F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BIMMERPOST First Drive of 2012 335i (and 328i Review) From F30 US Press Launch
proTUNING Freaks

02-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation BIMMERPOST First Drive of 2012 335i (and 328i Review) From F30 US Press Launch

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BIMMERPOST First Drive of 2012 335i (and 328i Review) From F30 US Press Launch
COMMENTS
Name:  IMG_7045.JPG
Views: 24883
Size:  195.1 KB

THE SETUP

Where: Monterey, California - January 30-31, 2012

What: F30 US Press Launch. First Test Drives of 2012 335i and F30 6 speed

How: 2 days with F30 3 Series, including a half day on the Laguna Seca track.

Background: I owned an E90 325i (auto) and current car is E90 M3 (6-speed MT).

THE DRIVE

335i (With 6 Speed Manual):

The all new 2012 335i sedan is powered by the N55 single turbo twin-scroll turbo inline-6 cylinder engine (with direct injection and valvetronic), in the same form as the outgoing 2011 335i E90 sedan and current 335i E92 coupe. The U.S. 335i is quoted as producing 300hp / 300 lb-ft torque and achieves 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds for both auto and manual. Maximum horsepowers is achieved at 5800 RPM and max torque at just 1300 RPM (until 5000 RPM). Official US 335i MPG ratings are 23 city / 33 highway for auto transmission and 20 city / 30 highway for manual transmission.

How does the N55 feel and perform in the 335i? In a word, familiar. It feels like it does in the E90/E92 335i - flexible and torquey. Throttle response is pretty immediate and if there's any complaint at all, it's only that the engine begins to run out of breath at the very upper RPM limits. The N55 showed its flexibility in our split track-and-road driving agenda. Its wide max torque band provided ample acceleration always on tap for spirited driving around town or overtaking on the highway. This flexibility was also evident on the track, where, for someone's first time on Laguna Seca (myself), being in an suboptimal gear coming out of a turn still meant that there was ample power on hand.

How does the 335i sound? The engine sound from the outside left us wanting for more, but it sounds great in the interior. The exhaust sound is overall a throaty growl with some nice burbling on deceleration. Hearing the 335i fly by on the track's back straight at wide open throttle we heard mostly exhaust noise, but it was some beautiful noise! Have a listen at the 335i for yourself in the videos below.

The 335i models we drove each had the 6 speed manual transmission, which again, felt familiar. Although the shifter mechanism is a new one compared to the E90, BMW didn't reinvent the wheel here. Shifts are accurate and provide good feedback without being too notchy, and the throw distances are typical of those in late model non-M cars.

328i (With 8 Speed Automatic):

I'll admit that I too was a skeptic of this 4-cylinder engine when it was announced to be replacing the N52 6-cylinder inline engine across the BMW lineup. As for pairing a 4 cylinder engine with an automatic transmission? Pfft, we might as well just drive an econobox! I'll have my crow prepared medium-well please. Of all things we experienced at the F30 drives, the 328i with its twinpower turbo N20 engine paired to the new automatic 8 speed transmission (with Sport Auto Paddle Shifter (2TB) option) was the most impressive. By most impressive, we mean to say that it left the biggest impression, not that it was necessarily the best overall car. You can attribute it to my low expectations, but my impressions were shared by many of the other attendees after testing the automatic 328i.

The N20 in the 328i makes 240hp / 255lb-ft torque. This is 60 lb-ft more torque than the E90 328i and propels the F30 with plenty of grunt. The new 328i hits 0-60mph in a factory quoted 5.9 seconds (manual) and 5.7 seconds (manual), 0.6 seconds faster than the E90. It felt faster than that at times and BMW tends to be conservative with their official performance figures, so don't be surprised to see even faster tested times. Peak torque comes in at just 1250 RPM and is available until 4800 RPM. Like the 335i, the 328i is responsive off the line. Once the turbos really get going, the tachometer needle moves up and down easily in the above 3000 RPM range. It was some mad fun to keep it in this range as the engine was more rev happy than we anticipated. Like the 335i, the 328i's engine proved its flexibility in all situations. The wide and strong torque band was useful for town, highway, and track.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 26672
Size:  26.5 KB
The new 8 speed automatic transmission (ZF 8HP) was equally impressive, especially the Sport Auto Option with paddle shifters, which is available as an option for Sport Line and M Sport models. The Sport Auto Option shares the same mechanicals as the standard automatic, but speeds up shift times. For comparison, this new 8 speed transmission shifts in 200ms while BMW's DCT transmission shifts in 30-200ms, so this new ZF 8HP transmission is pretty darn fast. Kicking the gears down via paddle shifter while above 3000 RPM was one of the highlights of the entire two day driving experience. The tach needle immediately sweeps right and you feel a surge of power right away. The Sport Auto option with paddle shifters does shift noticeably faster (not to mention more fun) than the regular auto transmission in manual mode, so it's something we recommend for those auto owners who will frequently shift manually. For some visuals to go along with this description, see below for some driving footage we recorded in a 328i Sport Line with the 8 speed auto transmission and Sport Auto option with paddle shifters.

