F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > ebay Full Halo Angel Eye Conversion Headlights $599
Extreme Powerhouse

09-13-2016, 12:06 AM   #199
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
They are much easier when the headlights are off. I screw mine with the mounting brackets on the side of the headlight towards the middle of the car and tie the cables with twist ties.
Similar to how OEM did it but obviously the cables are outside the headlights. Here is a picture for reference of the ballast location.
On the right side, it's easy but there isn't much space on the left side. Could you take some pictures of your headlights with ballasts mounting on them?
Thanks a lot!!
Sorry they are on the headlights now so I don't want to spent the time to take them off to take photos.
But this is what I did, ask questions if you have any and I will try to help. My ballast came with a set of mounting brackets and I attached to one of the three screws, no clicking or rattling noise so far. It was a normal (none slim) size ballast so most should fit. A more sophisticated installation would be feeding the cables inside the headlight. But I didn't want to do that in case they need to be replaced later.
Take a look at my world class scribbles.
Attached Images

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 2
scostu1623.00
mbfanos54.50
      09-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #200
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just installed mine. No error whatsoever They fit perfectly. It took me and my brother 6 hours though. The bottom screws are really an a$$
@anyone using halogen bulbs with these headlights: since the two outer projectors do low beam and high beam, you're gonna get less light output with low beam compared to the original reflector headlights => LED or HID is a must with these.

TLDR: I LOVE THESE!!!
BTW, for the fog lights, I threw a pair of GPThunder 5800K in there. They matched the HID colors pretty well but the light output sucks.
Some other forum member used the horizon LEDs and had great success. That maybe on my to do list later. I live in a area where most roads are younger than Algerian drinking age so don't really need fog lights, just for looks.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #201
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
BTW, for the fog lights, I threw a pair of GPThunder 5800K in there. They matched the HID colors pretty well but the light output sucks.
Some other forum member used the horizon LEDs and had great success. That maybe on my to do list later. I live in a area where most roads are younger than Algerian drinking age so don't really need fog lights, just for looks.
How about reverse lights? I'm very practical and don't care (that much) about look (Well I do..., just a bit haha). As long as there is more light output, I'm gonna go get it as I often drive on country roads now, something I totally not expected when I bought the car two years ago. Well, things change
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:59 AM   #202
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328I

Just wanted to share my headlights with everyone.
Will be doing the install with the Halogen lights first, and if they are unbearable I will switch to HID right away. Most likely go the route that Jondaman went.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #203
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin View Post
Will be doing the install with the Halogen lights first, and if they are unbearable I will switch to HID right away. Most likely go the route that Jondaman went.
Congrats!! They just look awesome, eh?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #204
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How about reverse lights? I'm very practical and don't care (that much) about look (Well I do..., just a bit haha). As long as there is more light output, I'm gonna go get it as I often drive on country roads now, something I totally not expected when I bought the car two years ago. Well, things change
Probably LEDs, the short fall for LEDs I hear from time to time again is the throw distance being inferior to HIDs. Because you don't care about that in reverse lights and fog lights, that's where they excel.
I have done nothing so far in the rear light housing.
I am doing an NBT retrofit next, maybe come around to do something to the back at that time.
If you want the best Fog light, you can retrofit the BMW led fogs, that runs about $350 with the best performance. Someone has done a retrofit on it.

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #205
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangheemin
Quick pics from cell phone.
One is how the light bulb connect to the outside from the headlight.
The other is under the hood for where the cables are, I did it that way for accessibility because I don't expect a pair of $40 HIDs to last forever.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
mbfanos54.50
      09-13-2016, 02:35 PM   #206
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just installed the morimoto HID bulbs and they are so much better now. I'm planning to install HID for the fogs lights next.
I checked the BMW LED fog lights on this forum and I don't think it's much better than other LED options. Maybe I should do more research then?
Regarding the HID setup, I did similar to Jondaman but with the ballast right where the connector is in the second picture. The wires and other connectors are tuck beneath that frame => maximum accessibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #207
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just installed the morimoto HID bulbs and they are so much better now. I'm planning to install HID for the fogs lights next.
I checked the BMW LED fog lights on this forum and I don't think it's much better than other LED options. Maybe I should do more research then?
Regarding the HID setup, I did similar to Jondaman but with the ballast right where the connector is in the second picture. The wires and other connectors are tuck beneath that frame => maximum accessibility.
Did you have to do any coding after using the CANbus and anti flicker devices?

