F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > M2 v M240 vid
ARMA SPEED

09-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #45
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

I assume the Irnbrukid either has an M2 or has one on order

I say prepare Mr Botty with plenty of Vaseline my Scottish friend
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #46
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

No one mentioned big discounts, there are already discounts from list.

Back to basics, not by choice it down to the economics of tooling.

The majority of the M2 relies on tooling paid for by the 1 series and also inherits the BOM from same series.

The largest outlay on majority of manufacturer products is tooling and the assembly side of things.

By limiting the BOM and the assembly side of things, they naturally limit the car.

Saying it is back to basics as if it's a reduced weight pure driving experience superior to the other M cars would be bollox, it's a manufacturing limitation pure and simple.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #47
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The M2 is an entry level M car, discounts aside, entry level cars = poor man model.
Are you also somebody who regarded the Cayman as a "poor man's 911"? I.e. somebody utterly clueless about good driver's cars?

Quote:
at the end of the day, the M2 is an M car built to a very limited 1 series tooling budget and very reliant on 1 series parts bin.
It's an M2, no sh*t! It also has raided the M3/M4 parts bin too, with the suspension, axles, brakes, engine internals.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I like the M2, just disappointed on how low budget it is, top dollar for a low tech / limited options car.
Like I say. If this bothers you then the M2 is not your kind of car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
Let me re phrase/ anyone that thinks the M2 will perform as good as the 1M needs their heads shaking
Again, where did anybody say that?

Quote:
I see you have an order in for an M2, if I was you I would cancel before you have your pants pulled down and are subjected to a good greasing

Leave it 12 months and pick one up for a substantial saving on list, but of course some people need the latest and greatest
Bit late to cancel when I'm picking it up in four days! I'll be alright thanks. Thankfully, money isn't a problem. I'll be sure to let you know what I sell it for in the future though.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #48
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I assume the Irnbrukid either has an M2 or has one on order

I say prepare Mr Botty with plenty of Vaseline my Scottish friend
Residuals is a strange angle to go with when trying to troll someone with an M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:17 PM   #49
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No one mentioned big discounts, there are already discounts from list.
Where is somebody getting discounts on a 12-18 month waiting list?

Quote:
Back to basics, not by choice it down to the economics of tooling.

The majority of the M2 relies on tooling paid for by the 1 series and also inherits the BOM from same series.

The largest outlay on majority of manufacturer products is tooling and the assembly side of things.

By limiting the BOM and the assembly side of things, they naturally limit the car.

Saying it is back to basics as if it's a reduced weight pure driving experience superior to the other M cars would be bollox, it's a manufacturing limitation pure and simple.
What does this have to do with anything? The reasons for it being back to basics is irrelevant.

The point is, it's an entry level M car, for which the demand far exceeds the supply. Ergo, strong residuals. It's really quite simple!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #50
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
Residuals is a strange angle to go with when trying to troll someone with an M2.
So maybe buy the M2 because you want the M2 and don't keep trying to justify it to those that think you have made a poor decision

I think you probably feel silly ordering the M2 over an M3/4 and you are just a little bit embarrassed by your decision and feel the need to defend it at every opportunity
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #51
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat

Erm, where is there a 12-18 month waiting list? You are a bit behind the times it seems.

Anyone who wants an M2 can get one if they are prepared to look for one in much less time than you mention. I've been offered 3 less than 5 months slots by two different dealers. My own dealer I can understand as I might get preferential treatment, but a totally unknown dealer offering me a queue jump? :
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #52
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So maybe buy the M2 because you want the M2 and don't keep trying to justify it to those that think you have made a poor decision

I think you probably feel silly ordering the M2 over an M3/4 and you are just a little bit embarrassed by your decision and feel the need to defend it at every opportunity
Yeah, I have every reason to feel silly.

Luckily I'm in a position that I don't have to choose between the M2 and M4. I'll have both thanks!

I couldn't wait for the M4 LCI to be launched so I decided to have an M2 whilst I'm waiting.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #53
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

What does this have to do with anything? The reasons for it being back to basics is irrelevant.

The point is, it's an entry level M car, for which the demand far exceeds the supply. Ergo, strong residuals. It's really quite simple!
Oh dear BMW must be having a chuckle at guys like you.

Lets put it this way I am more than happy to bung a £100 to a charity of your choice if discounts on the M2 are not forthcoming by the end of 2017.

