F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New F30 vs used F30 + mods vs wait for Jag XE / Audi S4
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

New F30 vs used F30 + mods vs wait for Jag XE / Audi S4

I may have to go back to a four-door car sooner than I'd expected. My original plan was to wait until next year, since most brands seem to be getting a major interior upgrade for their 2017 models. So I just want to put my thoughts down and get some opinions. I'm not in a hurry, I can take a few months before I decide. Budget 45k-ish, can stretch to 50k.

Option one
First option is to go for a new 340i, msport or sportline (I tend towards sportline because I like 18" wheels and a square setup more than 19" staggered, but I love the msport steering wheel so I could go either way on this), tech, driver assistance and comfort access. And harmon kardon. I could always do this, and I know I would be happy with the car. Will probably cost 50K-ish.

Pros:
- Latest and greatest engine
- A BRAND NEW CAR
- The steering feel is supposed to have improved with the 340i over the 335i.

Cons:
- I will be running on the 704 suspension (not that I hate it but I've had better)
- Runflats.
(Since my budget will be out for the car alone, mods won't be an option.)

Option two
Second option - go for a lightly used CPO 335i for about 40K (maybe a bit lower), I will have several cars to choose from since I like sportline as much as msport, and I like several different colors (any blue, white, red, mineral gray are all ok). The car should have tech package, driver assistance and comfort access. I can then spend 5K - 6K on M Performance suspension (2k - 3k), MPPK (2K) and non-run-flat summer tires (1K). On an 18" square setup that will be sweet.

Pros:
- Power and handling will be top-notch after I am done with those quick mods. The car will handle sweet. It will be fairly unique and customized to my taste.
- I would still end up spending less than on a brand new 340i.

Cons:
- Resale value will take a dip when I am done with the car (since I already got it used) and the $$ I spent on the mods is gone. Over 3 or 4 years I'd have spent more on owning this than owning / leasing a brand new car and keeping it stock over the same period of time.
- No "new car smell"
- Steering feel won't be the best that BMW currently offers and that will nag me in my head.

Option three
Wait for the Jaguar XE and the new S4 to hit the showrooms. This was my original plan, but I don't have much hopes on this front because these will be brand new models, I don't expect great lease deals nor discounts on purchase price. Hell, they may even be marked up.

I personally don't like Merc's new C class exterior looks, so that's ruled out. I've already ruled out bigger cars and other used cars (mainly because interior) and also ruled out a used F80 M3 because no mater which way I slice and dice the numbers, it just doesn't fit. It is at least 15K over my budget which is way too much. Not interested in Caddys and other American brands.

Note: Other things being equal, I personally tend to prefer BMW for subjective reasons like - I am too used to the sport seats, I am too used to the iDrive, stuff like that. If the S4 or XE is night and day better and an equally good deal financially, then I will switch brands but if they are more or less the same, I would love to stick with BMW. I am not bored with the brand .

Like I said I'm not in a hurry, I can take months over this decision (or not), so just putting my options down..
      03-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #2
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer View Post
I may have to go back to a four-door car sooner than I'd expected. My original plan was to wait until next year, since most brands seem to be getting a major interior upgrade for their 2017 models. So I just want to put my thoughts down and get some opinions. I'm not in a hurry, I can take a few months before I decide. Budget 45k-ish, can stretch to 50k.

Option one
First option is to go for a new 340i, msport or sportline (I tend towards sportline because I like 18" wheels and a square setup more than 19" staggered, but I love the msport steering wheel so I could go either way on this), tech, driver assistance and comfort access. And harmon kardon. I could always do this, and I know I would be happy with the car. Will probably cost 50K-ish.

Pros:
- A BRAND NEW CAR

Cons:
- I will be running on the 704 suspension (not that I hate it but I've had better)
- Runflats.

