F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT iDrive Installation Guide
proTUNING Freaks

01-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #23
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Mother of God!!
There's no better statement to emphasize my thoughts on this "guide".

I'm wondering....might it have been easier to just reconstruct the entire car from scratch?
      01-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #24
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolala View Post
Hi knightsabers,

It is a very useful write up indeed.

My car also has a combox in the boot and so I think I will use your provided method here for all wiring job. However, there is a point I'm still not clear.

Regarding the wire jump of pin13 to pin15 (step 31 of your guide), I actually need to close the loop of NBT end of the extension harness or the other end?

Could you help me out?

Many thanks!
The wire jump was performed on the Extension harness end where it connects to the head unit.

Last edited by knightsabers; 01-21-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #25
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsabers View Post
The wire jump was performed on the Extension harness end where it connects to the head unit.

Thank you for your quick response!
I understand that wire jump was performed on the extension harness at the head unit end. I have created a diagram of this situation. Is there any chance you can help me have a quick look and confirm?

http://postimg.org/image/o5nxby8jt

Appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for your quick response!
I understand that wire jump was performed on the extension harness at the head unit end. I have created a diagram of this situation. Is there any chance you can help me have a quick look and confirm?

http://postimg.org/image/o5nxby8jt

Appreciate your help.
You're welcome. Here's a rough representation of the wire jump.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #27
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Great! You help me out already!

Another quick question. I have combox at the back and I have HiFi sound system. The wire jump is used to transfer signal back for the case we need to put combox offline? Apart from knowing what to do, I also want to learn more.

Really appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #28
zyxel
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 318DA

Hello, I have a question, in the car I have the bussines CIC, my question is that if I can install the screen of the CIC professional to him. Someone has proved it and it him has worked?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great! You help me out already!

Another quick question. I have combox at the back and I have HiFi sound system. The wire jump is used to transfer signal back for the case we need to put combox offline? Apart from knowing what to do, I also want to learn more.

Really appreciated.
The wire jump was used to relay the audio signal back to the speakers for those with Hi-Fi. Not, 100% sure on why the combox needs to be offline, I was advised by my coder to remove it. I think by placing it offline, it will bypass the validation for non-genuine activation codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #30
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyxel View Post
Hello, I have a question, in the car I have the bussines CIC, my question is that if I can install the screen of the CIC professional to him. Someone has proved it and it him has worked?

thanks
Theoretically it should work. I think you can swap out the LCD display and connect it to the existing head unit via the Magenta cable. Not sure if it's the same cable or output rate though, so there's a chance it might not be compatible. Might need to confirm with your seller or installer if it's compatible.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #31
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
The wire jump was used to relay the audio signal back to the speakers for those with Hi-Fi. Not, 100% sure on why the combox needs to be offline, I was advised by my coder to remove it. I think by placing it offline, it will bypass the validation for non-genuine activation codes.
Thanks knightsabers!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #32
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Hi knightsabers,

When I rewire the MIC cable last night, after I detached the MIC cover and try to pull out the old MIC cable, I found it is quite hard to do so. The room underneath the headliner is so small and I'm just afraid breaking the little wire of the MIC.

Will you advise to use something, like screwdriver, to extend the room underneath the headliner while I pull out the wire? Is the old MIC cable coming from the center location instead of the direction of windscreen so that I need to pull in the right direction from center to side door?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #33
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi knightsabers,

When I rewire the MIC cable last night, after I detached the MIC cover and try to pull out the old MIC cable, I found it is quite hard to do so. The room underneath the headliner is so small and I'm just afraid breaking the little wire of the MIC.

Will you advise to use something, like screwdriver, to extend the room underneath the headliner while I pull out the wire? Is the old MIC cable coming from the center location instead of the direction of windscreen so that I need to pull in the right direction from center to side door?

