F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > Official: BMW to return to DTM touring car series for 2012
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Official: BMW to return to DTM touring car series for 2012

10/15/10 Officially Confirmed!

PRESS RELEASE + Expand
BMW to return to DTM in 2012.

* Press Release

Munich, 15th October 2010. The return of BMW to the DTM from 2012 is reality: This was confirmed by the company during the DTM race weekend at the Hockenheimring. In April this year BMW had announced its intention to race in the DTM in principle from 2012, the first time since its departure from the series in 1994. The Board of Management of BMW AG considers conditions tied to a positive decision to return to the popular touring car series have now been met.

In recent months BMW has been working with the DTM umbrella organisation ITR e.V. and the other manufacturers represented in the DTM on issues relating to the future technical regulations, and the long-term internationalisation of the championship. The positive nature of these discussions means BMW Motorsport can now begin planning its DTM comeback in greater detail.

Dr Klaus Draeger, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG with responsibility for development, says: “The return of BMW to the DTM is a fundamental part of the restructuring of our motorsport activities. With its increased commitment to production car racing, BMW is returning to its roots. The race track is the perfect place to demonstrate the impressive sporting characteristics of our vehicles against our core competitors in a high-powered environment. The DTM is the ideal stage on which to do this.”

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen comments: “The entire team at BMW Motorsport is approaching this exciting project with absolute commitment. We began making technical preparations following our declaration of intent in April, and established parameters for a high-performance vehicle concept for deployment in the DTM. The positive decision of the BMW Board of Management means we can now shift up a gear and give the green light for development.”

Hans Werner Aufrecht, 1st Chairman of the Board of ITR e.V. (DTM commercial rights holder and promoter): “We welcome the decision by BMW to enter the DTM from 2012. This is a further milestone for the future of our popular racing series, and proves that our efforts over the past few years have paid off. We laid the foundation for this in conjunction with the DMSB and the existing DTM manufacturers, namely Audi and Mercedes-Benz. Thus I would like to heartily thank all parties. I am personally looking forward to again seeing the three premium brands of Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz competing against each other on the race track. Our fans have waited a long time for this.”

The intention is to use the BMW M3 as the basic DTM vehicle, a car that has enjoyed unique successes in the field of touring and sports car racing in the past. Eric van de Poele (BE) and Roberto Ravaglia (IT) celebrated two DTM titles with the racing version of BMW’s most sporty representative back in 1987 and 1989, while before that Volker Strycek (DE) won the DTM premiere in 1984 in the BMW 635 CSi. This season the current BMW M3 GT2 caused a sensation in the world of international endurance racing, taking victory in the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring (DE).

__________________________________________________ ___________________

10/14/10 UPDATE:

Bild-Zeitung newspaper reports that BMW will officially announce its return to the German Touring Car Masters (DTM) in 2012. The BMW DTM race car will be based on the current M3. Mario Theissen told Bild back in September: "On paper, we've started designing a car meeting 2012's DTM regulation already." The paper goes on to claim that BMW's budget for the 2012 DTM series will be less than one-tenth of its last Formula 1 budget, which was 200 million euros. BMW denied to comment the report, so there's no choice but to wait for the offical announcement this Friday (10/15). Source: Bild.de

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Well it has been a LONG hiatus for BMW from the DTM series, in fact they havent raced since 1992. Many of us remember the fun times watching the hectic DTM series and BMWs have been very competitive in the series in the past. Luckily, in the wake of BMWs pull out from F1 whispers were flying around that BMW would turn its attention to the DTM series and now it seems to have come true.

What are BMWs plans? Well they are working with the governing ITR body to make sure their car is not only ready to go for the 2012 season but is a competitive car at that time.

For now, BMW stays commited with its cars in both the WTCC and GT racing with their M3 GT2 and Z4 GT3. Long term, the WTCC seems shaky and the attention would certainly be on DTM over WTCC.

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

Munich, 29th April 2010. Motorsport will continue to play a leading role at BMW, with plans now being implemented for an extensive programme. BMW will significantly expand its activities in the field of production car racing over the coming years: last week the executive board of BMW AG came to a positive policy decision regarding the company’s involvement in the restructured German Touring Car Masters (DTM) from 2012. For this to happen, certain basic requirements must be met. The governing body, the ITR, is currently working on these prerequisites. In anticipation of a positive outcome, BMW Motorsport is making appropriate preparations on the technical side. The final decision is expected during the year.

