F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Varis Lip Install?
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Varis Lip Install?

I just ordered a Varis or "VR Style" replica lip and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with their experience installing this lip? I read through the lip installation guide but I'm thinking my install will be slightly different. I've been told by the supplier it only requires 9 self taping screws. I haven't received my lip yet so I can't give it a good look over, but will I need to get new plastic rivets?

Different pictures of the lip make it seem like all the holes will need to be drilled towards the front of the bumper, and the rivets at the back aren't effected? Do I just use 3M at the rear of the lip?

Any help would be appreciated so I can get all my installation parts in before the lip shows up.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #2
zaki671
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i

I can't offer you any advice but that lip looks bada$$!

Good luck with your install!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Zaki

C'mon guys I know I've seen some guys running this lip. Someone has to know how this lip installs. 9 Self Tapping screws, what about the plastic rivets holding onto the bumper itself? Do I need new ones or can I reuse the old ones? Do I have to touch them at all even?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 11:12 PM   #4
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

hate to tell you this, but for the question you are asking, the lip you are installing is irrelevant.

My question to you is this - are you more concerned with your lip staying put or ease of installation?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Both really. I'm trying to wrap my head around how exactly it installs, unfortunately my supplier isn't a native English speaker so getting it out of them is like herding cats. I was really wishing I wouldn't have to drill 9 holes, that some of them would line up with the holes already in the bumper, and that I wouldn't have to fiddle around with removing plastic rivets. I'm just trying to make sure I do it right so I don't have it rip off and flung under my car at 130mph...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #6
s2kako
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport

I just installed mine last week. Took a bit over an hour to fit to my liking. I reused the plastic rivets. And used the self tapping screws. Ordered mine from ikonmotorsports.
      03-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
s2kako
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's the only pic I have surprisingly
Attached Images

03-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kako View Post
Ordered mine from ikonmotorsports.
I was about to buy from them but they sold out just as I went to buy it... ended up buying from another supplier at the same price out of California. Turns out now they're shipping the lip direct from the supplier in Taiwan... makes me feel uneasy about the whole thing.

So some of the holes lined up with the plastic rivets? How many if so?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
s2kako
Private
United_States
Rep

I want to say 5-6 plastic rivets lined up near the inside/back of the lip. And then the self tappers went on near the outside/front of lip
      03-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #10
FeelingBlue
ESTORIL
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks S2Kako, thats just what I wanted to find out.

Not that anyone cares but the seller just contacted me to tell me the lip hasn't even been manufactured yet. Needless to say I'm cancelling the order and buying from Ikon... Recommend avoiding the eBay sellers who don't have a brand associated to their name.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
s2kako
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah I would go with ikonmotorsports. I really like the quality and fitment of their lip. I didn't realize how low it sits especially with my h&r springs. But it's nice and aggressive.
      03-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #12
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormtroopin' View Post
Both really. I'm trying to wrap my head around how exactly it installs, unfortunately my supplier isn't a native English speaker so getting it out of them is like herding cats. I was really wishing I wouldn't have to drill 9 holes, that some of them would line up with the holes already in the bumper, and that I wouldn't have to fiddle around with removing plastic rivets. I'm just trying to make sure I do it right so I don't have it rip off and flung under my car at 130mph...
This is what i would do - put the lip up against the bumper (having someone help you hold the lip up would be easier) then look to see if the pre-drilled holes in the lip matches up with holes in the bumper.

1) if there is a pre-existing hole in the bumper that matches a pre-existing hole in the lip, you are golden - pop in the rivet through the lip and through the bumper, and you are done (with that hole).
2) if there is not a pre-existing hole in the bumper that matches a pre-existing hole in the lip, put a Sharpie through the hole in the lip and mark a spot on the bumper in that place. Remove the lip, drill the hole through the spot you just marked, put the lip back on, and pop in the rivet.
3) worst case, there is a hole in the bumper, but there is no hole in the lip that matches up. now you gotta figure out how to match up the hole in the bumper to the exact place in the lip that you gotta drill - this would be the hardest case.

But just to give you an idea where some pre-drilled holes are in the bumper for an m-sport aero lip/splitter, check out this pic.

But if you are trying to making it as secure as possible with the minimal chance of losing the lip, use these rivetss

When you put them in using this tool, they will expand like toggle bolts you put into stucco walls, and they will effectively be permanent. They will have to be drilled out or cut off if you ever want to remove them (hence a real PITA to remove), but as long as you will never remove your lip, they will be your best bet to keep you lip on at 130mph Once they go on, you'll never get them off...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #13
danieliskander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB2 328i MSport

Hey, I don't know if you still need any help but I just installed my Varis replica about two weeks ago. Mine was from JL Motoring I believe (not 100% sure as I got it used).

There are 6 bolts, 4 rivets, and 2 screws with rivets already in your front bumper. I started off by removing them all and cleaning both the lip and the bumpers surface. I ended up using all 6 bolts that came out of the front bumper, putting them back into where they came from. I also used two of the push rivets that came off the sides of the bumper, and 1 of the center screws as the other one was stripped.

I also reinforced the lip with double sided adhesive tape. I got the 15lb version form Home Depot. They also offer 30lb.
Appreciate 0