We didn't drive the 328i manual on the track, but got some time in it on the road and the acceleration is even more impressive than the already impressive automatic transmission. It's officially quoted as being 0.2 seconds faster to 60mph than the automatic and that's due to its short rear end gearing (F30 technical and gear ratio data). As you can see in these specs, it has even shorter gearing than the 335i's manual transmission.

Are there any drawbacks to the 328i? I suppose that would be its sound in some situations. At idle and low RPMs, the the N20 sounds rough - like a turbo diesel. But, once it hits the higher RPMs under load, it does sound wonderful in-cabin (see driving videos below). The 328i's exterior exhaust note is not bad and not great, but does sound good for a 4 cylinder.

328i and 335i Sound Comparison Video

Given its impressive performance and excellent fuel economy, the 328i is the better value of the two models. Official US 328i MPG ratings are 24 city / 36 highway for auto transmission and 23 city / 34 highway for manual transmission. Hypermilling in ECO Pro mode should allow 40+ MPG. With the introduction of this new 328i, we can easily see the sales ratio of 328i-to-335i moving towards the 328i side, especially when/if gasoline prices rise. But, for buyers looking for the best performance from their 3 series without cost or fuel mileage concerns, the 335i clearly provides better performance and sound.

THE RIDE

The one attribute on which BMWs have always been able to separate itself from competitors is handling. That continues with this sixth generation 3 series. Back in our first test drive of the F30 328i in Barcelona, we called the handling as good as it gets for this segment. After the US launch drives, we stick by that assessment. The F30's suspension somehow provides a more comfortable ride than the E90, while retaining its glued-to-the-road feeling and handling prowess. Kudos to the BMW suspension magicians (engineers)!

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 24187
Size:  58.6 KB
Throughout the two days, we threw many conditions at the F30 - from the ruts and bumps of neighborhood streets, to the challenging Laguna Seca track's corners and corkscrew, to the twisties of the Pacific Coast Highway winding through Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur. The F30 was a champ in handling through the different conditions, both with and without sport suspension (standard on the Sport Line models). The sport suspension lowers the car by 10mm and provides for an even sportier handling experience, particularly with Sport or Sport+ mode turned on (more on the driving modes below), but the regular suspension is no slouch. If handling is of high importance to you, you should really consider the sport suspension or adaptive M Sport suspension as they do have an appreciable benefit. Although the F30 feels well planted at all times, it somehow feels lighter on its feet with more nimbleness than the E90. I suspect some of that feel comes from the lighter steering (more on that below).

The F30's latest generation runflat tires (RFT) have come a long way since the first generation ones on my 2006 325i. They are less noisy, more compliant, and grippier than ever. They're so good that I did not even think about them until late into my first day of driving, as they never made a fuss.

Around town and highway, the F30 is more mature. The cabin is quieter and the suspension soaks up bumps better than before (also owing to improved RFTs). But, BMW has made sure that the engine and exhaust noises can still be experienced in the car once you engage in more spirited driving.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 24894
Size:  58.9 KB
As expected, the track session proved to be the most eye opening experience when assessing the F30's handling ability. BMW had two of their professional racing drivers, Joey Hand (DTM/ALMS) and Bill Auberlen (ALMS), on hand to help. The laps by myself and a few more as a passenger next to Joey and Bill (in-car videos below) revealed a new 3 series that handles better than ever and with a few new tricks. Switching into Sport Mode sharpens the throttle response and tightens up the steering, while also firming up the suspension on adaptive sport suspension equipped Sport Line and M Sport models. Feeling more adventurous? Switch into Sport+ mode which turns off DSC for some more slippage. The F30 exhibits some understeer at corners to help deal with excess speed but is fairly neutral overall. As before, this new 3 series remains an extremely capable, yet forgiving machine on the track and twisties.

