking mode after about 5-10 minutes (I think) and it sits in that mode until i start moving. I've left my car for well over 24 hours, but he cam is definitely off after 12 hours as it'll say "BlackVue for your safety" as opposed to "Park Mode Disabled".
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #38
_kp
Rep

I finally received the dash cams from my parents back in Korea. Got the Blackvue DR500W-HD for my partners X1 and the IROAD V9. Will be installing them as soon as I get around to picking up some fuse taps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #39
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Looks like I'm still getting this warning if I don't drive the car for over 24hrs.
I wonder if it's simply a caution message and it's simply a message that shows up when the camera shuts off because the battery hits the 12v threshold/setting.

My Lukas camera has a built in power magic pro so it's got the safety measures to prevent a full battery drain. But 24hrs seems rather quick for the camera to drain the battery to the point of shutting down. Has anyone else gotten this earning? Say with the blackvue? And if so, how long does it take for your car to be parked before you see this?

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #40
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Looks like I'm still getting this warning if I don't drive the car for over 24hrs.
I wonder if it's simply a caution message and it's simply a message that shows up when the camera shuts off because the battery hits the 12v threshold/setting.

My Lukas camera has a built in power magic pro so it's got the safety measures to prevent a full battery drain. But 24hrs seems rather quick for the camera to drain the battery to the point of shutting down. Has anyone else gotten this earning? Say with the blackvue? And if so, how long does it take for your car to be parked before you see this?
I got the message about battery drain once, but I think that's more because I forgot to lock my doors and something went a bit askew. I haven't had it since.

I never get it with the BlackVue but mine cuts out after 12 hours. It would probably also depend on what activity it is recording. For the BlackVue it switches to park mode which has the movement detection etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 03:35 AM   #41
Broz
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: '17 M3 MW/Akra Evo/Ess tune

Can anyone recommend an installer in Melbourne?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #42
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Sorry no idea about Melbourne installers.

But to comment again on my previous battery drain issues, I fixed it by switching the camera to turn off after 6 hours. I figure I really don't need it running for more than that when I'm parked at night in my garage. And when I'm out, I won't really ever be parked in one spot for that long.

Have not had the warning come up since I adjusted this setting.

Last edited by E30toF30; 01-04-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 08:11 AM   #43
feng
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Sorry no idea about Melbourne installers.

But to comment again on my previous battery drain issues, I fixed it by swing the camera to turn off after 6 hours. I figure I really don't need it running for more than that when I'm parked at night in my garage. And when I'm out, I won't really ever be parks in one spot for that long.

Have not had the warning come up since I adjusted this setting.
That's interesting to know.

Mine's set to 12V or 12 hours... but I do find that mine does turn off first. I might drop the PowerMagic down to 11.8V and see if still does it.

What was yours set to again?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 11:15 PM   #44
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by feng View Post
That's interesting to know.

Mine's set to 12V or 12 hours... but I do find that mine does turn off first. I might drop the PowerMagic down to 11.8V and see if still does it.

What was yours set to again?
Mine is set at 12v. So far, it seems to be working great.
I usually forget its even there as I turned off all voice notifications. I hate that it says stuff when i turn the car on and off, especially when I have kids sleeping in the car. I just have to make sure I take a quick peak at the clock on the back of the unit to make sure its on every few days to make sure fuses haven't blown or anything..
Appreciate 0