F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Resonator delete
proTUNING Freaks

06-08-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Jacob.f30
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i m package

Resonator delete

Thinking of doing a resonator delete, anyone have experience with one on a n55 engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It will drone. Preventing drone is what the resonator does. If you want an overall louder exhaust without drone do a muffler delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob.f30 View Post
Thinking of doing a resonator delete, anyone have experience with one on a n55 engine?
It depends on your DP and axleback setup. I did a res delete with fabspeed catted DP and stock axleback. The fabspeed DP was an almost negligible change in volume from the OEM DP with a completely stock exhaust (resonator and axleback). You hear absolutely no difference from in the car, and have to really try to hear it from behind the car.

I wanted a bit more volume and turbo noise but obviously wasnt going to waste $1k+ on an exhaust so i went res delete with the fabspeed catted DP and stock axleback. Its nice for what i wanted. The res delete increases volume by about 20% maybe, and gives you some nice turbo noise on decel in particular. It does not drone and inside the car its still not really that much louder. If you are on OEM DP and only do res delete the change over stock will probably be even less.

It WILL probably drone if you go catless DP, will certainly drone if you delete both res and muffler.

Lucky for you i took before/after vids when doing these changes to my car.

100% stock:

fabspeed catted DP added, still stock res/axleback:

Before/after res delete. Note the car ALWAYS sounds louder and better from behind, so it doesnt sound quite the same as this in the cabin, but you can see what impact the res delete has.
Appreciate 0