How does the 328i and 335i compare in handling? While both are excellent, the 328i edges out the 335i. The 328i has slightly sharper front end turn-in than the 335i (as Joey Hand also comments on in the track video). This can be attributed to the 328's smaller and lighter N20 engine (by about 60-70kg over the N55 if I have my numbers correct). The N20's smaller physical size also allows for more of its weight to be placed further back in the engine bay, resulting in less weight over the front suspension.

Any discussion of handling involves the steering as well. The F30's utilizes electric power steering (EPS), as in the F10 5 series and E89 Z4. Many a BMW fan, myself included, cringe at the thought of EPS, but I was pleased with it in the F30. Those used to the E90 will notice immediately that the steering is much lighter, particularly in Comfort mode, which is nice for casual driving around town but too light for spirited driving. The Sport and Sport+ modes tighten up the steering nicely however, with good feedback and sharp/precise steering. But, for comparison, even in the Sport and Sport+ modes, the steering is lighter than in my E90 325i (which was actually too heavy at low speeds). I came away with the impression that lighter steering does not necessarily mean worse, so long as it retains good feedback and sharp steering, which the F30 EPS does. For those seeking even sportier steering and handling, the F30 is offered with optional Adaptive M Sport Steering and Adaptive M Sport Suspension (electronically controlled dampening).

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 27962
Size:  51.3 KB
THE MODES

Standard on all models is a toggle next to the shift lever which toggles four driving modes - ECO Pro, Comfort, Sport, and Sport+*. The ECO Pro is really only useful for hypermilling because it remaps the throttle and kills engine responsiveness. It also reduces other energy drags by running systems such as seat warmers and the air unit at reduced capacities. We were told it can achieve 40+ MPG with the 328i. As we've mentioned throughout, going from Comfort mode to Sport mode results in more aggressive throttle mapping and transmission shifts, firms up the suspension, and tightens the steering, all without making the ride harsh. Sport+ goes further and switches DSC off to allow for more drift, while maintaining DTC to prevent the driver from completely losing control.

*Sport+ is included with any of these options: Sport Line, M Sport Line, Sport Auto Transmission, Adaptive Suspension, Variable Sports Steering

THE INTERIOR

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 25232
Size:  49.4 KB
I've personally experienced the E90 interior in one form or another as an owner since 2005 and the F30's interior is bar none a step up in quality. The fit and finish is an improvement and most everything in the cabin has a solid feel and look to it. The dash design is more driver oriented than the E90 and the gauges and other digital readouts glow in classic BMW amber. All controls have a familiar tactile feedback and fall easily at hand. Any previous BMW owner will feel at home in the F30. We recommend the sport seats as they really do provide a significant improvement over the regular seats in the amount of support they provide. P.S., as for the cupholder position (directly in front of shifter) that many gripe about, there's a tray that comes with the car that fits directly over the holders.

PRICING AND AVAILABILITY

The cost for the sixth generation 3 Series starts at $34,900 for the base 328i and $42,400 for the base 335i (pricing details / options details). The worldwide market launch into dealers comes in just days - on Saturday, February 11th. The F30 M Sport model begins production this July, for delivery beginning September. The AWD xDrive and Activehybrid models will also be released in approximately the same time frame.

FINAL WORD

So, is the F30 a revolutionary or evolutionary new model? With the exception of the new turbo 4-cylinder N20 engine of the 328i, there's little doubt that this is a evolutionary new 3 series model. BMW was smart to restrain itself from overtinkering with a formula which worked so well for the E90, while at the same time improving on some necessary areas - fuel economy, ride comfort, and interior quality. There's no bad choices to be made when choosing which F30 model. both the 328i and 335i are highly capable, fun, and offer more as a 3 series than ever before.