Option two
Second option - go for a lightly used 335i for about 40K (maybe a bit lower), I will have several cars to choose from since I like sportline as much as msport, and I like several different colors (any blue, white, red, mineral gray are all ok). The car should have tech package, driver assistance and comfort access. I can then spend 5K - 6K on M Performance suspension (2k - 3k), MPPK (2K) and non-run-flat summer tires (1K). On an 18" square setup that will be sweet.

Pros:
- Power and handling will be top-notch after I am done with those quick mods. The car will handle sweet. It will be fairly unique and customized to my taste.
- I would still end up spending less than a brand new 340i.

Cons:
- Resale value will take a dip when I am done with the car (since I already got it used) and the $$ I spent on the mods is gone. Over 3 or 4 years I'd have spent more on owning this than owning / leasing a brand new car and keeping it stock over the same period of time.
- No "new car smell"
- Steering feel won't be the best that BMW currently offers and that will nag me in my head.

Option three
Wait for the Jaguar XE and the new S4 to hit the showrooms. This was my original plan, but I don't have much hopes on this front because these will be brand new models, I don't expect great lease deals nor discounts on purchase price. Hell, they may even be marked up.

I personally don't like Merc's new C class exterior looks, so that's ruled out. I've already ruled out bigger cars and other used cars (mainly because interior) and also ruled out a used F80 M3 because no mater which way I slice and dice the numbers, it just doesn't fit. It is at least 15K over my budget which is way too much. Not interested in Caddys and other American brands.

Like I said I'm not in a hurry, I can take months over this decision (or not), so just putting my options down..

Depends, I would grab a used 335i and mod it, as for steering, nothing some coilovers/springs can fix, perhaps dinan shockware.

1st gen 340i already starting to show a few problems, and jaguar has a ton of electrical problems as well.

Audi is well...an Audi, we all know they are prone to problems, even more than BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #3
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:

Option one

Pros:
- A BRAND NEW CAR

Cons:
- Runflats.

Option two
Second option - go for a lightly used 335i for about 40K (maybe a bit lower), I will have several cars to choose from since I like sportline as much as msport, and I like several different colors (any blue, white, red, mineral gray are all ok). The car should have tech package, driver assistance and comfort access. I can then spend 5K - 6K on M Performance suspension (2k - 3k), MPPK (2K) and non-run-flat summer tires (1K). On an 18" square setup that will be sweet.

Pros:
- I would still end up spending less than a brand new 340i.

Cons:
- No "new car smell"

Option three

Depends, I would grab a used 335i and mod it, as for steering, nothing some coilovers/springs can fix, perhaps dinan shockware.

1st gen 340i already starting to show a few problems, and jaguar has a ton of electrical problems as well.

Audi is well...an Audi, we all know they are prone to problems, even more than BMW.
Suspension upgrades will primarily affect handling, not steering.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
AudiA4
Major
Rep

OP, if you're looking at budgeting the same amount of money for each scenario, then I can see NO way in which buying an older car is a smart move. I'd buy a slightly used car to EITHER get into a car at a lower cost OR to get into a better car than I couldn't otherwise afford.

Personally, I'd wait on the new S4 before making a decision between than and a 340. However, S models tend to be more expensive than the 335/340, so I doubt it's going to meet your $55K threshold (example: I stopped by to look at the new 2017 A4 today, and several stickered for over $50K.).

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #5
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
OP, if you're looking at budgeting the same amount of money for each scenario, then I can see NO way in which buying an older car is a smart move. I'd buy a slightly used car to EITHER get into a car at a lower cost OR to get into a better car than I couldn't otherwise afford.

