F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2014 CIC armrest USB not recognise .mp3
proTUNING Freaks

10-15-2023, 04:53 AM   #1
br4to92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d 2014

2014 CIC armrest USB not recognise .mp3

Hello, I have an USB memory stick with 64gb memory and I try to use it as a mp3 player from my usb hub in the armrest area. I was able to previously use it, but it found and played only the playlists (.m3u extension) when I selected the External devices from the Multimedia menu. It's not able to find standalone .mp3 files that are not attached to a playlist. I tried formatting the stick as both NTFS or exFAT, but it's not finding anything when I put only .mp3 files on it (even if I put them in the root folder). Does someone knows the proper way to add and listed music from it? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 06:22 AM   #2
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
If you truly have CiC and not NBT on your 2014, have you tried using the glovebox USB to import the tracks and play from there? Depending on your files having DRM or not on them, the CiC can refuse to play them as well, and that might be the cause of your issue
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 05:26 AM   #3
br4to92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
If you truly have CiC and not NBT on your 2014, have you tried using the glovebox USB to import the tracks and play from there? Depending on your files having DRM or not on them, the CiC can refuse to play them as well, and that might be the cause of your issue
Yes, I'm pretty sure it's CIC and not the early version of NBT which have the same menu interface as CIC. Regarding the glovebox USB, I checked and apparently I don't have an USB slot there, there are a few small cutouts but there is no USB port attached.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
thatgarrett
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [8.60]
I think CiC likes FAT-32 format the best, but depending on where your MP3’s are coming from they could be protected, meaning they won’t play back on certain devices- an old workaround was burning to a CD, then reimporting the files, then then putting those files on a flash drive, but I’ve not done that a long time. A cursory search on e90 and other forums have a number of people who have had similar issues depending on where they MP3’s originated from. The USB in the center console should play the files just fine, it’s the most compatible port typically
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 02:00 PM   #5
br4to92
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
I think CiC likes FAT-32 format the best, but depending on where your MP3’s are coming from they could be protected, meaning they won’t play back on certain devices- an old workaround was burning to a CD, then reimporting the files, then then putting those files on a flash drive, but I’ve not done that a long time. A cursory search on e90 and other forums have a number of people who have had similar issues depending on where they MP3’s originated from. The USB in the center console should play the files just fine, it’s the most compatible port typically
I already tried formatting as exFAT with just a few songs on the root folder, still doesn't find anything. Also I had a look before on some other related topics but the workarounds are different, some use FAT-32, other use NTFS, some put the songs on the root folder. Neither of them seems to work so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #6
br4to92
Enlisted Member
Rep

I used a brand new USB stick and now everything is working. I checked again the options available after I selected the USB from the Multimedia menu and I can actually browse into folders from Search > Directories where I find all the folders I added on the USB. More than that, it recognise both .mp3, .wma and also .m3u playlist files. I can also check only the playlists from the Playlists option or even all the music files combined from the Browse music option. Most likely there was an issue with my older USBs as I formatted them at some point and then they stopped recognising the music after I re-formatted them.
Appreciate 1