F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Car Restraint for Fido?

06-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
BMWGally
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Car Restraint for Fido?

Guys, I'm planning to connect a dog harness in my car's regular seat belt so my dog will be fastened safely while I'm driving. I occasionally bring my pooch when I do cross-country travels. Do you have suggestions or recommendations? By the way, my dog is a 50-pound Golden Retriever.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

There is lots of system out there so it depends on what you want.

We have 30lb dog which is high energy. But she sits nicely in the back seat and never jumps around, she loves the car ride. However, we got a chest harness with a D ring on the back that has a leash that just clips into the seatbelt Latch. It is mainly to keep her from flying into the front of the car in a sudden stop. I would also recommend get a seat cover, dog nails can do a job on leather seats.

I would not recommend getting one that the seatbelt has to slide through, those are a pain to deal with specially if your dog jumps around. The one we have makes it easy to control her getting into the car, and one quick click into the seatbelt latch and you are set.

here is the type we have and you can use the stap to the seatbelt clip as leash if needed.

Here is the seat cover we got for the BMW

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Maestro; 06-06-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
BMWGally
Rep

Nice one. It's really a hassle to hold the dog's body while the car is moving, that's why I want to leave the job to a dependable dog harness.
Does the package come with a safety tether as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
BMWGally
Rep

By the way Maestro, I was searching for a harness online, and I came across this Travel dog harness. Have you tried this particular brand? Any feedback about it?
Also, I think I need to get a dog seat cover as suggested earlier.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #5
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

I would said there is too many steps to get your dog into that harness.

The one I showed is close to the one we have, it has one clip on the back with d-ring no fussing to get the dog into the harness. This is the second harness we had, the first one broke, but had two clips to get the dog locked in and it was more cumbersome. Any time the harness comes out our dog is all excited we wanted something that allow us to get it on quick and easily.

This hardness all come with the safety tether and it can be used a leash if needed. With the D-ring you can always put your regular leash on the harness.

Also the one you found does not use the clasps to hook into the seat belt clip. I like that feature it makes it quick and easily to get the dog secured into the car.
Appreciate 0