The only reason it is in demand at the moment is because it is riding high on the back of the 1M and that was a totally different kettle of fish.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #54
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
My own dealer I can understand as I might get preferential treatment, but a totally unknown dealer offering me a queue jump? :
And with what discount?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:34 PM   #55
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I have every reason to feel silly.

Luckily I'm in a position that I don't have to choose between the M2 and M4. I'll have both thanks!

I couldn't wait for the M4 LCI to be launched so I decided to have an M2 whilst I'm waiting.
And you are unique in being able to afford both

Money and common sense don't necessarily go hand in hand, luckily I have a copious supply of both
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #56
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And you are unique in being able to afford both
Where did I say I was "unique"? I was responding to you saying that I ordered the M2 over the M4.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #57
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Where did I say I was "unique"? I was responding to you saying that I ordered the M2 over the M4.
Can I assume with your ability to afford both an M2 and M4 you will match my offer of a £100 to a charity of MY choice if discounts ARE forthcoming on the M2 prior to the end of 2017, or maybe you need every penny you can save for your 'M' habit
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #58
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I can get standard discount now, however anything below say 8% is not a discount.

Obviously as you don't pay VAT, you make quite a decent saving.

If bring back to basics, then why do people mention it?

Surely saying it is a back to basics car is therefore a totally irrelevant post, however you take umbrage at me and not the poster of the irrelevant post???

Strong residuals for now, once current engine is added, then the originals will likely drop a good bit in price, with the newer engine most likely commanding higher price and improvements usually found on post release cars.

Admittedly it is slightly confusing an R8 owner stooping down to an M2.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #59
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I can get standard discount now, however anything below say 8% is not a discount.

Obviously as you don't pay VAT, you make quite a decent saving.

If bring back to basics, then why do people mention it?

Surely saying it is a back to basics car is therefore a totally irrelevant post, however you take umbrage at me and not the poster of the irrelevant post???

Strong residuals for now, once current engine is added, then the originals will likely drop a good bit in price, with the newer engine most likely commanding higher price and improvements usually found on post release cars.

Admittedly it is slightly confusing an R8 owner stooping down to an M2.

Seems rather odd to me too
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #60
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Quote:
My own dealer I can understand as I might get preferential treatment, but a totally unknown dealer offering me a queue jump? :
And with what discount?
I haven't discussed discount with the foreign dealer, but the fact is.....the queue is naturally getting shorter.
My dealer actually has mentioned he should be able to do something, but I'm thinking a service inclusive, or an M Power t shirt, rather than cash off. But then I am a loyal customer, so probably not the norm.

Once cars start boarding boats with no buyers allocated, then discounts become a reality.

Let's be completely honest, the M2 is a bit of an oddball. It hasn't got the ultimate drive system in the form of all wheel drive, it's too expensive for the types that want a hot hatch, too small for most as a daily driver, not got the prestige like the M3 has of being the top of the range mid exec saloon. Not got the toys. It has limited appeal, limited demographic.

My view is BMW haven't throttled production for some sort of cunning marketing reasons, they have done it because it's an expensive car to build, and they know they wouldn't sell many more than they have declared they are making, so no point churning them out otherwise they would be sitting on forecourts.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2016, 03:54 PM   #61
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What are you talking about "newer engine"? If you think the B58 will find its way into the M2 then you're very much mistaken, and you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

They couldn't justify special M mirrors for such low production numbers, so they certainly can't justify putting in a different engine a few years down the line. Even the standard E46, E92, or F80/F82 M3/M4s with much higher production numbers have never had an updated engine in their seven year life spans, so they're not going to go through all the development costs for the M2.

You try to make out you know what you're talking about but you don't seem to fully understand the economics of car production.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #62
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What are you talking about "newer engine"? If you think the B58 will find its way into the M2 then you're very much mistaken, and you clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

They couldn't justify special M mirrors for such low production numbers, so they certainly can't justify putting in a different engine a few years down the line. Even the standard E46, E92, or F80/F82 M3/M4s with much higher production numbers have never had an updated engine in their seven year life spans, so they're not going to go through all the development costs for the M2.

You try to make out you know what you're talking about but you don't seem to fully understand the economics of car production.
Okay I bow to your superior knowledge I apologies, I had wrongly assumed the M2 engine and gearbox area would naturally handle the same engine as fitted to the M240i, I was obviously mistaken.

