F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First F30 Limp Mode
GetBMWParts

05-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #243
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I have a service appointment scheduled for Wednesday, but I'm honestly considering just canceling since it sounds like they will either find and do nothing, or replace a fan or code upgrade. At the end of the day though, all of those things are likely to NOT fix the issue and the expense is my time and being without my car for a day or two AND what they do may even slow the car down?! No thanks. I'll just deal with it and hopefully they develop an official diagnosis & solution.

I suppose I will send a note to BMWNA so it gets more visibility.
I'd suggest still taking it in. If not just to log the problem again. In case you want to lemon law it, you have a stronger case. I'm not saying you will, but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #244
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shades View Post
Yes. That's exactly what happened to me. It still reved beyond 2500 RPMs (it got to over 3k) but it was just painfully slow.
okay, so sounds like you and I have very similar cases of new fans, and then slow cars.

at least I know I'm not crazy. I mean, I knew i wasn't but at least I have someone else w same problem. It's sad. The other day turning left onto a 2 lane road from a side road on a route i drive all the time, saw a car coming but still with plenty of room for me to make it. Started to go, then realized, my car was slower than crap. so i stopped. nearly got rear ended.

bmw better come up for a fix for this.
      05-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #245
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
about 2-3 months ago i reported having this issue fixed by the dealer here on this thread. they changed the relay. a few hundred miles after the repair, i just got the dead throttle and loud blasting fan this morning. 61 degrees out. i guess relay doesnt do it. time for another appt
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #246
gmazzu
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 M-Sport X-Drive 6 speed

Yup limp and no acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
did you have loss of power after your limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #247
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazzu View Post
Yup limp and no acceleration.
Wonder if/when there will be an official recall.
      05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #248
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I'd suggest still taking it in. If not just to log the problem again. In case you want to lemon law it, you have a stronger case. I'm not saying you will, but you never know.
+1
      05-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #249
50shades
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport-Gray on Red

Just wondering, when the problem happens were all of you in Sport mode or did it happen in Comfort mode? For the two times it happened to me, I was cruising along on the freeway and then it happened after I switched to Sport mode after hitting the streets.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #250
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering, when the problem happens were all of you in Sport mode or did it happen in Comfort mode? For the two times it happened to me, I was cruising along on the freeway and then it happened after I switched to Sport mode after hitting the streets.
it did happen to me first after switching to sport. But after that every mode suffered.

Car is being looked at now by shop foreman. super good guy, just hopes can find an answer. it's hard to describe the "loss of power" as the car can still get up to speed, it's just slow. but foreman was very attentive and even watched all my videos. i strongly recommend making videos. while they can be hard to record, it just gives you a little something to show the car doing it.
      05-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #251
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drive in Sport Mode 100% of the time.
      05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #252
50shades
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I drive in Sport Mode 100% of the time.
Thanks for the info. I haven't been driving in Sport mode much lately since I've been trying to see what MPG I can pull off in Comfort mode while on the freeway. Amazingly I've actually pulled 37mpg on highway 101 when there's no traffic (something an S4 can never do).

I'm going to go with Sport mode from now on since it sounds like the chances of the issue happening goes up in that mode. I'll see if I can hit the 3peat!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #253
gmazzu
Private
Rep

Another call from the dealer:

Car thinks it overheating because the thermostat is malfunctioning, replacing thermostat.

Replacing the fan also, dealer was concerned it was working overtime because of the malfunctioning thermostat.

Dealer said new thermostat requires coding so it will get new code also.

No relays were mentioned, I see others who have had relays replaced.

I get the car back Thursday and we will see if its it.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #254
jrsx86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazzu View Post
Another call from the dealer:

Car thinks it overheating because the thermostat is malfunctioning, replacing thermostat.

Replacing the fan also, dealer was concerned it was working overtime because of the malfunctioning thermostat.

Dealer said new thermostat requires coding so it will get new code also.

No relays were mentioned, I see others who have had relays replaced.

