F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 328i vs 335i (F30) In-Car Acceleration Comparison Video
Extreme Powerhouse

08-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott
If you're gonna do it, do it.

M3
      08-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #24
///MPower
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachsideF30
These videos have been out for months...
Yea they have but the point is a side by side comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #25
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
I'll take the 28i for the smoother ride :P
Shorter engine block, lighter weight, placed further back from the front wheels, less rotational mass....

...as for sound... I am sure a straight pipe instead of muffler will cure all your concerns.
      08-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #26
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
I say get an N54 335i with full bolt ons and tune, and embarres that M3...
I say get a 2JZ Supra with 40R turbo and embarrass that 335i.

(See what I did there)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #27
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff
Quote:

(See what I did there)
I say get an alpha omega gtr or a ugr gallardo... can't really up that.
      08-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Damn why didn't someone tell me before I wasted all this money on an M3.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Nice comparison.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Both cars have their definitve purpose... if you're interested in all out straightline racing. There is no current modern day BMW that can beat a single turbo 335...
      08-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #31
///mkid
Rep
Drives: fixie bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Both cars have their definitve purpose... if you're interested in all out straightline racing. There is no current modern day BMW that can beat a single turbo 335...
Supercharger M3 or M5? 😱
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #32
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post

(See what I did there)
But that would mean you'd have to drive a Supra and then YOU would be embarrassed!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
The Economist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i "M-Sport" MPPK MPE

When I was a young man, I took a portion of my signing bonus upon the completion of my studies and purchased a Saturn Sky Redline. That car had a 2.0L turbo, not unlike the 328i. GM subsequently released a factory-approved software modification ("mod", if you will) which boosted the hp/tq to 290/340 - the car still had unbelievable fuel economy (2.0L, less than 3,000 lbs), handled beautifully (very little mass at the front), and was, overall, pure driving pleasure.

What I'm driving at is that with increasingly stringent legislation and increasingly unfavourable supply/demand fundamentals for fossil fuels, the 2.0t represents the engine (and thought process) of the future. I think the 328i is logically one of the best mid-size saloons of a sporting nature out there today - and, I can tell you that this is coming from someone who has had an anti-BMW bias for his whole life (some of the BMW clientele I've come across has proven to be most unfortunate, for humanity in general... you know, the guy with the wide open shirt and gold chain racing to the bumper of the car in front of him... stomping on the brakes... weaving like an idiot in traffic... and on it goes...).

What is undeniable, though, is the charm of the 3.0t. I've driven both cars, and while the performance difference between them is perhaps negligible in a practical "real world" scenario - within a few tenths here/there - the feel is totally different. The sound of the three-litre signs the beautiful tune of a bygone era. The feel is intangible, but it's definitely a cut above. If you don't have to make the logical choice, go for the 335i - the days of this old-school driving enjoyment are numbered.

If I were to "value" the cars on measurable quantities (including applicable insurance, consumption, payments) per tangible unit of performance, I think the 328i is indisputably best. However, if I didn't have to make the logical choice based on my current situation (wife will be driving the car to commute, impossible for me to get any time to myself to just have a Sunday morning blast through the countryside), I would certainly be in the 335i in a heartbeat.

It's a simple choice - one is the logical choice, and the other is the emotional choice. Whichever choice you've made, congratulations on making the right one. I think our friends in Europe would most certainly go for the 328i ninety-nine times out of a hundred - there's always one crazy bastard who just can't help himself (we salute you!).

Ah, what a timeless pub debate ...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #34
[DIM3]
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer
Did someone actually say "if you turn down the volume, they sound the same"?
Hahahaha

2012 JB E93 M3 - 20xHRE P101 [Brushed Clear], Ohlins, ModeCarbon, Forcewerkz, ACM, Lightmodz, Stoptech, BMW Perf
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:01 AM   #35
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
When I was a young man, I took a portion of my signing bonus upon the completion of my studies and purchased a Saturn Sky Redline. That car had a 2.0L turbo, not unlike the 328i. GM subsequently released a factory-approved software modification ("mod", if you will) which boosted the hp/tq to 290/340 - the car still had unbelievable fuel economy (2.0L, less than 3,000 lbs), handled beautifully (very little mass at the front), and was, overall, pure driving pleasure.

What I'm driving at is that with increasingly stringent legislation and increasingly unfavourable supply/demand fundamentals for fossil fuels, the 2.0t represents the engine (and thought process) of the future. I think the 328i is logically one of the best mid-size saloons of a sporting nature out there today - and, I can tell you that this is coming from someone who has had an anti-BMW bias for his whole life (some of the BMW clientele I've come across has proven to be most unfortunate, for humanity in general... you know, the guy with the wide open shirt and gold chain racing to the bumper of the car in front of him... stomping on the brakes... weaving like an idiot in traffic... and on it goes...).

What is undeniable, though, is the charm of the 3.0t. I've driven both cars, and while the performance difference between them is perhaps negligible in a practical "real world" scenario - within a few tenths here/there - the feel is totally different. The sound of the three-litre signs the beautiful tune of a bygone era. The feel is intangible, but it's definitely a cut above. If you don't have to make the logical choice, go for the 335i - the days of this old-school driving enjoyment are numbered.

