F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Story Time!!!! BMW Assist
ARMA SPEED

03-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Story Time!!!! BMW Assist

Hello All,

I would like to share with you today about How BMW Assist kept me out of imminent danger.

It was 2 days before Christmas Eve; I go up to Orlando every year to see family. And it started perfect nice day on the highway everything was Perfect. So this particular day (at the time i didn't know) there was a sun flare and caused my BMW Navigation to go Loco and i was thank god had a full tank of Gas and i ended up in this FAR FAR end of Orlando back woods no lights nothing just houses no main roads. at this time ive been wondering around following my navigation for 2 hours now its Pitch dark!!. Where all scared now we remember than Michel Jordan dad had died just like this it goes through your mind. No cell service. Out friends following in the back pulled to the side to see WATS going on we told them to hang tight and keep driving. We didn't even know what to do. So fearing i didn't pull over and keept driving i remember BMW Assist uses Sat so i pushed it (Forgot about it eailer) I took 10 min for me to get someone worse 10 min of my life i got someone and i told them exactly what happened and calmly i asked if they can make a call for me they got my friends on the other line and Dorris (BMW Assist rep never forgot the name) Guided me exactly out of there never took me off the line. We wondered so far in to the back woods it took us 1 hour to get out of there.

Thank God for BMW Assist i don't know what i would have done if i didn't have it. It probably saved me my family, friends from having to stop in complete unformiller teriotorry that wasn't even on a map.

The reason i brought this story up i was looking through the General BMW forums and found people asking if they should get it. You might only use it once but The one time you use it. It might save your life and get you out of danger. BTW My friends was a Dodge Charger and Onstar had signal when we got out lol it was so low that every time he made a call it would drop

Thank You BMW and dorris
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Wow that's a pretty cool story, and indeed worth considering when choosing BMW Assist or not

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I'm assuming that you didn't have nav. Or did you have nav, but the roads weren't listed?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I just carry a $5 map in car. No nav, no nothing. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna
I'm assuming that you didn't have nav. Or did you have nav, but the roads weren't listed?
I did have Navigation roads where not listed on the screen. Or my map
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Hello All,

I would like to share with you today about How BMW Assist kept me out of imminent danger.

It was 2 days before Christmas Eve; I go up to Orlando every year to see family. And it started perfect nice day on the highway everything was Perfect. So this particular day (at the time i didn't know) there was a sun flare and caused my BMW Navigation to go Loco and i was thank god had a full tank of Gas and i ended up in this FAR FAR end of Orlando back woods no lights nothing just houses no main roads. at this time ive been wondering around following my navigation for 2 hours now its Pitch dark!!. Where all scared now we remember than Michel Jordan dad had died just like this it goes through your mind. No cell service. Out friends following in the back pulled to the side to see WATS going on we told them to hang tight and keep driving. We didn't even know what to do. So fearing i didn't pull over and keept driving i remember BMW Assist uses Sat so i pushed it (Forgot about it eailer) I took 10 min for me to get someone worse 10 min of my life i got someone and i told them exactly what happened and calmly i asked if they can make a call for me they got my friends on the other line and Dorris (BMW Assist rep never forgot the name) Guided me exactly out of there never took me off the line. We wondered so far in to the back woods it took us 1 hour to get out of there.

Thank God for BMW Assist i don't know what i would have done if i didn't have it. It probably saved me my family, friends from having to stop in complete unformiller teriotorry that wasn't even on a map.

The reason i brought this story up i was looking through the General BMW forums and found people asking if they should get it. You might only use it once but The one time you use it. It might save your life and get you out of danger. BTW My friends was a Dodge Charger and Onstar had signal when we got out lol it was so low that every time he made a call it would drop

Thank You BMW and dorris
Good story! BMW Assist is priceless. I am not going into details and hijack your thread but I had a similar experience and it most definitely saved my life and I am thankful everyday for spending the extra bit of money I almost didn't spring for.
      03-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Good story! BMW Assist is priceless. I am not going into details and hijack your thread but I had a similar experience and it most definitely saved my life and I am thankful everyday for spending the extra bit of money I almost didn't spring for.
No please Hijack for your Joy this is a thread of BMW Assist i would love to hear your story and so would the Forum
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
mkeath
Rep
Drives: 2007 Toyota 4runner

Another cheap tip is to check out the route on a map (even Google Maps) to familiarize yourself with it ahead of time. I personally do this every time I go on a long drive that requires a GPS.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post

Quote:
No please Hijack for your Joy this is a thread of BMW Assist i would love to hear your story and so would the Forum
+1 would love to hear this.

As a matter of fact, I had BMW Assist with my current car for the first year but declined to stick with it the year after. Not planning that this time, especially not after hearing these kinds of stories. I rather pay for nothing than not to be able to get a certain service while I would be in need.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Had it in my last 5 cars, didnt get it this time around. But its nice.
      03-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #11
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
+1 would love to hear this.

As a matter of fact, I had BMW Assist with my current car for the first year but declined to stick with it the year after. Not planning that this time, especially not after hearing these kinds of stories. I rather pay for nothing than not to be able to get a certain service while I would be in need.
See the good thing about BMW even if you have the informant system but dont have the Sub Serive they still give it to you in case of emergency
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #12
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeath View Post
Another cheap tip is to check out the route on a map (even Google Maps) to familiarize yourself with it ahead of time. I personally do this every time I go on a long drive that requires a GPS.
Yea i get you i should of. Iv'e driven up to orlando countless times so i figured whats different this. Even with the planning it coundt have saved me a whole lot i ended up close to Tampa my destination was in Orange Bollosm
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
mkeath
Rep
Drives: 2007 Toyota 4runner

Quote:
Yea i get you i should of. Iv'e driven up to orlando countless times so i figured whats different this. Even with the planning it coundt have saved me a whole lot i ended up close to Tampa my destination was in Orange Bollosm
Well I live in the middle of nowhere anyways, so I am used to checking routes ahead of time anyways. However, I can say that what happened to Michael Jordan's dad is a rarity. It's fairly uneventful. Turning on the local news one day, the top story for the evening was of a man caught driving drunk with his child in the car one town over. Granted, that's pretty bad, but when I lived in a major city, every evening was marked by the top story being a gruesome murder followed by a couple of slightly less gruesome murders.

I think you're more likely to die of boredom out here than be murdered. Unfortunately for Mr. Jordan, the law of large numbers came into play. A real danger would be thinking, "Hey I will just trek through the woods," and getting lost and then dying.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
sunxnus
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I just carry a $5 map in car. No nav, no nothing. :-)
Get a life!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
middleagedhippie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Four years of BMW assist came with my premium package on my 2011 328i just bought end of December. You mean the F-30, which costs 10K more than what I spent on the 2011 E-90, does not include four years of BMW assist?

By the way, I always carry a map. Its a good thing to have when travelling in areas unknown.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Hello All,

Thank You BMW and dorris
You need NAV to guide you to your parent's house that you visit every year?
      03-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
You need NAV to guide you to your parent's house that you visit every year?
No it was general family. Aunt, Uncle, Grandma etc...
Appreciate 0