Personally, I'd wait on the new S4 before making a decision between than and a 340. However, S models tend to be more expensive than the 335/340, so I doubt it's going to meet your $55K threshold (example: I stopped by to look at the new 2017 A4 today, and several stickered for over $50K.).
Yeah I think I'm gonna wait it out.. And then end up in a new 340i
      03-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #6
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

m sport 340i
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
S4Dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

You won't get an S4 in that budget. My 14 (Premium Plus) was $58.4 and its missing 3 available options. The 17's will probably not be priced a great deal higher than the B8.5's but I still don't think you'd get one for anything near 50K unless your ordered a stripper. In your case, I think the 335i CPO with mods would be a great option.
      03-27-2016, 10:51 PM   #8
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4Dude
You won't get an S4 in that budget. My 14 (Premium Plus) was $58.4 and its missing 3 available options. The 17's will probably not be priced a great deal higher than the B8.5's but I still don't think you'd get one for anything near 50K unless your ordered a stripper. In your case, I think the 335i CPO with mods would be a great option.
When does the new S4 become available?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2016, 11:41 PM   #9
S4Dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
When does the new S4 become available?
I'm really not sure tbh. It's somewhat of a moving target at the moment. I think I read somewhere that the ordering guide will be out later summer early fall but I'm just not sure.
      03-28-2016, 12:39 AM   #10
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Get the BMW, VAG is hurting for cash and this only means one thing, cutback in customer service which was poor to begin with and increase in cost cutting which will likely mean even worse reliability.
While I loved driving the S4, it had left me stranded 3 three times, and it had paint issues that Audi didn't want to own up to.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...emo-to-aoc-aoa
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 05:27 AM   #11
DeltaFX1942
Stormtrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro

Owning both an Audi and a BMW currently, they are pretty much similar in terms of reliability. In fact, Consumer Reports ranks Audi as the top european maker for reliability, and actually third overall, right behind lexus and toyota.

my Q5 has been top notch in reliability - my F30 was too, except for one fuel pump issue, but other than that was reliable for the 27,000 miles I had it. My current F15 is too new to tell...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

... this:

Quote:
+1.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Handling will be the most affected of course but, steering will also get some of it. I did feel it when I put my MPS.
      03-28-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Another option (and what I did just recently) is to find a leftover 2014/2015 335i... You get the best of both worlds, a brand new car with used car prices.

Depending on the options and tranny you want, it can be hard to find one though. Just depends how hard you're willing to look.

Also sometimes dealers won't be upfront about them, they'll list the leftovers as the current new car pricing on their websites and on other auto websites, but they'll really let them go for much less. It helps if you know someone at the dealership, but if you don't, just look for new 2014s/2015s (regardless of price).

If they are still priced at or near sticker, look up how much that model could sell for to a dealer (kbb works fine) once you drive it off the lot (i.e. with same amount of options, but used with say 100 miles). Expect to a pay somewhere in the middle between that value and dealer asking price. E.g. if it stickers for 55k, but if you were to buy it and immediately sell it back to them after driving off the lot and you'd get 36k (due to it now being a 1-2 year old used car), expect to pay 40-45k.

Last edited by donkey; 03-28-2016 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #15
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Btw some 2013 and 2014 S4s are going for like 30k now, well optioned with sport diff and all. If I wasn't particular about the interior, I would jump on one of those. If I go Audi, I want the new google maps thing
      03-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Quote:

Option one

Pros:
- A BRAND NEW CAR

Cons:
- Runflats.

Option two
Second option - go for a lightly used CPO 335i for about 40K (maybe a bit lower), I will have several cars to choose from since I like sportline as much as msport, and I like several different colors (any blue, white, red, mineral gray are all ok). The car should have tech package, driver assistance and comfort access. I can then spend 5K - 6K on M Performance suspension (2k - 3k), MPPK (2K) and non-run-flat summer tires (1K). On an 18" square setup that will be sweet.

Pros:

Cons:
- No "new car smell"

Option three

Note: Other things being equal, I personally tend to prefer BMW for subjective reasons like - I am too used to the sport seats, I am too used to the iDrive, stuff like that. If the S4 or XE is night and day better and an equally good deal financially, then I will switch brands but if they are more or less the same, I would love to stick with BMW. I am not bored with the brand .

Audis have a notoriously bad leasing programs. If you are looking to lease the S4, especially once it becomes available, you'll be paying $700 plus...per month. easily. Might as well finance. base S4 starts at what, 50K? so add a little for the new model.

