F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is It Just Me
proTUNING Freaks

07-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
FIRSTBM
Registered
Rep
Drives: audi a4 avant sline

Is It Just Me

Have now driven a 330d m sport, 335d xdrive and last week a new M4. Is it just me or is anyone else crying out for manual gearbox. No matter how many times I drive these automatics [and I must admit they are very clever and smooth] I come away feeling a bit underwhelmed by the whole experience. I know these cars are quick and thats why I have been looking to buy one but I just don't think I will be happy driving an automatic day in day out. I see the M3/4 have the option of an manual gearbox but like many on this forum I will have to wait till BMW start discounting them before I seriously think about buying one. A few friends of mine have told me once I drive an automatic for a while I'll never go back to a manual but I've yet to be convinced.
Interested to hear from all you forum members your opinions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

They have paddles you know

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #3
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I miss a manual at times, but only when on a blast, which is not something I get to enjoy often enough unfortunately.
So for my daily use on congested roads I really wouldn't move away from an auto.
When I did go from an auto to a manual for a while I soon regretted it.
When I do go for a blast I enjoy using the paddles... Not quite the same but enjoyable in their own way.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

I tried both and went for manual.

10 years ago, autos were rubbish and slower than manual but now they are very clever and quick.

If I was doing high mileage or often stuck in jams then I'd go for auto but I do so few miles (5000 per year) that I'd prefer to enjoy all of the driving experience for the little I do.

I used to do 10000+ a year and if that happens again I'd opt for the auto as technology has now caught up.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

That's the only thing which I'm fearful about in swapping out the mini to a 330d. I quite like a manual gearbox, though my mate with an auto 525 just doesn't geddit.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

I'm a real fan of manual cars, and hate the slushmatic 6 speed boxes that BMW were using a few years ago.

The new 8 speed on my 335d was a revelation. So much so that I can't imaging going back to manual for my main car. It is in the right gear 99% of the time and fast pull aways are remarkably smooth, helped by the increased traction of xDrive getting all of that power down.

If I replace my car in a few years, no doubt the autos will be even better by then. The new 5 series is due in a couple of years, although it might be the size of a terraced house...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #7
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

As a new convert to an auto (first one owned in about 30 years) and having other manuals in the house to drive, I can say I really like the BMW auto box.

Yes in Eco and comfort it is a bit slow off the mark at times.

Pop it in sport mode and it moves, feeling like a manual, push it left and choice of paddles or gear lever.

However I do seriously think they have the damn things the wrong way round!

I want to reverse, what direction do I push the gear lever? Yes forward.
I want to go forward, what way do I push the gear lever? Yes backwards!

Then the manual mode with the gear stick, feels round the wrong way lol.

Anyhow, yes in am a convert to the auto box, at least the BMW one, no more messing with gears at traffic lights, round a bouts etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #8
Sabo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F21 M140i

I had a new 420D Msport manual on Monday while the dealer did some adjustment on my car and I really did not like the the gearbox neither the engine to be honest but that's also down to the gearbox as I have driven 320d Msport with sport auto and it was much better. I personally wouldn't even consider a manual.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Finnie
Might be selling the 335d touring
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Disco 4, F31 335d msport+

I'll supprt you. As much as the new gearbox in the BMW is fantastic there is nothing better than changing manually. Yes the auto does it better but the involvement just isn't there. I regularly take a hire car for work and I really enjoy it, (almost) no matter what car. It simply makes the drive more enjoyable. Then again I simply love driving. I have the auto disco so thats fine for most stuff but the second car is for fun, auto just isn't good enough!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
As a new convert to an auto (first one owned in about 30 years) and having other manuals in the house to drive, I can say I really like the BMW auto box.

Yes in Eco and comfort it is a bit slow off the mark at times.

Pop it in sport mode and it moves, feeling like a manual, push it left and choice of paddles or gear lever.

However I do seriously think they have the damn things the wrong way round!

I want to reverse, what direction do I push the gear lever? Yes forward.
I want to go forward, what way do I push the gear lever? Yes backwards!

Then the manual mode with the gear stick, feels round the wrong way lol.

Anyhow, yes in am a convert to the auto box, at least the BMW one, no more messing with gears at traffic lights, round a bouts etc.
Sorry, have to disagree in which way round an up shift or downshift should be!

In a manual, it's always a push away to drop a gear, so it's very natural to do this. Plus, if you think about heavy braking when you may wish to be downshifting then it feels normal to pushing to me as your whole body is being pushed forward, and likewise when you're accelerating hard it seems natural to be pulling towards you as your being pressed back anyway... Makes sense in my head anyway!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post

In a manual, it's always a push away to drop a gear, so it's very natural to do this. Plus, if you think about heavy braking when you may wish to be downshifting then it feels normal to pushing to me as your whole body is being pushed forward, and likewise when you're accelerating hard it seems natural to be pulling towards you as your being pressed back anyway... Makes sense in my head anyway!
Ok put that way yes, makes sense.

