F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Scratches on my bumper
Studio RSR

12-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d msport 2016

Angry Scratches on my bumper

Hi all,

Some idiot must have moved some stuff around my car and scratched my bumper on the right side (which, by the way, has been repaired and repainted few weeks back) in the garage.

Some of the scratches seem to be relatively deep (I can feel them with my fingernail) but most are not too deep. Do you think this can be repaired without too much hassle (e.g. without having to repaint the bumper again) without leaving any visible spots?

Also does it help that it has been repainted very recently? For example it could be easier to paint only part of the bumper?

Drives me crazy every time this happens, especially during these days..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Some of those scratches may "disappear" with proper polishing, but the deeper ones will need to be touched up with a paint stick or airbrush.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #3
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Some of those scratches may "disappear" with proper polishing, but the deeper ones will need to be touched up with a paint stick or airbrush.
Thanks for your reply. Do you think that touch up paint would be sufficient to cover them up without requiring a repaint? Also, it possible for only parts for the bumper to be repainted instead of the whole bumper if touch up doesn't give satisfactory results?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #4
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by charpour View Post
Thanks for your reply. Do you think that touch up paint would be sufficient to cover them up without requiring a repaint? Also, it possible for only parts for the bumper to be repainted instead of the whole bumper if touch up doesn't give satisfactory results?
Try it and let us know
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #5
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Also, it possible for only parts for the bumper to be repainted instead of the whole bumper if touch up doesn't give satisfactory results?
A good detailer will be the best place to start if you don't think you have the skills or tools. Body shops can air brush or spot paint a portion of the bumper cover & blend the repair into the uninvolved portion, depending on their abilities.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
If they disappear when you wet the bumper then they can be fixed by filling them with clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #7
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

As long as it's only a scratch in the clear coat and not down through too much paint they can likely be polished/buffed out with the right product. If your paint is scratched down to exposing metal or plastic then it would require refinishing and the part to be repainted.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 10:25 PM   #8
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
I got a scratches from a shopping cart. My dealer brought in a guy specializing in small repairs like yours, and fixed it. It's not noticeable, and only the affected area of the bumper was repainted.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #9
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

I'm guessing a clear bra could have avoided damage. You might want to check into that. I think they are cheap insurance and am very grateful I got mine installed now that winter is here and they are graveling the roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:15 AM   #10
arminvb
Rep
Drives: F30 Estoril Blue

Can look into cleaning the area, then applying touch up paint, then wet sanding with a very high count grit (I think I used 2000-3000 or something from Home Depot, then reassessing the area, then clear coat, then wet sand, then polish with a cream like Swirl and Scratch from Chemical Guys. That's what's I did when someone carved gashes into my hood. I got the touch up and clear from dealer for free, but otherwise it's about $30 iirc.

When you wet sand it will look worse at first but after polishing you'll see that the haziness goes away and it will look great.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #11
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Thanks all for your replies. I've contacted my insurer who told me that I have to take it to the dealer for a whole bumper repaint, which I think is too much for that damage. Does that make any sense?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
Slickz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies. I've contacted my insurer who told me that I have to take it to the dealer for a whole bumper repaint, which I think is too much for that damage. Does that make any sense?
No that does not make sense. Refinishing and repainting a whole part is typically only needed when there is deep scratches down to the bare metal/plastic. Just a small scuff or scratches in the clear coat (looks to be based on your pictures) should not require refinishing.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
tlippold
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 330i Xdrive

I would not go through insurance for something so small as your premiums may go up or your car may be flagged as having damage via carfax. This looks pretty minor and easy to fix yourself or via a bumper repair service.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
lo_xyooj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335i

Like Billfitz said...if you spray some lubricant and it disappears you can probably buff it out with some compound and a DA. The deeper ones you'll probably have to get some form of putty/filler, light wet sand and touch it up.
My car has been through some rough patches as well but nothing you can do about it...Mine are worse than yours unfortunately
      12-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #15
charpour
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_xyooj View Post
Like Billfitz said...if you spray some lubricant and it disappears you can probably buff it out with some compound and a DA. The deeper ones you'll probably have to get some form of putty/filler, light wet sand and touch it up.
My car has been through some rough patches as well but nothing you can do about it...Mine are worse than yours unfortunately
Sorry to hear that, I hope you get it sorted it out without too much hassle.

Sometimes I feel like the harder you try to protect your car (always parking in a garage, always leaving a lot of space between the surrounding cars) the easier it is for such things to happen. I know people parking their cars literally anywhere and they don't have a single scratch, and I've had at least two incidents while the car was parked in quite isolated private parking spots. Unbelievable.
Appreciate 0