F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > 2017 340i @ BMW CCA HPDE
GetBMWParts

10-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

2017 340i @ BMW CCA HPDE

(VIDEO AT BOTTOM)

While this post is partly a shameless plug for how much fun I had and how much I learned this weekend I also wanted to use it to highlight just how capable the F30 is in its nearly stock form.

BACKGROUND:

I took a 2017 340i xDrive M Sport to Hallett Motor Racing Circuit (a 1.8 mile and 10 turn circle) this weekend for the No Excuses event. This was my first event ever. The car itself was stock with the following options:
- Track handling package
- M Sport brakes
- Adaptive M Suspension
- MPPSK

Prior to the event my prep included a pre-event inspection in town and a change of the brake fluid to Super DOT 4.

TAKEAWAYS:

As previously stated, this was my first event ever. Priority was placed on precision and learning how to conduct oneself around the circuit. Speed was tertiary (I know, sad face). I was fortunate enough to be paired with a couple of fantastic instructors and felt like their ability to teach enabled me to progress towards finding the 340?s limits and my own. The car nannied me at times- mostly when I needed it though a couple times were a bit unnecessary. It was intuitive, responsive, forgiving, and I found myself more than once overtaking M3?s and 4?s as a result of the car?s ability to pull itself through a turn.

Most notable of the stock configuration?s limitations was the tires. The PSS were very good compared to what would have happened has I brought some generic touring wheel. However, the tire fell short of some of the things I saw others running on. The silver lining here is that I was taught patience and to predict my handling so they weren?t without their own value.

Next, the brakes. Not once did I experience brake fatigue or fading. In fact, I left with over 60% of the pad I started with. Most braking errors were driver induced. There was a minor stutter as the pad heated up at some of the harder braking zones but it was relatively benign.

Steering was on point. Whomever says the electric steering is a weakness is blowing smoke. Never once did I have a disagreement with my vehicle on where the nose should be heading.

Engine and drivetrain performance was admirable. Oil temperature stayed relatively flat lined and the vehicle was eager to please when accelerating. I won?t say that the amount of power was striking but there were a few moments in the cool morning that it dared bellow it?s arrival to the poor man waving the go fast flags who spent his weekend slowly going deaf.

CONCLUSION:

As I was told a hundred times this weekend, the driver is the weakest link. It was absolutely true. The 340 spent the weekend meeting me point for point. Every time I asked for something it delivered. There were multiple times that it would groan or grumble but it never said no. In fact, I would say most my education was in the form of learning to ask my car for things that didn?t cause it to groan or grumble. The end result saw us drastically knock down average lap times (27? between fastest and slowest). I know I?m not an expert driver and I know my 340i is hardly the most dynamic vehicle around. But I also know that it is wildly capable and, as I caught up to it, we saw ourselves knocking down factory track champions every time they let us go run. I highly recommend this experience to any of you that have an F3x. I think you'll be pleasantly pleased with yourselves and your choice in conveyance.

Here's a video of my fastest lap. Pictures to come once I get them in the mail.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #2
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Nice driving! That looks like a great track, like NJMP where I have been. Plenty of runoff if you get into trouble.
Pretty amazing car on track, the 340i, I had the opportunity to whip one around at the BMW Performance Center. Loved it. And I didn't have MPPSK on that car. You can tell the car is heavy but it handles itself well.

I concur about the electric steering. I came from an E92 335i w/ M3 parts up front and have been very pleased with the 340i steering. I think the LCI model got upgraded/reprogrammed steering vs. the pre-LCI car.

Charles
      10-18-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Very stable lap with good lines. I'm glad you took it slow and found the right lines and got to know your car before you went balls to the wall and wrecked. I've seen too many like that. I commend you for doing it the correct way.
      10-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
rockymtnpilot
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Very stable lap with good lines. I'm glad you took it slow and found the right lines and got to know your car before you went balls to the wall and wrecked. I've seen too many like that. I commend you for doing it the correct way.
Thank you. I told my instructor that I'm good at being told what to do and he was good at telling me what to do. It cut down the learning curve quite a bit. I do have video of a couple M's with large power advantages that I was able to keep up with because of that. I won't upload them as it was a learning event but it did reinforce the importance of a good line.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnpilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Thank you. I told my instructor that I'm good at being told what to do and he was good at telling me what to do. It cut down the learning curve quite a bit. I do have video of a couple M's with large power advantages that I was able to keep up with because of that. I won't upload them as it was a learning event but it did reinforce the importance of a good line.
Looking promising! A lot of folks don't listen and they never get faster. Your learning curve will be quick since you know how listen. Happy tracking!!