F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)
Studio RSR

09-29-2015, 05:06 AM   #45
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

You mean the upper and the small lower plug? Start with the upper one, there a very small hole at the end of the plug where a small nose appear. Use a clockworkers screwdriver, push the nose slightly back and move the plug gently around, then the nose slips below the housing and you'll be able to remove it.
The lower plug is equal to handle, find the hole with the nose and proceed as described.
Special care is necessary by removing the blower vent assy, if you start to bend the tabholder, I would suggest you should start on the left side, lift the holder carefully up, until the tab slips out, than hold up the force and continue to the next and so on. Once all upper tabs are out, you could tilt the whole assy downwards and take it outta the lower holders.
Installing vice versa.
€dit: Remind the cable routing through the assy, when rerouting not properly, the cables would bend and blocking by reinstalling the center panel.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox

Last edited by Dang3r; 09-29-2015 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #46
BimmerF32_430i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Thanks so much! Will try it tonight or tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #47
zman1237
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F12 M6, F32 428i M-Sport

Has anyone used this 5D stuff? It looks really good from the pictures!

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281791346935
      10-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #48
wolves
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

^ That looks awesome but I'm nervous about cheap adhesive/backing damaging paint.
2014 BMW F30 328i - Base line 8AT, Alpine White, metallic black roof, Megan Racing CF decklid, CF canards, CF eyelids, CF rear diffuser, matte black kidney grills, gunsmoke tail lights/reflectors, VMR 721 Hyper Silver 19x9.5/19.x8.5, 5mm spacers all around, Bilstein B8s, Injen CAI, H&R Sport Springs, muffler-deleted quad pipe, 20% 3M rear tint, M Performance Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:13 AM   #49
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Yes, very cool look, but Im also affraid about stretching, bending and reapplying after misplacing onto material...give it a try, we'll catch you later

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #50
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

i finally took time to do this saturday and im impressed on how it came out. it looks best especially when the light hits the vinyl but im having trouble removing the center trim piece on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #51
zman1237
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F12 M6, F32 428i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica
i finally took time to do this saturday and im impressed on how it came out. it looks best especially when the light hits the vinyl but im having trouble removing the center trim piece on the dash.
Post some pictures. You used DINOC CA-421?
      10-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #52
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yup, i only did the 4 side door handles and center i drive knob piece.
im debating what else i should do, my interior is blsck and so is my car, il post pictures tonight.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #53
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Pictures dont do it justice, it looks much better in person.

Last edited by lesnica; 10-05-2015 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:11 PM   #54
t335xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Sedan Sprt Line ppk

This Dinoc stuff looks great but if it's easily shaped with a hair dryer what happens when your car is parked in the summer heat all day. Does it get soft and warp? I'm in Colorado and we get 90 to 100 degrees days with full sun so the interior is easily 140 degrees. Also how does it adhere is the back sticky? I want to take my car back to stock when I sell it and I don't want to deal with adhesive scraping or oem materials pulling up?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #55
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by t335xi View Post
This Dinoc stuff looks great but if it's easily shaped with a hair dryer what happens when your car is parked in the summer heat all day. Does it get soft and warp? I'm in Colorado and we get 90 to 100 degrees days with full sun so the interior is easily 140 degrees. Also how does it adhere is the back sticky? I want to take my car back to stock when I sell it and I don't want to deal with adhesive scraping or oem materials pulling up?
Cant say how it will hold up in 100+ heat since here in chicago its barely in the 60's but i think if your interior gets so hot the vinyl might warp and start to come of in places. i folded the vinyl inside of the trim pieces and popped the pieces back into place so i think it should stay. And the vinyl is sticky but if you reheat it well then it will come of with little to no residue.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 04:27 AM   #56
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I'd installed it into high summer time with average daily outside temperatures of 32°C and no problems with the inner heat at the wrapped interior. And yes, I also folded it behind all edges to ensure no flaking off, especially at the door handles caused by high utilization.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #57
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I've had it installed now for almost 1.5 years and no issues what so ever. Looks exactly like it did the day it was installed. Been in numerous +100* days for hours on end and nothing has lifted or curled.

Think of it as a very resilient sticker, nothing more, nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #58
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

ordered the 3m dinoc a couple of days ago should be here by Monday I can't wait to get this going but for right now I'm training myself with youtube videos lol I should be an expert by Monday...any body want to offer any tips on taking out the trim pieces without breaking any clips please do so I'm all ears, I also ordered the trim removal kit should make things slightly smoother..
      10-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #59
E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
ordered the 3m dinoc a couple of days ago should be here by Monday I can't wait to get this going but for right now I'm training myself with youtube videos lol I should be an expert by Monday...any body want to offer any tips on taking out the trim pieces without breaking any clips please do so I'm all ears, I also ordered the trim removal kit should make things slightly smoother..
Youtube is definitely a good spot to watch some videos to help get you started. I did the same thing.

