F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Halogen to LED DRL conversion
Extreme Powerhouse

02-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Halogen to LED DRL conversion

It says the DRL lights use a PW24W halogen, i found these LED's that are replacements for halogens...im pretty sure this would work bu was wondering if anyone here more technical than me had any input.

http://www.bimmian.com/70/WTS/

I might buy these and give them a try. I will call first and make sure i can return them if they dont work/throw a code.

I think these might look cool and for 70 bucks is an inexpensive DIY
      02-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
It says the DRL lights use a PW24W halogen, i found these LED's that are replacements for halogens...im pretty sure this would work bu was wondering if anyone here more technical than me had any input.

I might buy these and give them a try. I will call first and make sure i can return them if they dont work/throw a code.

Wow I'm curious to see how that looks compared to the regular halogen. If you have them, could you post some pics/vid and experiences online?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1

great find!!

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Will probably order this tonight or tomorrow, will post pics of the before and after
      02-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

Justin - Are there any bulbs available for the rear tail-lamp which are not LEDs? I am going to replace them if I can. Let me know Cheers. Btw, do Xenon's on the 335i also have these same bulbs? if so, i amgoing to order these... $70 is not terribly expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:

Looks good dude great find!!!!! Since you just got your car will BMW void warranty if you do that?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
Looks good dude great find!!!!! Since you just got your car will BMW void warranty if you do that?
I hope not lol, why would they? im basically replacing a shitty light bulb with a cool one. If it throws a code or does not work i will just return them.

I have read up on that warranty stuff, they cant void me for just replacing a light bulb(at least i dont think they can). If i was doing an engine tune, or downpipes or something then yea, probably. If they give me any shit ill go nuts on them lol.
      02-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
SoFlo_Nick
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current (392 Widebody Charger)

Quote:
I hope not lol, why would they? im basically replacing a shitty light bulb with a cool one. If it throws a code or does not work i will just return them.

I have read up on that warranty stuff, they cant void me for just replacing a light bulb. If i was doing an engine tune, or downpipes or something then yea, probably. If they give me any shit ill go nuts on them lol.
Okay lol. BMW dealers always give the stupidest reasons to deny a repair. Give emm hell if they do. Thats such a economical LED solution
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
Rdx
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:

I have read up on that warranty stuff, they cant void me for just replacing a light bulb(at least i dont think they can). If i was doing an engine tune, or downpipes or something then yea, probably. If they give me any shit ill go nuts on them lol.
If so, replace them back. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I'm sorry, but don't get those bulbs. Bimmian overcharges for EVERYTHING.

If you go to HighPerformanceBulbs.com, you can get their 18-LED bulbs that will fit these cars for $50 (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5frtusi.html). And you can get the 23-LED version for $60 (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5frtusi1.html).

If you're willing to spend $70, get something that will blow both lower-end HPB products, and the overpriced Bimmian product out of the water. Get the 7.5 Watt LED bulb (in amber here http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5amulhi.html and in white here http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5ulhipo.html) and they will be SOOO much brighter than the cheaper bulbs. No one else sells those 7.5 Watt turn signal bulbs by the way.

HPB has a great reputation over on E90Post for having rock-solid HID kits that won't throw errors, and they have an almost perfect track record on the pick 06/07 models too. Everything I've bought from them (interior kit for my car + friend's cars, AE's, turn signals, etc.) has exceeded my expectations, and their customer service is incredibly helpful for an extremely small business.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post

If you go to HighPerformanceBulbs.com, you can get their 18-LED bulbs that will fit these cars for $50 (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5frtusi.html). And you can get the 23-LED version for $60 (http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5frtusi1.html).

If you're willing to spend $70, get something that will blow both lower-end HPB products, and the overpriced Bimmian product out of the water. Get the 7.5 Watt LED bulb (in amber here http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5amulhi.html and in white here http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5ulhipo.html) and they will be SOOO much brighter than the cheaper bulbs. No one else sells those 7.5 Watt turn signal bulbs by the way.

HPB has a great reputation over on E90Post for having rock-solid HID kits that won't throw errors, and they have an almost perfect track record on the pick 06/07 models too. Everything I've bought from them (interior kit for my car + friend's cars, AE's, turn signals, etc.) has exceeded my expectations, and their customer service is incredibly helpful for an extremely small business.
Interesting, i have not ordered yet, thanks for this! My 3 concerns are
-will it throw a code?
-how hot will the get, they are made for turn signlas, ut being DRL's they would be on for a while
-how easy to install? i got into the area i need to install and its tight as hell in there

also. what would the return policy be? i will be calling this new place tomorrow, thanks again!
      02-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post