It will obviously grow on me as I am mixing the gear stick shift and paddles, plus and minus points for both.

Although just keeping in sport or sport plus is fine as well and shifts very well in both senses of the word lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #12
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes a little. Every time I get a manual I long for an auto when in heavy traffic. Every time I have an auto there is something missing from the experience on a nice road. Paddles are ok to me but I've never been really into them, my left foot feels lost the first few drives.

Auto is the future though, as it's going more and more hybrid, the only way these will work is with a clever auto.

Again no losers right now in a BMW, autos are superb and the manuals are slick....get a manual while you can and take the hit on economy and emissions but cheaper price.
      07-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand
Quote:

Ok put that way yes, makes sense.

It will obviously grow on me as I am mixing the gear stick shift and paddles, plus and minus points for both.

Although just keeping in sport or sport plus is fine as well and shifts very well in both senses of the word lol.
As you know the f3x cars have a left paddle for downshifts and right paddle for up shifts, but the Z4 has a different layout- each paddle does both up and down shifts... So you push either side for downshifts and pull either side for up shifts.
At first I couldn't get used to it as I wanted it to be how it is now in the 3 series - probably from playing video games!

However now I'm used to it I quite like it... Makes for great one handed driving, even in manual mode!

And even though I swap between both cars all the time it comes naturally now to use the different layouts.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

My 335d is my first auto and I think it's fantastic. I was die hard hard manual fan (see my sig) but the 8 speed ZF box is a revelation.
The X1 I drove earlier in the week while my springs were being done was a manual and tbh I found it such a chore to keep changing gear. The fact that it was gutless didn't help, I was trying to pull out of a junction on a slight incline and it couldn't manage it in 2nd, even though the wheels was rolling. Had to force it into 1st which felt unnatural while the wheels were rolling. Such a faff.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

BMW have it the "right way"

GT3 race cars, with sequential boxes are down for up a gear

carrys on from that , pull down

same with paddle shifts, you pull towards you
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Reelknead1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

I bought a 6 speed and at times I wish I had gone with the auto. The 6 speed in this car is good but the first to second shift is very difficult. I also find that the throttle like to change it's behavior all the time. Pulling away from a light I get very inconsistent response. Sometimes it's perfect other times it's none responsive. To each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:48 PM   #17
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

No it's not just you. It's me too my clutch Lovin buddy.

I did a thread on this a little while back and the general consensus on here was that this is a forum full of auto lovers.

As much as I love the 8 speed I still think I would prefer manual. Shame they don't do an option.
I'd even consider smg or dct but that's not an option either.

I think if our boxes were dual clutch I'd be happy and wouldnt yearn for a gearstick and clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #18
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
As you know the f3x cars have a left paddle for downshifts and right paddle for up shifts, but the Z4 has a different layout- each paddle does both up and down shifts... So you push either side for downshifts and pull either side for up shifts.
At first I couldn't get used to it as I wanted it to be how it is now in the 3 series - probably from playing video games!

However now I'm used to it I quite like it... Makes for great one handed driving, even in manual mode!

And even though I swap between both cars all the time it comes naturally now to use the different layouts.

I would like that ability, as it's a pain on tight long bends changing gear with paddles if say the paddles are at 20 to 2, would be easier tapping the upper paddle forward etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #19
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
No it's not just you. It's me too my clutch Lovin buddy.

I did a thread on this a little while back and the general consensus on here was that this is a forum full of auto lovers.

As much as I love the 8 speed I still think I would prefer manual. Shame they don't do an option.
I'd even consider smg or dct but that's not an option either.

I think if our boxes were dual clutch I'd be happy and wouldnt yearn for a gearstick and clutch.
How much different would a dual clutch box be compared to the ZF?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #20
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
How much different would a dual clutch box be compared to the ZF?
Gear changes would be quicker and more precise (not that they are slow with the zf, but hey the quicker the better.)
Gear changes would also be more violent, and we all know the harder the thud the cooler you feel!
Also there would be more configuration options for the box.
I'm pretty sure it would also shave the 0 to 60 and 0 to 100 times. Not sure how it would effect top speed though.

In a nutshell it would make for a more engaging drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #21
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Does the ZF really need 8 gears given the BMW DCT box has 7 gears?

Wonder if it is really just a marketing thing or if there really is any value in 8 gears.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep