F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Interior mirror dropping
GetBMWParts

12-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Bmwphile
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Interior mirror dropping

Have just been noticing that my interior rear view mirror drops gradually over a few days and I have to reposition it upwards. Have had it back to the dealer who said he tightened it. It is better but it still drops a little. Any thoughts?

I seem to recall reading a thread on this topic but I cannot seem to find it. So apologies if I am retreading old ground!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Mine seems to do the same thing. I've yet to go in for any kind of service. And I also thought I've seen a similar thread but cannot find it anywhere...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

I have strangely noticed that I have to sometimes fix the rearview mirror, but in most cases, I have either hit the mirror myself with my head or arm when turning around to look in the back row. Otherwise, I find myself fixing it after my fiancé drives the car...

So, if the mirror drops by itself I can't be sure yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
groovybits
335i Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i, Blacked Out Alpine W

My mirror definitely drops on its own. 100% certain. I have to readjust it every 4-5 days. Would love more info on this.

Fully Loaded F30 335i Sports Line
Blacked Out Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Gravity and Vibration > Friction

It's not a conspiracy...and if you'd rather have your car taken in for service rather than just reaching over and fixing it, you have interesting priorities.
      12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
S-Dot
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Luxury

I would not be happy with that. Neither my current car nor my old E46 had mirrors that dropped or moved, and I drive four miles of very rough road (pitted and rutted dirt/gravel with washboard) every day.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

So funny. I just noticed this today on our F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

So that's what BMW mean by auto-dimming!
      12-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post

It's not a conspiracy...and if you'd rather have your car taken in for service rather than just reaching over and fixing it, you have interesting priorities.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
So that's what BMW mean by auto-dimming!
+1 lol. Same problem. Droopy mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:

Couldn't disagree more. How many new cars have you ever owned that have mirrors that droop and require constant re-adjustment? Since when have our standards dropped so low that you invest 40 to 50 large on a car and yet its okay to let obvious quality issues slide? You think BMW would give him 50bucks off his car payment because the mirror doesn't stay where it should? He paid a premium price, he has every right to expect a premium product. If Kia can get it right in their cheapest model why not BMW?
      12-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Couldn't disagree more. How many new cars have you ever owned that have mirrors that droop and require constant re-adjustment? Since when have our standards dropped so low that you invest 40 to 50 large on a car and yet its okay to let obvious quality issues slide? You think BMW would give him 50bucks off his car payment because the mirror doesn't stay where it should? He paid a premium price, he has every right to expect a premium product. If Kia can get it right in their cheapest model why not BMW?
Totally agreed!

My father-in-law's 20 year old Jeep keeps the mirror in the original adjustment position even in the rocky unpaved road.
And, my previous (20 years ago) Hyundai Elantra had no issues with the mirror....

Excusing with vibration and gravity is BS!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
live4wknds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerHJ View Post
Totally agreed!

My father-in-law's 20 year old Jeep keeps the mirror in the original adjustment position even in the rocky unpaved road.
And, my previous (20 years ago) Hyundai Elantra had no issues with the mirror....

Excusing with vibration and gravity is BS!
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
vern
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
+1 You got it right.
cheers
vern
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
simonh100
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d

I thought it was just mine, but I can see that is not the case.
I was on holiday for a few weeks back in August and when I returned to the car and looked in the interior mirror, all I could see was the base of the rear seats! Usually have to readjust every few days as it gradually slips down
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwphile View Post
Have just been noticing that my interior rear view mirror drops gradually over a few days and I have to reposition it upwards.
To make it easier for me to exit (& enter) the car, I move the seat back a little as I sit fairly close - but not too close - to the steering wheel. Short legs.

Anyway, once I get back in the car, I then reposition the seat via the memory button and find from time to time the mirror has dropped down. This has happened a few times but I've put it down to seat repositioning.

Perhaps there is an issue. Certainly the mirror feels very tight to adjust its position and doesn't feel like it could droop.

I have to take my car into service on Dec 18, so I will ask them to investigate.

Thanks Bmwphile.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #17
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
A: You got a $35k car with lots of options.
B: You bought an early model year car, and any early model year of a generation is going to have many things that don't work right.
C: Your mirror has a security light, camera sensors, light sensors, homelink antennas and a bunch of other crap that a Kia does not have. Additional weight = additional momentum. Take your mirror apart, take all the PCB's out and I guarantee you it won't move.
D: I've owned plenty of new cars and every one had some random quirk. My $40k Acura had "Auto closing doors" that would slam on my legs whenever I got out and didn't hold the door in place for a few seconds. My $50k Corvette had sensors that failed every other week.

Since when has ANY car manufacturer given anyone money back (With the exception of the recent Hyundai EPA scandal) for something that doesn't work right? My wife's VW burned a quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles, VW never paid her a cent, and that was on a car that's the same price as your 3.

If you really want to fix it take it apart, throw a dab of glue on it, set it and forget it.

To complain about this as a "problem" is like saying "my window is rolled down, I better take the car in for service!"...or you could just reach over, touch it, and your problem is back to normal.

Just do what I do, have your wife drive your car once a week and then you'll have to readjust not only the mirror, but your steering wheel too. How dare they not put in an electronic tilt steering wheel!

People on this board need to drive some really terrible cars for a few days to realize how well these cars are built. Go rent a Chrysler, you'll feel better.

/rant
      12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
B: You bought an early model year car, and any early model year of a generation is going to have many things that don't work right.
C: Your mirror has a security light, camera sensors, light sensors, homelink antennas and a bunch of other crap that a Kia does not have. Additional weight = additional momentum. Take your mirror apart, take all the PCB's out and I guarantee you it won't move.
D: I've owned plenty of new cars and every one had some random quirk. My $40k Acura had "Auto closing doors" that would slam on my legs whenever I got out and didn't hold the door in place for a few seconds. My $50k Corvette had sensors that failed every other week.

Since when has ANY car manufacturer given anyone money back (With the exception of the recent Hyundai EPA scandal) for something that doesn't work right? My wife's VW burned a quart of Mobil 1 every 1000 miles, VW never paid her a cent, and that was on a car that's the same price as your 3.

If you really want to fix it take it apart, throw a dab of glue on it, set it and forget it.

To complain about this as a "problem" is like saying "my window is rolled down, I better take the car in for service!"...or you could just reach over, touch it, and your problem is back to normal.

Just do what I do, have your wife drive your car once a week and then you'll have to readjust not only the mirror, but your steering wheel too. How dare they not put in an electronic tilt steering wheel!

People on this board need to drive some really terrible cars for a few days to realize how well these cars are built. Go rent a Chrysler, you'll feel better.

/rant
+1

Again, I agree. Seems as though the forum has simply become a place to about random small issues.

Ok, let the flame war begin (just kidding), haha. Also, ranting...

Last edited by wdlv; 12-13-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv
Quote:

/rant
+1

Again, I agree. Seems as though the forum has simply become a place to about random small issues.

Ok, let the flame war begin (just kidding). Also, ranting...
I don't recall the OP complaining. He was just asking for thoughts.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I don't recall the OP complaining. He was just asking for thoughts.
You're right, he didn't complain. I was too quick to generalize, but I still stand by my comment on the negative commenting.

We're all way to passionate about cars here
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
I have noticed the droopy mirror as well, but it's usually in high temperatures like the summers here in Phoenix. Since its cooled down its less active in the droop.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #22
BimmerHJ
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
My mirror has nothing in it. No security light, no camera sensors, no homelink antennas and no bunch of other craps.
But it still drops. Why?

You sound like BMW sales or service guy, saying every defect is NORMAL!

I swear that I never had any problem with mirrors in my previous 25+ years of experience in Japanese cars, US cars, German cars (except BMW) and even crappy Korean cars.

In most times, customers' whining makes better cars. That's what BMW is asking for your report on any minor issues.
If nobody report such a minor defects to manufacturer (like you are doing it adjusting your dropped mirror every morning), BMW will never ever improve the issues.

Hope your mirror is not dropping while you're driving, in the future, and if it does, it may cause accident because you have to re-adjust your dropped mirror at 75MPH in highway unnecessarily.

Enjoy and safe drive your all faulty cars!
Appreciate 0