F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Anybody else find it cute Audi had to create the S line?
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

10-31-2012, 07:14 PM   #45
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
i don't really see your point.

for $2500 for sport line, essentially you get a sport suspension, 18" rims, summer rated tires and most importantly the sports seats. you also get trim that doesnt look like plastic that was spray painted with silver paint.

i would imagine buying after market parts to replace all that will cost more than $2500, especially the seats.

i mean theres other cosmetic things , like having black headliner etc, that well if you want it you get. even the b pillar trim outside is glossy instead of flat black. i mean for $2500 it doesnt seem like a terrible deal unless you hate the rims that come with some of the lines.

A sport suspension that I still would not consider "sport"...maybe sport comfort?
18" wheels that I would essentially replace right away. But they do look nice.
Summer rated tires that are run flats....and would be destroyed on a couple track days and would need to be swapped (have swapped mine already).
I think the silver painted is the same cheap material as the sport trim....are they different? Weight savings?
Black headliner I could care less for.
Glossy b-pillar? You mean the ones that chip?
Only thing I like are the sport seats but I've tracked mine already and I did not experience any sliding around in my seat (I expected to be all over the place and was surprised - even on 3 wheels).

That would be $2500 that I saved and can be used towards real performance mods or track time.
I guess its all what the buyer wants but in the end I still don't understand.

You should come out to the autoX event on Nov 11 at california speedway and utilize those sport parts and I would like to see what all those parts do for performance gains - I mean really, marginal differences? These aren't M3's.

I see you are in CC, I'm in ktown - we can roll up there together. There are a couple others going in their F30s.

Last edited by pkimM3r; 10-31-2012 at 07:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #46
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

The S models actually used to compete with the M3. And since many RS models don't make it to the states the S models do actually compete with the M3. Although they do it indirectly. And I am pretty sure that Audi had the S-Line BEFORE BMW came out with the M-Sport line, so its more like BMW had to create the M-Sport line.

S-Line and M-sport are both marketing BS (as far as naming is concerned) if you ask me.

Last edited by bimmerjph; 10-31-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
The S-Line actually used to compete with the M3.
Man. Really? The S-Line is a trim option You can have any Audi with any engine with S-Line spec. It's the same as M-Sport, no more
      10-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #48
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Man. Really? The S-Line is a trim option You can have any Audi with any engine with S-Line spec. It's the same as M-Sport, no more

Sorry I meant the S-cars. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:26 PM   #49
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

There does seem to be a lot of confusion between the two I don't think the thread title helps
      10-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #50
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
There does seem to be a lot of confusion between the two I don't think the thread title helps
I think so....this is directly from AudiUSA in the Features and Options - Packages section....its only available on the prestige trim of ANY car.

S line package (n/a with PPT, 5MG, 7TL, 5MT, H7U, 4ET)
Sport suspension (-20mm ride height)
S line embossed Alcantara / Leather sport seats
19" 5-segment-spoke wheels with 255/35 summer tires
Brushed Aluminum decorative inlays
Headlight washer system
Black cloth headliner
S line front & rear bumper & door sills
3-spoke flat-bottom steering wheel (with shift paddles on auto)
Body-colored door sill blades (beneath doors)
Four-way power lumbar support for front seats
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #51
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It's a similar package over here but simply a trim level for any car. You can get SE, SE Technik, S-Line or Black Edition as trim options

[In addition to SE spec]
Sports suspension 20mm lower than Standard (S line suspension 30mm lower than Standard – available in lieu of Sports suspension at no charge)
18” x 8J ‘5-spoke’ S line design alloy wheels with 245/40 R18 tyres
3-spoke S line multi-function steering wheel (paddle shift for automatic models)
S line embossed Sports seats including electric lumbar support
Black headlining
Matt-brushed aluminium inlays
Perforated leather gear knob
S line sill plates
Sprint Cloth/leather upholstery in black with Jet grey stitching
Bumper ‘blade’ in Platinum optic
Chrome fog light surround
Chrome rolled exhaust
S line exterior styling package including:
– S line side skirts
– S line front bumper
– S line rear diffuser
– S line badges on wings
Rear LED lights
Xenon headlights with LED daytime-running lights
Roof spoiler
Option of black or silver stitching to upholstery, steering wheel, gearshift gaiters and floor mats
      10-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #52
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ftw
335i vs S4...
People think because its an "S" its a million times better, which its not... at all. I find it hilarious how the S competes with the 335i, not even the M3

