F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Stalling at stops, rough idle, whining noise, CEL. Whats wrong with my car?
proTUNING Freaks

06-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
bbennett36
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i xDrive

Stalling at stops, rough idle, whining noise, CEL. Whats wrong with my car?

CEL codes -
P00BD - air flow too high
P0172 - system too rich
p0440 - EVAP (pretty sure this is just my gas cap sensor. ive had this for awhile)

The issues started about a month ago. My car stalled when coming to a stop in sports mode. It stalls when it goes from 2nd gear to 1st. the RPM's usually shoot up and it stalls. This happened again about 5 minutes later.

A couple weeks go by then it stalls again and now it stalls every couple days or so.

Theres also a whining noise coming from the engine bay sometimes. it usually only happens if I drive for about 5 minutes then park. It makes the whining noise for about 1 minute then stops. Theres definitely some power loss too on acceleration. sometimes it feels like it might stall when IO accelerate but it hasn't done that yet.

I went to a mechanic and he said that its possible the CVV which aligns with some of my symptoms but my car doesn't have any white smoke and the whining noise isn't consistent.

I did have to replace my charge pipe a month or 2 ago. I went to a local indy shop that doesn't have a specific focus on BMW's. I'm wondering if maybe they didnt tighten everything up? Do you think thats a possibility?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #2
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbennett36 View Post
CEL codes -
P00BD - air flow too high
P0172 - system too rich
p0440 - EVAP (pretty sure this is just my gas cap sensor. ive had this for awhile)

The issues started about a month ago. My car stalled when coming to a stop in sports mode. It stalls when it goes from 2nd gear to 1st. the RPM's usually shoot up and it stalls. This happened again about 5 minutes later.

A couple weeks go by then it stalls again and now it stalls every couple days or so.

Theres also a whining noise coming from the engine bay sometimes. it usually only happens if I drive for about 5 minutes then park. It makes the whining noise for about 1 minute then stops. Theres definitely some power loss too on acceleration. sometimes it feels like it might stall when IO accelerate but it hasn't done that yet.

I went to a mechanic and he said that its possible the CVV which aligns with some of my symptoms but my car doesn't have any white smoke and the whining noise isn't consistent.

I did have to replace my charge pipe a month or 2 ago. I went to a local indy shop that doesn't have a specific focus on BMW's. I'm wondering if maybe they didnt tighten everything up? Do you think thats a possibility?
As I was reading this I kept thinking "charge pipe" and then you mentioned it in the last paragraph. It also sounds like this issue started after the "repair." i'd take it back to them and see what they can find.
      06-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #3
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Certainly sounds like a boost leak somewhere.
Appreciate 0