Interesting, i have not ordered yet, thanks for this! My 3 concerns are
-will it throw a code?
-how hot will the get, they are made for turn signlas, ut being DRL's they would be on for a while
-how easy to install? i got into the area i need to install and its tight as hell in there

also. what would the return policy be? i will be calling this new place tomorrow, thanks again!
1. Will it throw a code? It didn't throw a code on E92 Pre-LCI's, and E90 LCI's w/ halogen lights (both cars use these as running lamps) it shouldn't throw a code (newer BMWs are much less picky with aftermarket bulbs--still will throw bulb-outs on cheap/non-canbus bulbs) but I cannot personally guarantee you it will not throw one. However, they have a very forgiving return policy, so if it does, no harm-no foul as they say...
2. They will certainly get hot, but they're clearly designed for it--note the all-aluminum construction. It won't get nearly hot enough to melt the housing, that's for sure.
3. I haven't seen an F30 yet (might be going on a test drive tomorrow though!!) so I can't say for sure; however, I bet there will be plenty of room--just pop the hood and take a look!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

WOW GOOD FIND!

I almost wanted to put off buying ht MY12 till BMW came out with LED lights in the F30.

Just check out this video which shows the difference between the crappy bulb and sexy LEDs:

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
bosz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Ordered

but is it just me or these LEDs aren't in sync:

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

How come LED bulbs are made to replace fog light halogen bulbs and every other bulb on the car but they're not designed for the regular driving headlamp halogen bulbs? In other words, the lights that really matter.

I'm clueless when it comes to LED bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
How come LED bulbs are made to replace fog light halogen bulbs and every other bulb on the car but they're not designed for the regular driving headlamp halogen bulbs? In other words, the lights that really matter.
AFAIK, it's because you need roughly point light source at the focal point of the reflector to create the beam for the main lights and that takes special high-power LEDs or maybe some projector system.

Notice that the LED replacements have multiple small LEDs mounted on a cylinder to generate ~same total light output as the halogen. This is fine if you just need light that gets scattered in multiple directions for turn signals, brake lights, etc., but not so good if you need to create a beam of light.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
Accelerometer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Guys,
I am bit of an LED nerd and have designed custom solutions for a few cars. Let me just say this, the majority of drop in LED bulbs are sub par and won't come close to matching your stock halogen output. LEDs by nature have a narrow output angle so they may look ok from straight on but output drops significantly when you stray from direct line of sight. This is why most OEM LED lighting solutions employ custom optics/reflector solutions to maximize viewing angles.

The only semi drop in solution I have ever seen that exceeds halogen output are the 5W LEDs from ELEF http://elef-usa.com Elef's solution will reuqire you to splice you OEM wiring harness and possibly add relays to get them to function correctly.

I would jsut be concerned with BMW's bulb checking functions and also if this would have any affect on the Active Brake Light system (If you choose to replace your brake lights).

Still kills me that BMW didn't offer a full LED lighting solution from factory!

Video of ELEF turn signals vs a drop in tower solution:
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosz View Post
WOW GOOD FIND!

I almost wanted to put off buying ht MY12 till BMW came out with LED lights in the F30.

Just check out this video which shows the difference between the crappy bulb and sexy LEDs:

wow thanks for this! I'm so going to change my indicator bulbs with the LED's like this, such a huge difference!

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #19
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

I don't understand the whole white indicator bulbs thing. Isn't that illegal in the USA? Are people that desperate for attention? That would be very very distracting to my eyes if I ever saw that on the road. Individualism should never be achieved at the expense of the public's safety, IMO. It falls in the same category as people who put those annoying blue bulbs in the headlights or put neon ground effects under their cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #20
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyO View Post
I don't understand the whole white indicator bulbs thing. Isn't that illegal in the USA? Are people that desperate for attention? That would be very very distracting to my eyes if I ever saw that on the road. Individualism should never be achieved at the expense of the public's safety, IMO. It falls in the same category as people who put those annoying blue bulbs in the headlights or put neon ground effects under their cars.
Well, actually I mostly quoted that particular one because of how the LED's look compared to the regular bulbs, not so much for the color of the LED's. Basically I could have quoted one of the others as well, it's just that he was the first with a video

And yep, it is illegal from what I know but so are the amber colored ones if they are not DOT approved (well, at least here in Hawaii). If it really makes a big difference in safety, I don't know. I do know the video stated that it is dramatized so it might not be as bright as it looks in the video.

Either way, once I get my F30, I am going to order amber ones, not the white ones. Take, for example, the indicators in the mirrors, those are amber colored too, if the ones up front all the sudden are white, it's going to look very odd imo.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
I like the LED , did it throw any codes? do they make them in White?..(IMO i hate orange)
Quote:
but is it just me or these LEDs aren't in sync:

'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote: