F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dealer service refusal
GetBMWParts

12-25-2016, 03:36 AM   #1
Ruru
French Polynesia
Rep
Drives: 428i

Dealer service refusal

Hello, I just bought a used 2016 428i in the US.

I brought it back to my country (Tahiti) and the local BMW dealer is refusing to service it. I didn't even go into the warranty question...
They are telling me that these are rules coming directly from Munich, no service on cars imported privately from the US.

Any advise on that?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

It sounds like crap to me - service should be OK.

I'd contact BMW in Munich directly.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 08:45 AM   #3
Rhyzen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M Sport 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruru View Post

I brought it back to my country (Tahiti) and the local BMW dealer is refusing to service it. I didn't even go into the warranty question...
They are telling me that these are rules coming directly from Munich, no service on cars imported privately from the US.

Any advise on that?

Thank you!
It's possible that different regions do not support cars outside of that region. Off hand, I don't know since that situation doesn't apply to me. As the previous post stated, reach out to BMW directly. I'm sure they want a happy customer. Hopefully they can service what is needed. If they can't perhaps there is an authorized shop that can service you within warranty.
      12-25-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
JollyRodger
Private
Rep
Drives: f31d

BMW and all auto manufacturers are having problems with people buying cars in the states, the bargin bin of car pricing, and then exporting them. You should have actually signed a piece of paper stating you will not export the car if you bought it in the States.

BMW can easily track what cars get serviced where thanks to scanning the fob. If the dealer said BMW says no, I would tend to belive them and if I were in their shoes I would not service it either if corporate told me not to.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
joz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335xi

This was a common position for dealers in Canada for cars imported from the US. Not my personal experience, but it made a lot of news here. It was the OEMs (not just BMW) way of discouraging importing from a country with more favourable pricing.

You may be Out of luck as it likely is a corporate policy.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
It was the OEMs (not just BMW) way of discouraging importing from a country with more favourable pricing.
True, and it happens with many goods, not just cars. But it should only apply to warranty work, and certainly not to doing any service on a used car.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Deelorship should gladly take your monies.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
JollyRodger
Private
Rep
Drives: f31d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
True, and it happens with many goods, not just cars. But it should only apply to warranty work, and certainly not to doing any service on a used car.
What better way for an OEM counter importing issues than to tell their dealers that they will lose their dealership if they service imported cars?

If there is no place to have it serviced fewer people will try and do those export/import deals.

There will always be someone else to take over the dealership franchise so the dealers know they can'take take the risk. I would suspect if the OP knew this going in they would not have bought the car.

Now the OP will tell his friendsand they will think twice. That is exactly what BMW wants.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRodger View Post
What better way for an OEM counter importing issues than to tell their dealers that they will lose their dealership if they service imported cars?.
I suspect that the OP wants warranty service. It is a 2016 model that he has. BMW won't terminate the dealership, they just won't cover warranty items. I also doubt that it's a BMW issue, it's probably an issue with whichever wholesale entity it is that imports BMW to French Polynesia. Whatever the exact reason, grey market goods are a real problem, and manufacturers of all products have the right to protect their interests, which grey market goods do threaten.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:

Any advise on that?

Thank you!
How much did you save overall? I know things in Papeete are expensive, but the cost of shipping a car to Tahiti and getting it registered there must be pretty high.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #11
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Too bad the OP didn't check with the dealer in Tahiti BEFORE purchasing the car in the US. Given the costs involved, that would seem prudent. Depends on the amount of the savings, but sometimes it's just not worth it.
      12-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

i'm not clear; are you saying they are refusing you the free service (understandable) or are they refusing to have you pay to service your car? (not understandable). your warranty and free maintenance definitely are void; but there is no reason why they would refuse to service your car in exchange for money..
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
Ruru
French Polynesia
Rep