What do you guys think?
Audi see Audi do, that's typical Audi. Kind of cute.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #53
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
Audi see Audi do, that's typical Audi. Kind of cute.
I think there was an S4 before a 335? was it against the 330 of yesteryear?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 08:46 PM   #54
PGT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i X-Drive in Snapper Rocks

the S4 came out in the mid 1990's.
      10-31-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
And I am pretty sure that Audi had the S-Line BEFORE BMW came out with the M-Sport line, so its more like BMW had to create the M-Sport line.

S-Line and M-sport are both marketing BS (as far as naming is concerned) if you ask me.
Nope, BMW came out with S models way back in the 3 series history. In E30 we had the 318iS, 325iS, etc they were same as 318i and 325i but with sporty styling tweaks, alcantara cloth, basket weave wheels, blacked out chrome, much like M Sport today. Audi copied the S and BMW moved on to M.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #56
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
A sport suspension that I still would not consider "sport"...maybe sport comfort?
Summer rated tires that are run flats....and would be destroyed on a couple track days and would need to be swapped (have swapped mine already).
I think the silver painted is the same cheap material as the sport trim....are they different? Weight savings?
Only thing I like are the sport seats but I've tracked mine already and I did not experience any sliding around in my seat (I expected to be all over the place and was surprised - even on 3 wheels).

That would be $2500 that I saved and can be used towards real performance mods or track time.

You should come out to the autoX event on Nov 11 at california speedway and utilize those sport parts and I would like to see what all those parts do for performance gains - I mean really, marginal differences? These aren't M3's.

I see you are in CC, I'm in ktown - we can roll up there together. There are a couple others going in their F30s.
car won't arrive until like new years.... scheduled for production that week actaully. never autocrossed a car, do want to try it eventually.

as for the sport pack, well you are right all that stuff for a serious autox person is probably not that great compared to being able to pick your own stuff. the dash material on the lines is either wood or real metal so i guess there is a difference there by the way.

but yeah if you can get what you want for the $2500, well absolutely get what you want. i think basically the only thing i bothered ordering was the m-sport kit because i honestly like how it looks, plus its just sporty enough for me (that and i wanted the estoril blue paint), since im not like a serious autoX person or something, though who knows maybe i will get into it some day.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #57
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
In E30 we had the 318iS, 325iS, etc they were same as 318i and 325i but with sporty styling tweaks, alcantara cloth, basket weave wheels, blacked out chrome, much like M Sport today. Audi copied the S and BMW moved on to M.
E30 318iS had a DOHC 16v engine whereas the 318i had SOHC 8v. Don't thing there was a 325iS tho there was a 325i Sport, which has no "M" branding at all (tho "M" branded items such as steering wheel & bodykit are available as options or retrofits for the whole range). There was also a 320iS but that was only available in Italy & very few other EU markets. That was basically a 2.0 version of the M3 engine fitted to a regular E30 bodyshell. Again no M branded items on that car.
If I remember correctly the first cars to have M-sport as a package was back in 99/00 with the E39 & E38. Audi's S-Line package didn't appear until the early noughties on the B6 A4.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #58
Cfichman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3P

Garage List
My lord only a few people in this entire thread actually understands the nomenclature. It seems that nobody is understanding the distinction between a s4 and an a4 2.0t s-line. People are using s-line for s cars interchangeably. S-line is essentially the same a msport, purely cosmetic.
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance Current
2020 M340i (Wife's Car)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #59
MaX PL
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

yeh but which is the OP even referring to as he talks about the S4 in his post?

this whole thread is a mess.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #60
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
car won't arrive until like new years.... scheduled for production that week actaully. never autocrossed a car, do want to try it eventually.

as for the sport pack, well you are right all that stuff for a serious autox person is probably not that great compared to being able to pick your own stuff. the dash material on the lines is either wood or real metal so i guess there is a difference there by the way.

but yeah if you can get what you want for the $2500, well absolutely get what you want. i think basically the only thing i bothered ordering was the m-sport kit because i honestly like how it looks, plus its just sporty enough for me (that and i wanted the estoril blue paint), since im not like a serious autoX person or something, though who knows maybe i will get into it some day.
I'm gonna take you up on that! Be ready!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #61
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

Agreed, which is why I was trying to find a base F30 and negotiate on that...like a house, buying a car is about getting something with "good bones", ie the N55.

