F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android carplay AI Box
Studio RSR

08-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
///mChris
Rep
Drives: 68 bmw 1600

Android carplay AI Box

Has anyone tried the USB plug in android carplay ai box? It looks like it outputs to carplay compatible with BMW. The nice part is you don't have to take apart the dash to install it.

https://www.joyeauto.com/product/mmb...i-box-for-bmw/
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 12:11 AM   #2
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

I wouldn't trust an AI Carplay. When it becomes self aware it will play Justin Bieber in a continuous loop.

Looks interesting though. It doesn't really elaborate on how it works. Does it use the Carplay protocol to connect to your BMW head unit to allow iPhone or Android phones to connect and for Android phones you connect to the box with Android Auto?

Last edited by eff32fl; 08-13-2023 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 03:05 PM   #3
InstigatorX
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mChris View Post
Has anyone tried the USB plug in android carplay ai box? It looks like it outputs to carplay compatible with BMW. The nice part is you don't have to take apart the dash to install it.

From what I've read you need a wired carplay connection. Does F-series have ability to connect wired? I just went out to my car to test, but couldn't get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:43 PM   #4
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:

I believe your car must have factory CarPLay hardware for this to work.
      08-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #5
InstigatorX
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i GC xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I believe your car must have factory CarPLay hardware for this to work.
…and wired. Wireless won’t work.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:10 PM   #6
ice_rfm
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30

Hello... glad to see someone else interested in this product. From what i have been reading this box is compatible with bmw wireless car play and produces an android interface to the original car lcd. talking with the chinese guys and this first version had issues with the wifi and cant connect providing a Android auto or carplay interface just a base android interface. They told me they are working in a version with doble wifi for a first wifi connect to the car and the second conct to the phone so andoid auto or carplay is possible apart from the base android interface.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 10:20 PM   #7
///mChris
Rep

I ordered one a couple weeks ago and it showed up today. I plug it in, but nothing happens. I get to step 7, then nothing.
Attached Images

Last edited by ///mChris; 08-24-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2023, 01:52 PM   #8
///mChris
Rep

If anyone is curious what happens when you connect the AI Box. I made a video. I did try connecting it to a 2020 ford escape. When connected it took over the screen. However I was never able to connect a phone to it.

Last edited by ///mChris; 08-25-2023 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 06:03 PM   #9
woodquarter
Rep
Drives: X3 2018 (G01), 3.0xd

Quote:
If anyone is curious what happens when you connect the AI Box. I made a video. I did try connecting it to a 2020 ford escape. When connected it took over the screen. However I was never able to connect a phone to it.

Hi! I am also interested in this topic. I am a firm android (phone) user and now i own a BMW (X3 G01 with ID6 with carplay) and trying to find a way to make those two work together.

Almost all of the AI Boxes I found (on aliexpress) use a wired carplay connection to the car, but I also have found some that are "specifically" for BMWs and claim to connect wireless-ly to the car. (I am not sure what the real difference is to the other AI boxes, except maybe some software?) Anyways, the resulting problem seems to be that the ai-box-wifi is then occupied for the connection to the car and cannot be used by a phone (eg to get internet from the phone etc.)

Ideally, one could find a software (hack, maybe?) to make an android phone use the BMW carplay connection directly - I was searching hard, but I have not find anything on the internet about that. Although: Those AI boxes seem to be doing just this? (As I they are alos just android devices that connect to carplay...)

In any case: Does anybody have some more infos / updates about this topic?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0