The appearance of the BMW M3 GT2 at endurance races forms another important pillar in the future programme. As is the case this season, in 2011 BMW will contest a variety of races with this car.

Dr. Klaus Draeger, the BMW AG board member responsible for development, says: “Following the withdrawal from Formula One, the realignment of our motorsport programme is raising our presence in production car racing to a whole new level. BMW sports and touring cars have achieved success right around the world, and have significantly influenced the brand’s sporting profile right from the word go. For that reason, we see it as a consistent step to return to our roots after bidding farewell to Formula One, and to expand our commitment to this discipline.”

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen adds: “The newly aligned programme offers us many important stages, on which to demonstrate the sporting gene present in BMW vehicles. The planned return to the DTM is an exciting challenge for our team. Over the coming months we will be making all the necessary technical preparations that should allow us to be competitive right from the start should we join the series in 2012. Thanks to its great tradition in production car racing, the BMW M3 is predestined to be used as the basic car. In 2011 we will once again be lining up with our BMW M3 GT2, which is contesting its debut season in Europe this year.”

For 2011, BMW is developing a 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo engine with direct injection that can be used in championships in accordance with the new Super2000 regulations – such as the FIA World Touring Car Championship. A new racing car is being developed as a successor to the current BMW 320si for the coming years. How the BMW involvement in the World Touring Car Championship will look beyond the 2010 season will be decided over the course of the year. This year, BMW is competing in the WTCC with BMW Team RBM and its drivers Augusto Farfus (BR) and Andy Priaulx (GB).

Customer racing remains of particular interest. BMW will continue to develop attractive racing cars for professional teams, as the company did most recently with the BMW Z4 GT3. In the future, the performances of the most successful private drivers will still be honoured with the BMW Sports Trophy. Over the coming years the company will continue its great tradition of promoting talented young drivers in the Formula BMW series. This means that BMW will also offer a comprehensive training programme for junior drivers. Mario Theissen says: “The fact that seven Formula BMW graduates are currently plying their trade as regular Formula One drivers speaks for itself. That is why we will continue our promotion of young talent from 2011. Over the coming months we will determine precisely what form this commitment will take.”

BMW enjoys a long history of success in international touring car racing. As early as the 1960s the brand backed up its new position as a premium manufacturer of sporty cars with a succession of championship titles. BMW drivers celebrated a total of twelve European Championship titles with the BMW 2002, BMW 3.0 CSL, and the BMW 635 CSi Coupé. On top of this, Volker Strycek (DE) guided his BMW 635 CSi to victory in the debut season of the DTM in 1984. The BMW M3 lined up for the first time in 1987 – and immediately proved to be a superlative racing car. Roberto Ravaglia (IT) claimed the World Championship title, Winni Vogt (DE) was crowned European Champion, and Eric van de Poele (BE) won the DTM.

After a second European Championship triumph in 1988, Ravaglia gave the brand its third and most recent DTM title to date in the BMW M3 in 1989. BMW has 49 race wins, 30 pole positions and 64 fastest laps to its name in this series. Up to and including 1992, BMW M3 drivers around the world had notched up over 1,500 individual wins and more than 50 international titles.

The European Championship was relaunched in 2001 – and it was once again a BMW driver, Peter Kox (NL), who claimed the title. Having already tasted success in the 2004 European Championship with the BMW 320i, Andy Priaulx (GB) went on to win the new World Championship with the same car in 2005. Priaulx successfully defended this title the following two years with the BMW 320si WTCC.

BMW has also celebrated success in the past on the endurance circuit: BMW drivers have won the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring (DE) on 18 occasions. Among the achievements of the Munich-based brand was victory at the very first staging of the race in 1970. In 1998, BMW also claimed the first overall victory with a diesel-powered car: the BMW 320d. BMW drivers have been victorious 21 times at the classic in Spa-Francorchamps (BE). In Le Mans (FR), Team BMW Motorsport clinched a historic overall victory with the BMW V12 LMR in 1999. Competing with the BMW M3 GTR, BMW topped the manufacturer, team and driver standings in the American Le Mans Series in 2001.

UPDATE

Check out Jon Sibal's conception of what a BMW M3 DTM car could look like. Source: http://jonsibal.com/blog/2010/04/bmw-returns-to-dtm/

This is from September 2009 BTW, ahead of his time

Name:  E92M3_DTM_LR1.jpg
Views: 25288
Size:  340.9 KB
      04-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Sweet!

