F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > ebay Full Halo Angel Eye Conversion Headlights $599
ARMA SPEED

09-16-2016, 04:46 PM   #221
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin View Post
Thanks!
Yeah, I turned the screw, and it doesn't do anything. haha.
It goes side to side, but up and down just wont budge. I got it to almost acceptable level, but still a tad bit high.
Still waiting on word from MBnational.
Well, you turned the wrong one. There are two screws on each side, one for up/down and one for left/right. Look again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illestf30 View Post
will installing these headlight void the warranty? I am trying to get these lights but my car is currently a lease. Does anyone have any idea about the warranty? And also do we have to slice any wiring or anytinhg?
They will void the warranty just for the lights.
You can put them on and take them off whenever you go to the dealer if you wanna play it safe (and time-consuming) haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #222
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I

[QUOTE=mbfanos;20575609]Well, you turned the wrong one. There are two screws on each side, one for up/down and one for left/right. Look again

I made sure to check both.
As I said the side to side screw works but the up and down doesn't. It just keeps spinning, but it isn't turning the gears.
MBnational just responded and told me if I keep the headlights as is they will issue a 20% partial refund.
currently debating what to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #223
provatocj
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Final update, HID working

I go mine headlights fully working with HIDs after some coding. You have to code for both the CANBUS check to get rid of the dashboard warning and the PWM mapping to get rid of the light flickering. My low beam flickered constantly but when the high beam is on, the flickering stopped.
First, the CANBUS error coding. The DRL and parking lamp codes are not really necessary, but I don't know how the internals are connected so I coded them out just in case.

Daytime Running Lamps
Fembody
FEM_01 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> TFL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv (Right DRL cold check)
FEM_01 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> TFL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv (Right DRL warm check)
FEM_01 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> TFL_R_IS_LED = aktiv (Right DRL is LED)
FEM_01 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> TFL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv (Left DRL cold check)
FEM_01 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> TFL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv (you can guess what this is by now
FEM_01 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> TFL_L_IS_LED = aktiv

Parking Lamps
Fembody
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> POL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> POL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> POL_R_IS_LED = aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> POL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> POL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG = nicht_aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> POL_L_IS_LED = aktiv

Low Beam
FEMBODY
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> AL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> AL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> LceLciOutputChannels -> AL_L_IS_LED = aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> AL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> AL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> AL_L_IS_LED = aktiv

High Beam
FEMBODY 3061
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> FL_L_KALTUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> FL_L_WARMUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> FL_L_IS_LED = aktiv
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> FL_R_KALTUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> FL_R_WARMUEBERWACHUNG > Nicht_Active
FEM_Body -> 3061 -> LceLciOutputChannels -> FL_R_IS_LED = aktiv

For the PWM mapping, what I did was to increase the voltage a little bit at a time until my lights stop flickering.

The codes are:

FEM_BODY -> 3062 > MAPPING_ABBLENDL_L_PWM_LEVEL_1 (left low beam)
FEM_BODY -> 3062 > MAPPING_ABBLENDL_R_PWM_LEVEL_1 (right low beam).

I did not have to code anything for the high beams because they did not flicker when it is turned on. But if you need to, the codes are

FEM_BODY -> 3062 > MAPPING_FERNL_L_PWM_LEVEL_1
FEM_BODY -> 3062 -> MAPPING_FERNL_R_PWM_LEVEL_1

For the low beam and the high beam PWM Level_1, all the default values are HEX: 82, which translates to 8*16+2 = 130 or 13.0V. The value that worked for me was 13.7V (137/16 = 8 with remainder 9) or in HEX 89. You can play with this depending on the kit you bought by increasing the second digit one at a time, note after 89, it is not 90 but rather 8A, 8B, 8C, 8D, 8E, 8F, and then 90, then 91, 92, 93 … 99, 9A, 9B, read up on HEX code from Wikipedia if you are interested but I assume most people play with coding knows this by now.

So for the kit I bought (Innovited AC 35W HID Xenon Conversion Kit - H7 from Amazon, $40), I coded the value from 82 to 89, (13V to 13.7V) and the low beams stopped flickering, high beams never flickered at all so I left it alone. These headlights have built-in solenoids for the outer projectors to act as both high and low, the inner projectors are dummies. You can opt to buy the same thing or maybe something different. I went with 5000K for the pure white without much blue.

In conclusion, it was a bit of work but I believe the results are well-worth it. I had a pair of GPThunders 5800K halogens in these headlights before, the color is right but the road coverage was very poor. You can also get Philips diamond vision or nightbreaker or whatnot, but they will still be inferior compared to HIDs.

Here are couple night shots and the cutoff from my iPhone. The front turn signals are LEDs as well, they are sourced from eBay, no coding was necessary and did not have any error.

Cutoff - the optics are not as good as OEM but still miles better than the halogen. If someone can point out the code for resizing images, that would be great
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/vcf9j.jpg[/IMG]

Front - sorry about the over exposure, they are bright!
[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/3023n1c.jpg[/IMG]

Side shot - low beam only.
[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/15vol0.jpg[/IMG]

Let me know if you want to see some more pics, i can use a DSLR if needed :\
Bought these and installed in my F31. Installed Kensun HID 5000K. Coded out the warm/cold checks. No errors. They were flickering and cutting out badly on low beams, so I coded to adjust the low beam voltage (as detailed by Jondaman). Had to adjust up to Hex 90. Seem to be working perfectly now. I'll update once I've run them a couple weeks!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #224
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=kangheemin;20575704]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Well, you turned the wrong one. There are two screws on each side, one for up/down and one for left/right. Look again

I made sure to check both.
As I said the side to side screw works but the up and down doesn't. It just keeps spinning, but it isn't turning the gears.
MBnational just responded and told me if I keep the headlights as is they will issue a 20% partial refund.
currently debating what to do.
Is it really bad? If not, I guess you should get 20% refund
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 12:36 PM   #225
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I

[QUOTE=mbfanos;20580205]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin View Post

Is it really bad? If not, I guess you should get 20% refund
Thankfully it's not too bad. I drove it around during the evening for a bit and it doesn't seem to bother any of the drivers. Just don't think I can put HID's on the car with this set of headlights though as I know it will distract the people in front of me if I do. Since I just have halogen lights, it doesn't seem to distract anyone.

I already ordered the HID so I will try installing that and test once again. If it's really bad with the HID's....I have to stick with the halogen bulbs with this set.
20% is tempting, but I would honestly rather have a set that would work perfectly...still debating on what to do haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 04:14 PM   #226
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10

Installed my lights yesterday using a shop I trust in the San Fran area. Loves the look (god my car is finally complete!).

Realized I forgot to check something in the light..... Is there a way to replace the LED 'light' that powers the angel rings? I think factory BMW is a special LED bulb you can 'twist' in. Is our after market one a built-in light or something compatible with these BMW light bulbs (or other light bulbs)

Thinking ahead
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #227
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrossVFX222 View Post
Installed my lights yesterday using a shop I trust in the San Fran area. Loves the look (god my car is finally complete!).

Realized I forgot to check something in the light..... Is there a way to replace the LED 'light' that powers the angel rings? I think factory BMW is a special LED bulb you can 'twist' in. Is our after market one a built-in light or something compatible with these BMW light bulbs (or other light bulbs)

Thinking ahead
LED module that fits into the underside of the headlight fixture. The "twist in" bulbs, I think were for previous E90's.

Check the other link with the USR headlights......last page has details on modules and replacements..

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...274932&page=29
      09-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #228
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
LED module that fits into the underside of the headlight fixture. The "twist in" bulbs, I think were for previous E90's.

Check the other link with the USR headlights......last page has details on modules and replacements..

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...274932&page=29
Too bad..... I guess if the light breaks I have to go back to factory
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #229
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Too bad..... I guess if the light breaks I have to go back to factory
You shouldn't have to. Assuming it's compatible with OEM LED modules, or the manufacturer will sell you a replacement, it'll install to the underside of the headlight assembly just like OEM.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #230
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To replace it, do we have to take the headlights off? That's gonna be a PITA...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 03:17 PM   #231
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To replace it, do we have to take the headlights off? That's gonna be a PITA...
Based on that other thread from USR... yes we do need to take the Headlights off.

So also some experience with the light pattern... The lights look good, but even with projector, using HID.... at least my left side scattered a little bit...

My camera is bad, but I may send a picture to the seller to see if they believe the light is defective or not (but I don't think so). Feel like a typical scattered pattern.

Believe or not those eagle eyes projector are probably the best if you want to retrofit HID.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 03:58 PM   #232
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Based on that other thread from USR... yes we do need to take the Headlights off.

So also some experience with the light pattern... The lights look good, but even with projector, using HID.... at least my left side scattered a little bit...

My camera is bad, but I may send a picture to the seller to see if they believe the light is defective or not (but I don't think so). Feel like a typical scattered pattern.

Believe or not those eagle eyes projector are probably the best if you want to retrofit HID.
Does it look like mine?

Mine looks even sharper when the bulbs are warm. I took that photo from a cold start.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      09-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #233
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Does it look like mine?