I get the car back Thursday and we will see if its it.
Sounds good! Hopefully this will be the real fix to the issue. I've had my fan go on full blast 3 times in a day once and its made me somewhat paranoid (temps were okay every time). I'm always listening now to hear if the fan is on full blast instead of enjoying my music while driving, lol!
      05-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #255
DarkTrigger
Professional
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i MPPK

Quote:
For me, that was exactly the case.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #256
gmazzu
Private
Rep

i told the dealer if this doesn't fix it they need to make the car go away
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #257
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

My car is in now. I dropped the car off last night and showed the SA a video of the problem. Once screened had me show it to one of the head mechanic's. I hate it when they say "Wow I,ve never seen anything like that before", means it's going to take awhile to diagnose and loger to "try" to fix. I told them the details about the car, July 2012 production date and that there where many others having the same issue. Mentioned that it seems spacific to early 335i MSports. I told them that there are open puma reports on the issue. They seem to get irritated when presented with information from the internet. I told them that I want my car back by Friday but I'm not holding out much hope. They said it will take a couple of days just to diagnose. If this is not headed towards a solution by the third day I'm getting it esculated at the dealership, BMWNA and anyone else who will listen. here's hoping they can find the route cause. I presented significant information + the video so the time has come to push them hard. I dont want this to be a cloud over this vehicle the entire time I own it, when the car is behaving corretly it is an amazing ride.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #258
Dinh335
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
My car is in now. I dropped the car off last night and showed the SA a video of the problem. Once screened had me show it to one of the head mechanic's. I hate it when they say "Wow I,ve never seen anything like that before", means it's going to take awhile to diagnose and loger to "try" to fix. I told them the details about the car, July 2012 production date and that there where many others having the same issue. Mentioned that it seems spacific to early 335i MSports. I told them that there are open puma reports on the issue. They seem to get irritated when presented with information from the internet. I told them that I want my car back by Friday but I'm not holding out much hope. They said it will take a couple of days just to diagnose. If this is not headed towards a solution by the third day I'm getting it esculated at the dealership, BMWNA and anyone else who will listen. here's hoping they can find the route cause. I presented significant information + the video so the time has come to push them hard. I dont want this to be a cloud over this vehicle the entire time I own it, when the car is behaving corretly it is an amazing ride.

Kevin
fwiw im a dec 2012 build and i have it (car in shop, my comments are in this thread) and another member had a feb 2013 build. . good luck in your case.
      05-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #259
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

Just got an Email from the SA. They are going to change the fan. I asked if they found any error codes but no reply yet. I can't believe they would go after t the low-hanging fruit in replacing the fan after the discussion we had. Thermostat, Fan Relay etc.... any would have been better. I asked them to search through the PUMA cases but that is obviously a waste of time for them. I think they assume the owners know nothing. so frustrated right now. I'll update when they decide to call me back.

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #260
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
Just got an Email from the SA. They are going to change the fan. I asked if they found any error codes but no reply yet. I can't believe they would go after t the low-hanging fruit in replacing the fan after the discussion we had. Thermostat, Fan Relay etc.... any would have been better. I asked them to search through the PUMA cases but that is obviously a waste of time for them. I think they assume the owners know nothing. so frustrated right now. I'll update when they decide to call me back.

Kevin
I'm only conjecturing after having the same issues, but it seems more software or computer related than just fans going out.
      05-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #261
50shades
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I'm only conjecturing after having the same issues, but it seems more software or computer related than just fans going out.
I completely agree. BMW really needs to get their software engineers looking into this matter instead of swapping out new hardware after new hardware. Either that or they have a more serious problem, which is a faulty hardware design that can malfunction at any given time (even when new).

I'm taking my car back in to BMW tomorrow for a humming and whistling/tweeting noise. I'm simply not sure if it's normal, especially since I didn't hear any of these noises before this "power loss/bad fan" issue happened. If anyone else is experiencing such noises please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #262
jrsx86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I completely agree. BMW really needs to get their software engineers looking into this matter instead of swapping out new hardware after new hardware. Either that or they have a more serious problem, which is a faulty hardware design that can malfunction at any given time (even when new).

I'm taking my car back in to BMW tomorrow for a humming and whistling/tweeting noise. I'm simply not sure if it's normal, especially since I didn't hear any of these noises before this "power loss/bad fan" issue happened. If anyone else is experiencing such noises please let me know.
I haven't heard of that coming from my car, but I'll definitely try to listen for it. I'm in San Jose too btw.
      05-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #263
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsx86
Quote:

I haven't heard of that coming from my car, but I'll definitely try to listen for it. I'm in San Jose too btw.
Wait a minute, am I correct in observing this is mainly been isolated to the warmer parts of the US over the past winter. If this is correct then we are about to get twice as many limp modes. This thread is about to blow up

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #264
jrsx86
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Wait a minute, am I correct in observing this is mainly been isolated to the warmer parts of the US over the past winter. If this is correct then we are about to get twice as many limp modes. This thread is about to blow up
When my fan went on full blast 3 times over this past Saturday, it was definitely a hotter day than usual. I went to Livermore (inland) where it was in the 80s-90s. San Jose that day hit mid 80s in the afternoon. Now that the heat has died down to low 70s this week, I haven't experienced it so far.