F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > New F32 owner - some tech questions
GetBMWParts

09-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
ajm
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xDrive M Sport

Lightbulb New F32 owner - some tech questions

Hi everyone :-)

This week I picked up my new 420d xDrive M Sport Coupe, ordered with Pro Nav/Media and EBT. It's actually my first BMW and I'm loving it. However, I have noticed a few things from driving it over the past few days that I can't easily figure out.

Parking Sensors
The car is automatic and when I switch into reverse, parking sensors come on as you would expect. However, when I shift back into drive, the parking sensors STAY on. The majority of time I'm moving into drive to drive off, and I have to manually disengage the parking sensors, which seems a little odd.

While writing this, what I've figured out is I've not tested whether they will automatically go off if I speed up, or whether it's not intelligent enough to know that at 30mph, I am not trying to park! ;-)

Is this normal ??

Voice Control - Siri
I have an iPhone and while I know the iDrive and iPhone integration is practically non existent the Siri integration seems choppy. I can ask Siri to play types of music, but otherwise it's just hell bent on calling people from my contact list. I can't even ask it something simple, like "read my last text message". It just calls someone and I frantically mash the steering wheel buttons to hang up!

Is this normal ??

iDrive Multimedia - scrubbing track position
So I primarily stream music from my iPhone, either via BT (most of the time) or via USB (if it's low on power). BT streaming works AMAZINGLY well, I'm genuinely surprised. All the album art and playlist support is fantastic.

However, on both modes, I can't figure out how to scrub forwards or back within a track. If I hold forward/back down (e.g. on the iDrive controller), it does nothing until I release it, and then it just does a back track/next track.

Am I missing something ??

iDrive Multimedia - shuffle control from steering wheel
Following on from the above, when I'm listening to music I'm usually listening to a playlist (e.g. Gym, Driving, whatever), but I enable the Random mode to get a bit of variety. I can have up to 150 tracks in a playlist.

When I click Next Track on the iDrive controller, I get a new random track within that playlist. Works as expected - great.

However, if I use the steering wheel controls, it seems to drop out the playlist and into the entire music collection. On first use, I can scroll down to see a randomised list of tracks WITHIN the play list, as you would expect. I can select any track - even just the next one - and that works fine. But then, if I try again, it's moved outside the playlist and is now applying random/shuffle selection to my entire music collection.

Is this normal ??

Navigation Arrows
I've noticed that when I'm using the navigation system, once I arrive at a destination, the iDrive screen knows I've arrived and disengages the direction mode. However, I still get big direction arrows in my instrument cluster, even though I'm no longer in navigation mode. I have to go back into Nav, start navigation to a destination and then immediately cancel the directions to stop arrows on the instrument panel screen.

Is this normal?

Automatic Lights
I usually leave the car on automatic lights so they adjust to the external conditions. Works fine, but if the lights come on (e.g. going through a tunnel), they stay on for something like 5 minutes after the car's back in good light.

Is this normal ??

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated! :-)

Last edited by ajm; 09-14-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Parking Sensors
If your front PDC continues to beep when you are going forward and nothing is in front of you, that's not normal. At least it doesn't work that way with a 6MT.

Siri
I don't use it much, but when I have, it is a mixed bag. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Siri works very well for me when I'm just using the phone though.

Scrubbing
There are dedicated buttons for this on the dash, by the programmable buttons. There are left and right triangles. Push and hold to FF/REW.

Random Shuffle from Steering Wheel
This almost always works well for me. Occasionally what is displayed on the HUD for the play list gets out of sync with the randomized selection that's on the main iDrive. It usually fixes itself on it's own. I suspect it's the same with non-HUD cars. I've never seen it go completely outside a selected playlist though.

Navigation Arrows
Never seen that happen with the HUD. Can't answer about the console display.

Automatic Lights
That is normal. I believe they have that delay to avoid too much flickering in situations where ambient light comes off and on repeatedly...say like under some highways with multiple decks and posts.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Ganxxta
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F32 4er Coupé

Parking sensors:

normal, they go off above a certain speed, you can code this lower/higher if you want.
Its useful if you a parking and just need to do a small correction by going forward, in a tight spot you don't have to manually enable it again.

Lights:

They stay on for 2 minutes, I guess to avoid on/off, on/off to frequently.

btw. you should find such information also in the manual
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

I don't see the arrows on my instrument panel because I turned them off.

With the HUD, it seems like too many bells and whistles (or arrows, if you want to get picky about it).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
ajm
Rep
Drives: F32 420d xDrive M Sport

Thanks for the replies everyone - cleared a lot of stuff up! :-)

Parking sensors do actually go off if I leave it long enough.

Scrubbing does work - user error! ;-)

Random shuffle seems to have fixed itself, weirdly enough. It's not cropped up again anyway.

Navigation arrows still "hang around" after using Nav but meh. Not a biggie, I don't use it often.

Automatic lights is also fine.

Only weird thing is Siri which I will play around with. Perhaps it will work better over USB. :-)

Thanks everyone !!!!
F32 420d xDrive M Sport | Melbourne Red | Black Leather | Sport Automatic Transmission | Adaptive M Sport Suspension | M Sport Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Professional Media | Enhanced Bluetooth | Electric Lumbar Support | Electric Folding Mirrors

Appreciate 0