I'd rather have a new car. I love the new car smell, feel, and just knowing im her first . Knowing that no one has abused her. You could however get CPO.

I have a dude at work, that would get into arguments with you if you mention you want a new car. He always buys used. He's very stubborn. I do see his points, but Im not going to cry as he does if anyone finances or leases. To each their own. So do what you feel is right.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 02:09 PM   #17
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder
Quote:

Option one

Pros:
- A BRAND NEW CAR

Cons:
- Runflats.

Option two

Pros:

Cons:
- No "new car smell"

Option three

Audis have a notoriously bad leasing programs. If you are looking to lease the S4, especially once it becomes available, you'll be paying $700 plus...per month. easily. Might as well finance. base S4 starts at what, 50K? so add a little for the new model.

I'd rather have a new car. I love the new car smell, feel, and just knowing im her first . Knowing that no one has abused her. You could however get CPO.

I have a dude at work, that would get into arguments with you if you mention you want a new car. He always buys used. He's very stubborn. I do see his points, but Im not going to cry as he does if anyone finances or leases. To each their own. So do what you feel is right.
I totally agree. I do buy used when I'm paying like 25k (like my current car). At a 50K budget though, used no longer feels attractive unless it's an M3.. Considering resale values drop like a cliff after the first 5 or 6 years.

Case in point. I bought my car - a 3 year old CPO 328i with 25k miles on it - for 25k. I used it for a year, I can now sell it for at least 19k (it's got 40k miles on it). That's 500 per month depreciation.

My friend on the other hand paid 65k cash for a new 5 series (525i) in 2008 and it's got 100k miles on it now. He's mad that he gets $5k quotes on it when he tries to sell it, that's a $625 pm depreciation. Dealers seem reluctant to buy it even at that price, and he is not getting any interest from private buyers. I know 3 series vs 5 series is not exactly apples to apples, but it's the same engine and all, similarly loaded with features.. And I end up actually paying less though I own it only for a year compared to his eight years.

However, I'm sure if I hold on to this car for another 2 or 3 years, it will go for MUCH less, and I'll get quoted like 5k or 6k too . It seems with BMW the sweet spot for least depreciation lies between 2 years and 4 years. And between 20k to 40k miles. The trick is to play it right and make the sales tax worth it with every new purchase. I may be wrong, that's just my perception.
      03-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #18
RodDT
340 Yeahhhh!
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i AlpineWhite/CoralRed

Can't go wrong with the 340i MSport

Pull the trigger on the 340i MSport. Best bang for the buck and the car is amazing. You can always mod as you go
      03-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

reading your option 1, and the cons you have listed, why not get the "track handling" package to get the staggered 18s and adaptive suspension to resolve the cons?

Also, you mentioned ~$50k expected cost for 340.. why not try for an M2 allocation instead?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 04:16 PM   #20
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
reading your option 1, and the cons you have listed, why not get the "track handling" package to get the staggered 18s and adaptive suspension to resolve the cons?

Also, you mentioned ~$50k expected cost for 340.. why not try for an M2 allocation instead?
Well the track handling package still comes with runflats, doesn't it? And the adaptive suspension is still not as good as m performance suspension. It I'm paying extra for that package, I feel like I'd be better off spending it on these upgrades instead.

No m2. First line of firs post - needs to be four doors
      03-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #21
lemonana
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i x328i Q7TDI

i was facing the exactly same choices, went for 340i last month

xes is a a bit too loud,drink too much fuel and it got a small trunk

s4 got the same type of plastic interior and buttons as my new audi q7 which i hate a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldbeemer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz

Well the track handling package still comes with runflats, doesn't it? And the adaptive suspension is still not as good as m performance suspension. It I'm paying extra for that package, I feel like I'd be better off spending it on these upgrades instead.

No m2. First line of firs post - needs to be four doors
I realize to some extent it is a preference, but why do you think the Adaptive is not as good as the passive M Sport suspension? I think the general consensus is to the contrary (in a lot of ways).

Appreciate 0