The toughest piece was the large trim on the dash. The easiest piece was the idrive centre console piece. The door handles were in between (id say more on the easier side though).

I actually started with the two rear door handles. I didnt practice wrapping anything else prior so I figure if the first two handles are not the greatest, who the hell cares. Its in the back seat, I never see it, and the only person that ever sits back there is my kid (and within a month or two, there will be two car seats back there so nobody will ever sit back there).

Looks like you are in an f30 as well so I would recommend to start with the rear door handles for the same reason. Hone your skills on the pieces that you will not typically look at yourself.

It doesn't take long to figure it out so once you've done the two door handles, you will feel like a pro already and the rest is just about being patient and taking your time with it. No need to rush it. I took 3 nights to finish everything.

As for tips with removing trim, definitely get a set of those trim removal kits. Really, any sort of plastic pry tool will work. Just stay away from the flat nose screwdriver!

I found the clips in the door handles are a lot tighter than I had anticipated. you really need to pull at them quite hard. But work your way around somewhat evenly as opposed to pulling at one end to try and remove the whole thing. When you feel the clip on one end come out, start working towards the middle, and then the far end. Trying to yank it off from one side will probably cause the clips to break.

If you do a search in the DIY forum for the M Performance Trim installation, there are pictures you can follow along with that will also help with telling you where to start prying etc...

Again, i think the key to this project, whether you are removing trim or laying down the vinyl is to be patient and take your time. Its not a tough DIY by any means. So if you take your time, it will turn out great.

Good luck and have fun with it!
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #60
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30toF30 View Post
Youtube is definitely a good spot to watch some videos to help get you started. I did the same thing.

The toughest piece was the large trim on the dash. The easiest piece was the idrive centre console piece. The door handles were in between (id say more on the easier side though).

I actually started with the two rear door handles. I didnt practice wrapping anything else prior so I figure if the first two handles are not the greatest, who the hell cares. Its in the back seat, I never see it, and the only person that ever sits back there is my kid (and within a month or two, there will be two car seats back there so nobody will ever sit back there).

Looks like you are in an f30 as well so I would recommend to start with the rear door handles for the same reason. Hone your skills on the pieces that you will not typically look at yourself.

It doesn't take long to figure it out so once you've done the two door handles, you will feel like a pro already and the rest is just about being patient and taking your time with it. No need to rush it. I took 3 nights to finish everything.

As for tips with removing trim, definitely get a set of those trim removal kits. Really, any sort of plastic pry tool will work. Just stay away from the flat nose screwdriver!

I found the clips in the door handles are a lot tighter than I had anticipated. you really need to pull at them quite hard. But work your way around somewhat evenly as opposed to pulling at one end to try and remove the whole thing. When you feel the clip on one end come out, start working towards the middle, and then the far end. Trying to yank it off from one side will probably cause the clips to break.

If you do a search in the DIY forum for the M Performance Trim installation, there are pictures you can follow along with that will also help with telling you where to start prying etc...

Again, i think the key to this project, whether you are removing trim or laying down the vinyl is to be patient and take your time. Its not a tough DIY by any means. So if you take your time, it will turn out great.

Good luck and have fun with it!
appreciate all the tips, feeling more confident now, I will def. start with the back door handles first since nobody ever sits there period. Thank you! I can't wait till Monday my car has the cheap aluminum look trim and it just looks terrible and cheap
      10-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #61
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Waiting for FED EX to get here so I started pulling away and cleaning some of the trim pieces, I noticed the small trim pieces also come apart, thinking of wrapping them as well but no one else seems to have done this so I was wondering why? Did anybody try and fail miserably or may be overkill? The ones on the center piece come out as well...
Attached Images

10-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #62
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Well finally done, took longer than I expected 2 days, tho I also wrapped the gear selector, gear trim, traction control trim (what an absolute pain in the ass was getting that little trim piece to come out), and headlight switch trim. The tips of my fingers are sore as hell from stretching the material and taking out trim pieces but in my opinion it looks awesome! Looks like a totally different car. Thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread it sure helped me tons.
Attached Images

10-14-2015, 02:10 AM   #63
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Great work, I do appreciate that you'd obeyed the way of waving the CF wrap lines are flowing and installed it this way.
I agree totally to the suffering finger tips after work, an ice cool beer can would ease the pain
A final word to your mid part of panel: Dunno how the vents on outside are framed, but on the F32 its a black glossy frame and I'd decided to hold it as a contrast to the glossy lower climate and station buttons panel design. But thats your taste, enjoy it.

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #64
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep

Here are a couple more pics
Attached Images

10-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #65
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Nice work. Looks awesome!!
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #66
Coldsteel
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport

Garage List
Wow that's awesome! Now i'd like to see some carbon and alcantara. Do you guys think it would be great?
Appreciate 0