F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Diesel GT in North America
ARMA SPEED

03-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
jamesco
Registered
Rep
Drives: None yet

Diesel GT in North America

Hi there, new here!

Are there any plans of getting a diesel GT in North America (or more specifically in Canada)? Something like the 320d, 328d or 335d
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
ForlornMTL
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i GT xDrive MG on RC

Hi jamesco,
I was wondering the same thing before i ordered a 328i GT in January.
So i asked the manager at my dealership, he contacted BMW Canada.
And I contacted BMW North America directly.
Both said not this year and no plans for next year.

I didn't want to get a gas if a diesel was going to come out right after.
Unfortunately it's not for us yet.

My reasoning on this is that because of tough regulations on diesel emissions in North America they need a urea system to reduce nitrous oxide emissions. So they need to make sure they will sell enough to redesign every model to have a urea tank and system.
The most popular models get it first, a new model like the GT needs to prove it can sell before spending on a urea system.

Well, that's my thinking on it. Wish i could get the diesel, i'm going from a TDI Jetta to a gas BMW for a bit of sportiness.

Welcome to the forum
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
jamesco
Registered
Rep
Drives: None yet

I also have a Jetta TDI I love the mileage I get with it, and I'd like to stick with diesel, but wanted something classier as it is time to retire the TDI.

Since the hatchback/sportback design pleases me, I am interested in the GT but also the A7 which comes in TDI (although pricier than the GT). To bad we can't get the A5 Sportback TDI, that would probably fit both price and feature. But I saw the GT at Ottawa's Auto show last week, and it really is nice in person, but they have to bring in a diesel!

Thanks for answering!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
G-Mach1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F34 - 2014 335 xi

Diesel GT is not even in the radar for some time.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
ADM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xdr Msprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mach1 View Post
Diesel GT is not even in the radar for some time.
I know. I just came back from my dealer as well as what I have seen on other threads here. HOWEVER if anyone knows differently (with any real knowledge/as opposed to guessing), they should chime in.

I absolutely love the 3GT and have driven in my friends both in city and hwy (150 mile round trip) scenes. It is a wonderful ride with lots of room f/r and 5 tall adults can feel quite comfy.

That being said, not being able to get the diesel (either here, or do it as a ED) was a deal breaker for me. As I just returned from the dealer and ordered/purchased a 328d-xDrive M-Sport. If they put a diesel in for our NA/US market in 2 years, we would then replace our other vehicle for it in a heartbeat.

Here's hoping that this may come to pass.
Appreciate 0