For on location images of the F30 328i and 335i from the US Press Launch, see our photo threads:

F30 US Press Launch: Sport Lines in Alpine White, Glacier Silver and Melbourne Red
F30 US Press Launch: Luxury Lines in Black, Mineral Grey, Havana and Imperial Blue
F30 US Press Launch: Sport Lines in Alpine White, Glacier Silver and Melbourne Red
Our First Photos From BMW F30 3 Series US Press Drives

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

GREAT JOB JASON AND THE WHOLE TEAM @ BIMMERPOST for this entire week's review of the US spec F30s! I am sure you all had a great time, and will be having drawback very shortly!

Lucky dogs that you are for experiencing all that first hand!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

In the "Modes" paragragh, I believe there's a slight error. Not all models get Sport+. My understanding is that only the Sport and M-Sport lines get the Sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
In the "Modes" paragragh, I believe there's a slight error. Not all models get Sport+. My understanding is that only the Sport and M-Sport lines get the Sport+ mode.
It's more complicated than that. It's included in Sport and M-Sport lines but also with other options like sport auto or adaptive suspension. Hence we felt like we can use this simplification even tho it's -- like you say -- a bit inaccurate. We've added a disclaimer now.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Excellent review, thanks!

As expected, the 335i is faster, but the 328i is slightly better in handling. The steering, handling and ride comfort sounds perfect for me. Ditto for the 8speed Sport Auto.

Jason, any comments regarding the exterior design? How does the front look in person?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannabimmer View Post
Excellent review, thanks!

As expected, the 335i is faster, but the 328i is slightly better in handling. The steering, handling and ride comfort sounds perfect for me. Ditto for the 8speed Sport Auto.

Jason, any comments regarding the exterior design? How does the front look in person?
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

I purposely did not get into styling as that's a very subjective matter and there's been more than enough photos and videos posted by now for everyone to get a good sense of how the car looks.

Personally, I've been a fan of the F30 front end since it was revealed. I like the unique and creative way in which BMW has now exposed the sides of the kidney grilles, making them 3D. And I like the headlight-to-grille connection. Kidney grille shape is nice - very sleek and not too vertical which I was afraid it might be after seeing the 7 series grilles. I love the nine 3D grille slats on the Sport Line model (as opposed to the eleven flat grille slats on the other models). From the profile, the front looks awesome. It's got that more upright forward leaning shark-like nose, and again, the exposed sides of the kidney grilles adds a unique look never seen before on other production cars.

The only thing I don't like as much is the new hood cut line. Despite seeing it for a couple of years now on several late model BMWs introduced before the F30, it still hasn't grown on me much. But BMW says it's there as part of the design for pedestrian safety reasons, so it's not going away. Also, on the non M-sport models, the front seems a bit "thin," compared to the rear. I wish the lower bumper cover was just a bit lower and beefier to better match the rear's beefiness. But that's what the M Sport line is for. And I'm a huge fan of that. It's aggressive, stylish, and gives the car's front end a lot more powerful presence.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
2wheels4me
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 Black 335i sport sedan

Great review, much useful insight, nicely written. I was hoping for a 335i Auto experience, but oh, well. I'll try to imagine. Should be a great combo.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels4me View Post
Great review, much useful insight, nicely written. I was hoping for a 335i Auto experience, but oh, well. I'll try to imagine. Should be a great combo.
Sorry, just wasn't able to try out every single combination and model line.

Shouldn't be hard to imagine though. Just look at the in-car video of the 328i sport line with auto transmission and imagine it even faster But yes, it should be a great combo. That ZF 8HP transmission with Sport Auto - paddle shifter option is really really excellent.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
fusion01
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Ford Focus ST: 2.5l /5 cyl

Garage List
Great review, thanks. Owning the n54 for 6 months after a 4 cyl turbo I certainly appreciate the increase in power, but what with fuel prices on the up, I might revert in 3 yrs plus. Hoping for 300 HP and 35mpg + from the next 328i, then it's a done deal
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #10
2wheels4me
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 Black 335i sport sedan

Thanks again, Jason. I heard a few comments elsewhere about road noise, perhaps due to tires. Anything more than what an e90 with sport suspension and summer runflats has? Or is just now more noticeable and out-of-character, given the plusher ride and always-excellent composure? Or did you notice anything at all?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheels4me View Post
Thanks again, Jason. I heard a few comments elsewhere about road noise, perhaps due to tires. Anything more than what an e90 with sport suspension and summer runflats has? Or is just now more noticeable and out-of-character, given the plusher ride and always-excellent composure? Or did you notice anything at all?
I didn't notice any particularly loud road noise, just the usual wind noises at high speeds. I thought the runflats were very low noise. But then again my 2006 E90 325i had first generation runflats which were incredibly noisy and harsh.