Mine looks even sharper when the bulbs are warm. I took that photo from a cold start.
More or less. It's a little hard to explain. I guess on the left side instead of a FOCUS point, the light scatter a little bit to the bottom.. But otherwise just as bright and similiar to your. No where near as insane as putting HID on our crappy reflector.

quick question if you have a minute, when we did our light's up/down adjustment we did it at 24.5 inch from ground to the center point... what is yours? I wonder if my left side is just too low...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 06:42 PM   #234
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
More or less. It's a little hard to explain. I guess on the left side instead of a FOCUS point, the light scatter a little bit to the bottom.. But otherwise just as bright and similiar to your. No where near as insane as putting HID on our crappy reflector.

quick question if you have a minute, when we did our light's up/down adjustment we did it at 24.5 inch from ground to the center point... what is yours? I wonder if my left side is just too low...
WOW! You guys entering a headlight brightness competition??!!!

Those look WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY better than the OEM halogen lights that we all had previously.
      09-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #235
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WOW! You guys entering a headlight brightness competition??!!!

Those look WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY better than the OEM halogen lights that we all had previously.
I think his looks great... I am concerned my Projector maybe just a tag defective (or maybe its my HID)... well... regardless its better than the OEM halogen and I am not going to move back to the EE lights... so it is what it is
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      09-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #236
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think his looks great... I am concerned my Projector maybe just a tag defective (or maybe its my HID)... well... regardless its better than the OEM halogen and I am not going to move back to the EE lights... so it is what it is
Total tongue in cheek.......both of your lights look great!

I'm still debating on HID's or retrofitsource LEDs.
      09-22-2016, 08:03 PM   #237
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Honestly I just pulled it close to the wall, marked some points on the wall. Then, I backed up and adjusted it close to those points. As long as I don't blind everyone on the road, I'm ok haha.

Not sure why the cut off got better now. This is also from a cold start. It looks sharper than before

Anyway, I'm never ever going back to halogen or buy another BMW/Mercedes with halogen again

Quote:
Total tongue in cheek.......both of your lights look great!

I'm still debating on HID's or retrofitsource LEDs.
I have a feeling aftermarket LED is not in their prime time yet. They are not as good as HID. That's my opinion.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 01:38 PM   #238
macrossVFX222
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Honestly I just pulled it close to the wall, marked some points on the wall. Then, I backed up and adjusted it close to those points. As long as I don't blind everyone on the road, I'm ok haha.

Not sure why the cut off got better now. This is also from a cold start. It looks sharper than before

Anyway, I'm never ever going back to halogen or buy another BMW/Mercedes with halogen again

I have a feeling aftermarket LED is not in their prime time yet. They are not as good as HID. That's my opinion.
Looking at your picture i think either my HID ARC (Bulb) on the left side is having issues or the project on the left is defective... its something I can live with so I probably won't do anything....

But thanks for the picture...
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #239
blackforge
Rep
Drives: 328i

mbfanos,

I know you mentioned that you placed the ballast on top of the light housing and the igniter and the canbus underneath the frame. Wouldn't it get hot with all that equipment sitting on top of the light housing?

Could you please provide a picture to see how it is all sitting?

Thanks!

I'm trying to see what options I could have as far as mounting the ballast where it is supposed to go, but the included bracket with the morimoto is definitely a no go.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #240
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackforge View Post
mbfanos,

I know you mentioned that you placed the ballast on top of the light housing and the igniter and the canbus underneath the frame. Wouldn't it get hot with all that equipment sitting on top of the light housing?

Could you please provide a picture to see how it is all sitting?

Thanks!

I'm trying to see what options I could have as far as mounting the ballast where it is supposed to go, but the included bracket with the morimoto is definitely a no go.
I will take a photo for you tomorrow. I kinda suspend the ballast by zip ties
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:49 PM   #241
blackforge
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
I will take a photo for you tomorrow. I kinda suspend the ballast by zip ties
LOL...yeah, I figured zip ties would be involved in the process.

I was just trying to see if there was a way to make it semi-neat maybe with some 3M double sided tape? I'm interested in how you placed everything, especially the igniter and the canbus.

I have everything for it now...just seems like a lot of items on the morimoto side. I was thinking I could hide at least one item inside the headlight unit, but that doesn't seem like a possibility.

Oh, one final question...did you just plug the red and black blades straight into the original H7 plug inside the headlight? The reason I ask is because the instructions show a piece of hardware that looks like what came with the canbus units, but I think they have no use.

Last edited by blackforge; 09-30-2016 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #242
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackforge View Post
LOL...yeah, I figured zip ties would be involved in the process.

I was just trying to see if there was a way to make it semi-neat maybe with some 3M double sided tape...
I thought of the heat issue and I figured out that suspending the ballasts helps cool the ballasts haha
Appreciate 0