The person at the service department has orders not to accept cars from the US, I am not taking about free service, I would of course pay for it.
I understand that they might not be too happy with privately imported vehicles but I was still surprised that they would not even service the car, it's still a BMW, that was bought legally and imported legally. Don't they have at least this responsibility? I am not even asking for warranty.
Anyway I was told this morning by a friend who works there that it is not true that Munich forbids them not to handle US imported cars but it is up to them to decide.
My country is small so there is a good chance that if I try to call up higher in the hierarchy the people that I know I could probably have it taken care of.
Plus I did buy a BMW R9T motorcycle 3 months ago from them... Prices here are pretty much double than in the US, the R9T cost me $30 000...
As for the the 4 series there is only one available at the dealership and I wasn't too crazy about it, it's a 430i with white leather, not too good for Tahiti. And by the way the price is $90 000...
Right now I'm debating with wether I try to push for them to still take it, knowing that I probably don't have the warranty anymore or wether I try to find a good mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 09:41 PM   #14
Ruru
French Polynesia
Rep

It ended up costing me $65 000, for a car with 3500 miles.
They didn't have what I wanted (black/black) but the equivalent here would've been $90 000. Too much for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Unlikely that BMW Munich would sanction this. Without looking into what the contract (purchase agreement) actually says, I would think that the manufacturer would have an obligation to service any of their cars, especially one still under warranty. Smells like breach of contract/warranty. What if you were an expat American who moved to Tahiti? Would their position be that you'd have to sell? What if you were an American working in Tahiti for a stretch?

Again, hard to see BMW signing off on this. The flipside is that US cars don't meet Tahitian government specifications... but again, that's something that should be disclosed in the purchase agreement, a list of countries where US-specified cars cannot be exported to (just as Euro-spec cars cannot be imported to the US.)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 02:15 AM   #16
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

BMW is great about servicing vehicles at any dealership, compared to other manufacturers which ever shrinking warranty plans that may be restricted to one local shop.

That being said, there is fine print when purchasing vehicle to not export due to the price differences in various countries.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #17
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Is there a US military installation on the island ? You could tell them you are part of the military that usually gets you around any silly restrictions like that.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #18
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joz View Post
It was the OEMs (not just BMW) way of discouraging importing from a country with more favourable pricing.
Dealers are not contractually obliged to provide service to any car unless it's within the stipulations of the warranty. If there are any restrictions regarding cars purchased outside of the country in which it currently resides in, it will be printed in the terms of the warranty.

OP, read your warranty fine print and make sure of the existence of these terms. Otherwise look for a reliable local BMW mechanic. Good luck!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:20 AM   #19
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was told this morning by a friend who works there that it is not true that Munich forbids them not to handle US imported cars but it is up to them to decide.
That being the case it seems that this dealer wants to enforce a monopoly on BMW sales by whatever means possible. I would not reward him with your patronage. Finding a good mechanic shouldn't be that difficult.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #20
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
The person at the service department has orders not to accept cars from the US, I am not taking about free service, I would of course pay for it.
I understand that they might not be too happy with privately imported vehicles but I was still surprised that they would not even service the car, it's still a BMW, that was bought legally and imported legally. Don't they have at least this responsibility? I am not even asking for warranty.
Anyway I was told this morning by a friend who works there that it is not true that Munich forbids them not to handle US imported cars but it is up to them to decide.
My country is small so there is a good chance that if I try to call up higher in the hierarchy the people that I know I could probably have it taken care of.
Plus I did buy a BMW R9T motorcycle 3 months ago from them... Prices here are pretty much double than in the US, the R9T cost me $30 000...
As for the the 4 series there is only one available at the dealership and I wasn't too crazy about it, it's a 430i with white leather, not too good for Tahiti. And by the way the price is $90 000...
Right now I'm debating with wether I try to push for them to still take it, knowing that I probably don't have the warranty anymore or wether I try to find a good mechanic.
This was an issue in USA in the 80s with Porsche and MB Grey Market cars coming in from Europe.

Though not the only reason in the 80s, as much issue now is different parts/coding for different regions. I have doubts that BMWs in your Region/Country use North America Parts/Coding.

For that reason alone, I can see the local Dealers refusing to work on the car.

The last thing they want is wiring differences, parts not working properly (that puts them in a liability issue), coding differences and car throwing error codes from out of region parts.

Hate to say it, but unfortunately I get where they are coming from.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #21
misterjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Quote:

Any advise on that?

Thank you!
Unfortunately, I can't help you, but I see that you live in Tahiti! OMG, that is where I live in my fantasy world!
Appreciate 0