If I were to "value" the cars on measurable quantities (including applicable insurance, consumption, payments) per tangible unit of performance, I think the 328i is indisputably best. However, if I didn't have to make the logical choice based on my current situation (wife will be driving the car to commute, impossible for me to get any time to myself to just have a Sunday morning blast through the countryside), I would certainly be in the 335i in a heartbeat.

It's a simple choice - one is the logical choice, and the other is the emotional choice. Whichever choice you've made, congratulations on making the right one. I think our friends in Europe would most certainly go for the 328i ninety-nine times out of a hundred - there's always one crazy bastard who just can't help himself (we salute you!).

Awesome response! I'd have to say I agree wholeheartedly!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #36
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Did someone actually say "if you turn down the volume, they sound the same"?
in the doubler link the video on the right is louder. they were probably using different cameras so it wasn't a good comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:

I always opt for the logical. Like you said, in real world driving, how often will you get to open up a 335i to its full potential. I know there are tracks and stuff, but I like my bones and skin intact. A 328i gives me practicality and that driving pleasure within the normal driving range of a sports sedan. Better gas mileage for the pocket, and the M-Sport looks awesome. I think the fastest I've ever driven any vehicle was my 1997 VW Jetta Manual. Was late for a wedding. I had one 300lb guy in the front seat and two guys in the back. I myself was north of 250lbs. My VW went up to 110mph. Bless her heart. Lost her to a Buick driven by an old lady with thick glasses and a cane.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #38
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
Sorry but 328i doesn't live up to it's fame IMO.
I was expecting so much for this highly regarded 4cyl turbo and when I went for the event test drive last weekend, I was more than disappointed.
I mean look at all those numbers on this fairly heavy sedan!
I was somewhat expecting half assed S2000 (as an owner of AP2 S2000), but then car felt more like camry, not even a angry camry, just pretty ordinary everyday camry.
You CANNOT hear ANYTHING even if you are on sports mode and 6k RPM.
I tried to downshift consistantly just because I couldn't hear any sound that felt like reaching a redline.
Also, even if at hard acceleration from 1st or 2nd to redline, car just went like ordinary civic beaten to death. No excitement, no engine music, no g-force, no nothing.
I have no idea how they achieve 5.9 0-60 with that thing.
Even if it's that fast, there is absolutely zero grunt and you won't feel that you are accelerating hard.

I had all my love for new 4 cyl from BMW and now, there's no way I would consider any BMW with 4 cyl. Good old 6 cyl is the only way to go for the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #39
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Since we're on the topic of exhaust notes I think this video by BimmerPost is the best comparison out there.

The 335i definitely sounds much better, especially during the initial flybys.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #40
M ETT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, F30 EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
But that would mean you'd have to drive a Supra and then YOU would be embarrassed!

And that's the end of it. Amen...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #41
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:

I agree 100%.

I avoided much of the BMW stereotype by owning a much older BMW, one where the enthusiasts are much older and like to pass down knowledge without being preachy and pretentiousness.

I was avoiding buying the 328 as everyone around here has one. But the 2.0T brought me to accept the fact that it is what I wanted and did not care about anything else.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
Sorry but 328i doesn't live up to it's fame IMO.
I was expecting so much for this highly regarded 4cyl turbo and when I went for the event test drive last weekend, I was more than disappointed.
I mean look at all those numbers on this fairly heavy sedan!
I was somewhat expecting half assed S2000 (as an owner of AP2 S2000), but then car felt more like camry, not even a angry camry, just pretty ordinary everyday camry.
You CANNOT hear ANYTHING even if you are on sports mode and 6k RPM.
I tried to downshift consistantly just because I couldn't hear any sound that felt like reaching a redline.
Also, even if at hard acceleration from 1st or 2nd to redline, car just went like ordinary civic beaten to death. No excitement, no engine music, no g-force, no nothing.
I have no idea how they achieve 5.9 0-60 with that thing.
Even if it's that fast, there is absolutely zero grunt and you won't feel that you are accelerating hard.

I had all my love for new 4 cyl from BMW and now, there's no way I would consider any BMW with 4 cyl. Good old 6 cyl is the only way to go for the BMW.

I have had a small displacement forced induction engine in my stable for 15 years now. No matter the engine, the recent ones are barely audible as to engine/intake/exhaust note. Most of them do not even have boost gauges.

My 2.0 TSI VW is now back to stock after removing the full intake, 3" turbo back exhaust and stage 2 tune. The difference in sound and performance is night and day. It went from a boring mid-size sedan with average performance to a snorting, burbling high 13 second car that still netted 35mpg on the highway. I am anxious to do the same to my 328, aside from it being too loud.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #43
M ETT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M VO, F30 EBII

Quote:

Well put. And I as the crazy bastard european guy salute everyone out there who have their wits about them and go for the 328. A real nice car for every day use. I test drove both but I couldn't resist the 335.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #44
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstyle View Post
There are about 99% of professional drivers that would disagree with that statement.

Quote:
You CANNOT hear ANYTHING
For some, that's a relief, because the road noise use to be horrible. Not everyone wants to hear the drone of their engine while they drive. That's why cars have radios.
Appreciate 0