-Suspension: M Perf Suspension is $1089 at Steve Thomas BMW, installed probably $1500 total; interview with German dude about M parts said this was more performance oriented than the M Sport line.
-Brakes: M Perf Brakes are about $2100 from BMW dealer in MD, installed, $2500; same size/dimensions as potentially the next gen M3 brakes, so another one up there.
-Seats: that's where it's lacking, I do wish I had more bolsters, but I'm not tracking this thing, so...didn't matter to me.

I think the 335i [M Sport or one with above accessories] competes with an S4, which I considered heavily when looking at cars. But I saved nearly $15,000 getting a base 335i. After investing $4k for brakes and suspension (listed above) AND spending $2k on a Dinan/PPK tune, I'll be stomping on S4's and possibly RS4's...

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #62
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
yeh but which is the OP even referring to as he talks about the S4 in his post?

this whole thread is a mess.
Its pretty obvious from reading his original post that the OP knows very little Audi, he doesn’t even the know the difference between the S-line and the S4. People find things silly because they know very little about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #63
G3333
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Its pretty obvious from reading his original post that the OP knows very little Audi, he doesn’t even the know the difference between the S-line and the S4. People find things silly because they know very little about it.
i think youre the one who doesnt know anything about audi, the "S"4 is part of the "S" line... i only started this thread because when people see a 335 and an s4 next to each other, people think its comparing a lambo to a honda
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #64
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ftw View Post
i think youre the one who doesnt know anything about audi, the "S"4 is part of the "S" line
Can someone please explain the difference between a S4 and a S-line model to him.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #65
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ftw View Post
335i vs S4...
People think because its an "S" its a million times better, which its not... at all. I find it hilarious how the S competes with the 335i, not even the M3

What do you guys think?
I think you need to learn the letter R, as in RS.

Are you saying Audi can't figure out how to add horsepower to their cars, so they can only get an S4 up to 320hp and therefore have no choice to compete with the 335i?

Yeah, it's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
Umm, no. S Line is a trim level, like "Sport" for BMW. The S models like S3, S4, S5, S6, S7 and S8 are distinct models that have upgraded drivetrains and suspension and generally come about a year or so after a model update. The RS models are the ones that come last.....generally only for a year or two as they're pretty special.
S-line is not a trim level. You can buy a A4 S-line. It has more power. The S4 and the S-line are not the same thing. S-line is like Audi's version of a M sport package, except that it actually adds power.

See....not a S4...an A4 S-line

F30ftw comes on here shitting on another brand's car and doesn't even know what the hell he's talking about. Oh right, it's the internet.

Last edited by jtuds; 11-01-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Agreed, which is why I was trying to find a base F30 and negotiate on that...like a house, buying a car is about getting something with "good bones", ie the N55.

-Suspension: M Perf Suspension is $1089 at Steve Thomas BMW, installed probably $1500 total; interview with German dude about M parts said this was more performance oriented than the M Sport line.
-Brakes: M Perf Brakes are about $2100 from BMW dealer in MD, installed, $2500; same size/dimensions as potentially the next gen M3 brakes, so another one up there.
-Seats: that's where it's lacking, I do wish I had more bolsters, but I'm not tracking this thing, so...didn't matter to me.

I think the 335i [M Sport or one with above accessories] competes with an S4, which I considered heavily when looking at cars. But I saved nearly $15,000 getting a base 335i. After investing $4k for brakes and suspension (listed above) AND spending $2k on a Dinan/PPK tune, I'll be stomping on S4's and possibly RS4's...
Smart man. Those labor costs you are getting quoted are pretty awesome. They are so expensive out here that I end up doing all the wrenching myself. I need a garage with a hydraulic lift.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread