F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > 335i at Lime Rock
European Auto Source

10-09-2017, 02:46 PM   #23
Tchao
Boost Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30

We've been using a FLIR One for a medical app development but I think it maybe some interest for you too.

http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Its relatively inexpensive and can capture all your tire temps in a matter of seconds, forego the cool down lap and quickly park it, snap a frontal pic and rear.
Could be very useful in comparing the images pre/post modifications.

Even rotor hot spots now that I am thinking about it more. Pretty handy track tool.
      10-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #24
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
We've been using a FLIR One for a medical app development but I think it maybe some interest for you too.

http://www.flir.com/flirone/

Its relatively inexpensive and can capture all your tire temps in a matter of seconds, forego the cool down lap and quickly park it, snap a frontal pic and rear.
Could be very useful in comparing the images pre/post modifications.

Even rotor hot spots now that I am thinking about it more. Pretty handy track tool.
That's pretty cool, but tire tread surface temp is of little value because it changes so quickly. I've seen video of IR sensors mounted in a wheel well, sending real time thermal images of a tire while on track...different sections of the tire heat bloom and cool in an instant during cornering, braking, etc.

A probe pyrometer is the only way to get accurate readings after a track session.
      10-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #25
Tchao
Boost Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30

Good point, and some quick googling came up with some very neat F1 videos and their on board thermo cams.

Ill have to look into the probes.
      10-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #26
kreuz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
An 18x9 ET30 with a typical 255 tire will run about the same in terms of fender clearance as my 18x9.5 ET35 with 265 tires. On my car I needed at least 2.5 camber to clear the fronts...plus I did a mild front fender roll (almost imperceptible) just to be safe. The back wheels fit flush without any mods.

Not sure if F32 front fenders have the same clearance as the F30, but if they do, then I think you'd need extra camber for those wheels.
Thanks DVC! Super helpful info! After some research I'm not ready to deal with that much camber up front and potential camber roll at the moment, but your response is really good reference for when I do have time to get camber plates and the desire for deeper concavity prevails. I've decided to go with sm-10 18x8.5 ET35 for the time being to see how it goes. Thanks again!
Appreciate 1
DVC166