As I said in the review, I didn't even think about the RFTs much because they never did anything to make me notice (noise or harshness).
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

i always liked the "fat" rear tires of 3 series...not any more with F30...will certainly miss those..
just like how MB W203 used to have nice fat reat tires and now with W204 all same size same width tires front and back.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
scott@bmwhn
Major
Rep
Drives: Msport X3

Great review, Thanks!

can't wait till we get some hands on experience.

Previous: 20' X3 M40i, 19' 740i Msport, 17' 430i GC, 15' Msport X3 28i, 15' Sportline X1 28i, 13' Msport 328i, 09' Msport 335i, 07' Msport 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Have to say having seen the three normal lines in person, it's a very impressive car indeed. Much better than the E90 in every way, IMO. I always thought that the E90 looked less distinctive and classy than the E46 and still do to this day.

The F30 brings the BMW-ness back. Glad to hear it's not gone from the chassis / ride / handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
7or8
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i 6MT MSport

Thanks for the write up and great videos Jason! Great to hear the engine sound comparison.

Here's a question. After your experience.. do you think you'll be buying an F30? If so what model would you lean toward?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #16
okolisr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 435i xDrive Msport 6MT

Jason, was there any chance to compare cars with and without "variable sport steering" in terms of steering feel and tightness (beyond the variable ratio)? Also, do I read correctly that you improve steering feel and tightness the same amount in ALL F30s (regardless of lines, options,etc.) by switching mode from "comfort" to "sport"? And that there is no additional change in steering feel going from "sport" to "sport+" in models equipped with sport+?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
iwannabimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda6s grand touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

I purposely did not get into styling as that's a very subjective matter and there's been more than enough photos and videos posted by now for everyone to get a good sense of how the car looks.

Personally, I've been a fan of the F30 front end since it was revealed. I like the unique and creative way in which BMW has now exposed the sides of the kidney grilles, making them 3D. And I like the headlight-to-grille connection. Kidney grille shape is nice - very sleek and not too vertical which I was afraid it might be after seeing the 7 series grilles. I love the nine 3D grille slats on the Sport Line model (as opposed to the eleven flat grille slats on the other models). From the profile, the front looks awesome. It's got that more upright forward leaning shark-like nose, and again, the exposed sides of the kidney grilles adds a unique look never seen before on other production cars.

The only thing I don't like as much is the new hood cut line. Despite seeing it for a couple of years now on several late model BMWs introduced before the F30, it still hasn't grown on me much. But BMW says it's there as part of the design for pedestrian safety reasons, so it's not going away. Also, on the non M-sport models, the front seems a bit "thin," compared to the rear. I wish the lower bumper cover was just a bit lower and beefier to better match the rear's beefiness. But that's what the M Sport line is for. And I'm a huge fan of that. It's aggressive, stylish, and gives the car's front end a lot more powerful presence.
Thanks again for the feedback.

I know looks can be subjective. But it is always good to read someone's impressions of the car. BTW, which exterior/interior color combo looked the best to you?

Regarding the steering, were all the cars you drove equipped with the variable sport steering or were some of the cars without it?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Jason,

I may have missed it in the review, but were you able to test the Adaptive M Sport Steering and Adaptive M Sport Suspension?

Great write up by the way!

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #19
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
i always liked the "fat" rear tires of 3 series...not any more with F30...will certainly miss those..
just like how MB W203 used to have nice fat reat tires and now with W204 all same size same width tires front and back.
That's where the 19inch optional wheels come in... 255
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #20
bl@ster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Great review! Thanks for posting. Makes me feel even better about my f30 order...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Ok, everytime a new BMW comes out (F10) they claim how the new next generation run flats are soooo much better than the previous ones. As I have read, seems like a lot of F10's have a lot of tire issues and complaints of Harsh ride over certain road imperfections that wouldn't upset other cars running on regular tires. Even consumer reports points that out in there F10 535i test. A runflat might have improved a little but over time they make more noise and they always ride worst than a regular tire.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
That's where the 19inch optional wheels come in... 255
those 19's add a good amount of weight