Obviously BMW will keep the older engine for the life of the M2...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #63
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I haven't discussed discount with the foreign dealer, but the fact is.....the queue is naturally getting shorter.
What does a foreign dealer have to do with anything? Mine's a UK car from a UK dealer, on UK plates. If you want to talk foreign dealers then the situation is even more critical. Only 25 are being imported into Holland. All sold out. I was looking at a used example identical to mine only two days ago. April build with about 10,000km on it on sale at an official BMW dealer. €90,000.

Quote:
My dealer actually has mentioned he should be able to do something, but I'm thinking a service inclusive, or an M Power t shirt, rather than cash off. But then I am a loyal customer, so probably not the norm.
A t-shirt?!

Quote:
Once cars start boarding boats with no buyers allocated, then discounts become a reality.
Which is going to happen when? With the numbers they're importing, that's not going to be any time soon!

Quote:
too small for most as a daily driver, not got the prestige like the M3 has of being the top of the range mid exec saloon.
Small? It doesn't need to appeal to the mass market when it's being built in such small numbers! What are you not getting?

And doesn't have the prestige? It's a lot rarer than the M3/M4, so that will make up for that!

And the M2 is in the same position as the M3/M4/ That is, top of the range of its particular segment.

Quote:
Not got the toys. It has limited appeal, limited demographic.
Again, the fact that you think "not having the toys" is a disadvantage just shows that you don't "get it". There is a part of the market that this just doesn't matter.

Quote:
My view is BMW haven't throttled production for some sort of cunning marketing reasons, they have done it because it's an expensive car to build, and they know they wouldn't sell many more than they have declared they are making, so no point churning them out otherwise they would be sitting on forecourts.
Utter rubbish. The M2 is built on a modular production line in Leipzig rather than where the M3 is built. The only spare capacity they had was there, and it has to be built on the same line as other models such as the Active Tourer, and then pulled off the line to have various parts added. This is a slow, laborious process. This is all available info if you had any vested interest in the M2, which you don't.

The M2 just isn't for you, and you don't understand it looking on paper. That's fine, but you clearly don't understand the whole story about its existence.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:10 PM   #64
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Okay I bow to your superior knowledge I apologies, I had wrongly assumed the M2 engine and gearbox area would naturally handle the same engine as fitted to the M240i, I was obviously mistaken.

Obviously BMW will keep the older engine for the life of the M2...

You think BMW can just stick a new engine in to the M2 without extensive testing? It's not just about "fitting". I'm surprised you would be that naive.

The N54 engine has just bowed out when the Z4 ceased production this week. That is ancient. Would the N55 have fit the Z4? Sure. So why wasn't it put in the Z4 a few years ago? Because it just isn't as simple as that!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #65
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You think BMW can just stick a new engine in to the M2 without extensive testing? It's not just about "fitting". I'm surprised you would be that naive.

The N54 engine has just bowed out when the Z4 ceased production this week. That is ancient. Would the N55 have fit the Z4? Sure. So why wasn't it put in the Z4 a few years ago? Because it just isn't as simple as that!
The M240i is pretty much coming out at the same time as the M2.

The big thing that impact lifing of components are tooling, having a bespoke platform, costs for testing approval and subsidiary components ranging from fuel pumps to gearboxes.

So anyhow, your big discount is getting a tax free M2.

Again I do find it strange wanting to have a RHD as daily commuter, I found it a bit of a pain, yes liveable with, however far easier just buying a LHD car from a Park Lane build slot, something they have done for years.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #66
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So anyhow, your big discount is getting a tax free M2.

Again I do find it strange wanting to have a RHD as daily commuter, I found it a bit of a pain, yes liveable with, however far easier just buying a LHD car from a Park Lane build slot, something they have done for years.
Awful lot of assumptions there, whilst also trying to appear clever.

1) Who said my M2 is my daily commuter? My daily commuter is a VW Up (soon to be replaced by a Polo which I ordered last week). Not that I "commute" really. I could walk to work in 20 mins.

2) My M2 isn't tax free and is staying on UK plates. My tax free days ended long ago.

3) I spend half my life in the UK as I work about three days a week in Holland.

4) I'm well aware of Park Lane and the diplomatic program BMW have. I've helped direct a lot of colleagues there when the Pound crashed in 2008, and also recently. The father of my goddaughter bought his 5 Series via Park Lane. The diplo prices are largely irrelevant on a lot of cars though due to the discounts being bigger elsewhere.

5) My R8 was ordered via Audi Watford who do the diplo sales for the UK. LHD, km/h speedo, Dutch registered. Saved €20,000 over the Dutch diplo price due to the currency.

Last edited by mofomat; 09-02-2016 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0