As much as I like the M3 GT2, I would rather see a Z4 based car, not unlike the Z4 GT3, in DTM. Or maybe even a 1 series. But they are going with the M3. It'll be interesting to see what form the car takes and how it differs from the GT2.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
I love watching DTM... this is gonna be great
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

We just had the race last weekend here in Hockenheim.... Imagining BMW would have been part of it... sweet....
      04-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
This is what I have been waiting for. Its nice to know BMW is suiting up for battle.... Cant wait to see what the M3 will look like, im banking on it being ultra impressive... BMW doesnt fail. After pulling out of F1, this HAS to be a showstopper.

God Speed BMW.
      04-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
MaxSport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great news!

BMW coming back to DTM is really wonderful. The fact they appear to be doing so with a GT2 class M3 is even better.

So does that mean the new DTM regs will be for production based cars instead of the current space frame silhouette racers? GT2 level M3's,RS5's and C63's will make for a fantastic show.

BTW-The "T" in DTM is for "tourenwagen". That means four place coupes and sedans, not 2 seater sportscars.

Last edited by MaxSport; 04-29-2010 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
MaxSport
United_States
Rep

Speculation from some on the worldwide web is that DTM will be something like it is now: tube frame cars/space frame cars. Too bad if that is the case.

Worse yet is the idea that they will be powered by 4 cylinder turbo engines...
      04-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
iveman89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

finally BMW, Audi, and Mercs going at it! I remember someone saying they will never go back to DTM this was just after they announce the pull from F1
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #9
ARMAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow BMW finally grew some balls
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

DTM is really cool racing - I enjoy watching it and I am thrilled BMW will be arriving for the fight.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #11
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Why aren't they making the 1 series a front runner in racing? Seems like the 1er is not getting any real performance attention and track involvment.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

DTM is pretty cool. I'm definitely excited to see the roundel back in the DTM scene
      04-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
MaxSport
United_States
Rep

Like NASCAR cars on road courses...

You guys do understand that DTM 2011-2012 will be for spec tube frame chassis with coupe bodies?

They won't be "real" M3's.

M3,RS5 and AMG 63 Coupe(?) all with the same chassis -and probably powered by turbo 4's- is not what I was hoping for. A GT-2 level of performance Superstars Series with "real" V8 M3's,RS5's and AMG C63's would have been better,IMO.

BMW is to have turbo 4's in the new 3 series so competing in the WTCC with the 1.6 turbo rules makes sense. I hope BMW will continue racing there-and that they will still support the Superstars Series...
      04-29-2010, 06:13 PM   #14
DTM-R13
Banned
Rep
Drives: A4 S-Line quattro Titanium

FUCK YES, Finally some decent competition, MB really isnt cutting it. BRING IT ON!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

It's about damn time. This makes me happy, not only because DTM are my initials (I love you Mom and Dad ), but because maybe this will bring back the glory days of the E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMAN View Post
Wow BMW finally grew some balls
+1
      04-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #16
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

I hope it looks something like this that jonsibal did a while back

Got it off speedhunters.com
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
Jackpot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330D ZHP

I miss since years the sporty genes and the traditional spirit in the BMW portfolio.

Just Marketing counts...

So I hope, BMW won't return with the X6 M in the DTM :-(

05-01-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Sibal - thanks for sharing your amazing talents with us - this car looks extremely cool.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
I miss since years the sporty genes and the traditional spirit in the BMW portfolio.

Just Marketing counts...

So I hope, BMW won't return with the X6 M in the DTM :-(

please tell me thats a photoshop..... and its not for real.

edit: nvm.... i looked at the shadow of the spoiler.... thank god.
      05-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Why aren't they making the 1 series a front runner in racing? Seems like the 1er is not getting any real performance attention and track involvment.
It seems like the new DTM rules (turbo 4s and coupes) would more adhear to a 1er rather than a 3er aswell. Common, this was a missed opportunity to get some good publicity and presence for the M Turbo

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

sooooo sick, man i wish i could create drawings and renders like that

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
comar1979
130i Treiber
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Garage List
Servus,

it´s good to see BMW back in the DTM

I would love to see a 5 Door (4Doors are DTM Rules) 1 Series Hatch in the DTM smashing the "bigger" Mercedes C and the Audi A4

Greetz

Marco
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0