Thanks in advance!
Yeah, there's very little room to maneuver between the headliner & airbag. I fed the cable from the center console to the 'drivers' side center console, removed the plastic grommet and doors seals. I then taped the cable & mic to a bent clothes hanger and 'slowly/gently' weaved through till I reached the speaker hole. Then it's a matter of pulling it out and plugging in the mic cap.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:40 PM   #34
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, there's very little room to maneuver between the headliner & airbag. I fed the cable from the center console to the 'drivers' side center console, removed the plastic grommet and doors seals. I then taped the cable & mic to a bent clothes hanger and 'slowly/gently' weaved through till I reached the speaker hole. Then it's a matter of pulling it out and plugging in the mic cap.
Hi knightsabers,

Using a bent cloth hanger is really a good idea. I will have a try later.

What you are talking is about wiring the new MIC cable. However, I'm still at stuck the step of detaching the old original MIC cable plug near the speaker hole...

I need to pull the old original MIC cable out a little bit from the hole first before I can see and detach the plug. I think this action of pulling out original MIC cable is very hard because of little room. I will try using a screwdriver to expand the room and pull out the original MIC cable a little bit until I can detach the plug then go to the step you mentioned.

Thanks a lot, man!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #35
zyxel
Rep

Quote:
Theoretically it should work. I think you can swap out the LCD display and connect it to the existing head unit via the Magenta cable. Not sure if it's the same cable or output rate though, so there's a chance it might not be compatible. Might need to confirm with your seller or installer if it's compatible.
Hello, thank you for answering, I think that if it was working, the bad thing is that the resolution of the screen are different and it is possible that so one sees good,
I asked if someone has proved it, Sure that someone has done
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #36
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Just as a heads up, the ProNav screen will not work when connected to HU_ENTRY (non-nav head unit), the cables ends are different. The non-nav cable is burgundy at both ends. The pro-nav cable is pink and burgundy; even with correct cable the pro-nav screen remains blank.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:16 PM   #37
zyxel
Rep

Thank you very much, it is what was waiting for me, better then the change to nbt professional
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:50 PM   #38
zyxel
Rep

But I have the busines,s the alone change is from the screen of the CIC businnes to the screen of the professional CIC
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #39
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Hi knightsabers,

As what mentioned above your car is coming with Combox in the trunk, same as mine. May I know is there any antenna installed in the shark fin on top of the car?

I found my car seems to have antenna in the shark fin and I can't put the aftermarket GPS antenna there. Strange....

I've just completed NBT retrofit as well. Your write up helps me a lot. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #40
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi knightsabers,

As what mentioned above your car is coming with Combox in the trunk, same as mine. May I know is there any antenna installed in the shark fin on top of the car?

I found my car seems to have antenna in the shark fin and I can't put the aftermarket GPS antenna there. Strange....

I've just completed NBT retrofit as well. Your write up helps me a lot. Thanks again!
You're welcome, glad it could help. As I had 'Business Nav', previously so mine was fitted with the antenna in the Shark fin.

Here's an example what it should look like.
Attached Images

02-09-2015, 07:18 AM   #41
Coolala
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
You're welcome, glad it could help. As I had 'Business Nav', previously so mine was fitted with the antenna in the Shark fin.

Here's an example what it should look like.
Just checked the realoem.com, my car is really having the antenna but is one not for GPS purpose

If I need to install BMW GPS antenna, I need to cut the the fin cover, which is so scary...I give up....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2015, 06:10 AM   #42
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 320d black sport

Very nice install guide you have. May I know where did you get the USB converter, the White one? I understand that the CIC connector is not a direct fit.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:01 AM   #43
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just checked the realoem.com, my car is really having the antenna but is one not for GPS purpose

If I need to install BMW GPS antenna, I need to cut the the fin cover, which is so scary...I give up....
It does seem like a bit of a task to remove the cover. I know there's a shop in HK, Pasco-HK that installs NBT & other parts. Might want to check out how much they charge to install it.
      02-11-2015, 02:03 AM   #44
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightycrown View Post
Very nice install guide you have. May I know where did you get the USB converter, the White one? I understand that the CIC connector is not a direct fit.
I got the converter & the entire kit from a seller in Singapore, Elebest who shipped it over via Express Post.