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #208
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Did you have to do any coding after using the CANbus and anti flicker devices?
I do. The car screams low/high beam malfunction. I just coded the low/high beam and the car still throws errors. I'll try coding the DRL and Parking lamps later.
Update: I let the car sits for a few hours and it doesn't throw any errors anymore.

Last edited by mbfanos; 09-13-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #209
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just attached the light cutoff. What do you guys think? What should I adjust?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jondaman157.50
      09-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #210
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow, HIDs are so bright. I will post up the my pattern when I install my halogens just for comparison for people who aren't sure. I think I'm gonna go LED or HID as soon as possible looking at your pictures.

Just for more transparency, this is the bulbs I'm planning on installing first. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #211
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, HIDs are so bright. I will post up the my pattern when I install my halogens just for comparison for people who aren't sure. I think I'm gonna go LED or HID as soon as possible looking at your pictures.

Just for more transparency, this is the bulbs I'm planning on installing first. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
HIDs are awesome, I have a feeling you will return those Philips in about two days
If no coding if needed with the CANBus and Flickering cancelling circuit, I would just get HIDs.

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #212
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Just attached the light cutoff. What do you guys think? What should I adjust?
Thanks
Looks awesome dude! Congrats!
Can you post the link for the igniter and the CANBus, anti-flickers you bought? I might just put those in if they stop the errors. I would hate to having to code my headlights every time I take my car in for service, this seem to avoid that. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #213
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Please don't buy those. I had a pair of Osram Rallye 65W (note: 65W) in the orignal headlights. They were much brighter than the OEM halogen bulbs. As soon as I put them in the new headlights, I got much less light output. That's why I installed the HID bulbs asap yesterday.
Just get an HID kit from a reputable source with the CANBUS kit. You still have to code out the cold/warm checks but they will not flicker or anything. You don't need the anti flickering relay if you buy from Theretrofitsource (Morimoto).

I used the 35W 5500K H7. If you want more light, go with 55W. I was tempted to buy the 55W but I was afraid it might get too hot.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #214
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Please don't buy those. I had a pair of Osram Rallye 65W (note: 65W) in the orignal headlights. They were much brighter than the OEM halogen bulbs. As soon as I put them in the new headlights, I got much less light output. That's why I installed the HID bulbs asap yesterday.
Just get an HID kit from a reputable source with the CANBUS kit. You still have to code out the cold/warm checks but they will not flicker or anything. You don't need the anti flickering relay if you buy from Theretrofitsource (Morimoto).

I used the 35W 5500K H7. If you want more light, go with 55W. I was tempted to buy the 55W but I was afraid it might get too hot.
Hmm...I did check out the website and the price was $185 for the Canbus kit with XB H7 5500K kit. It seems reasonable.
Should I not even install the halogen bulbs and just go with the HID?
I did add the optional Anti flicker just in case.
I'm wondering if it would be too much hassle to install the halogen first to compare and purchase the HIDs.

This is the link I used to get that pricing at Theretrofitsource. Please confirm for me if it's the right one. Thanks =)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/al...ect_restrict=1

I am also planning on getting my car coded for some of the other options and can get rid of some of the warning lights I guess while I get the other options done so I will most likely go with the HID option, but that isn't going to be for another month or so, so I would like to fit the halogen lights first and have it for about a month before I purchase the HID and code my vehicle.
So I guess I'm wondering if I should just wait on the install entirely and just go with the HID right away, or if it would be okay for me to use the halogen first and install the HID and code the vehicle later.
What do you guys think?

Last edited by kangheemin; 09-14-2016 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #215
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hmm...I did check out the website and the price was $185 for the Canbus kit with XB H7 5500K kit. It seems reasonable.
Should I not even install the halogen bulbs and just go with the HID?
I did add the optional Anti flicker just in case.
I'm wondering if it would be too much hassle to install the halogen first to compare and purchase the HIDs.

This is the link I used to get that pricing at Theretrofitsource. Please confirm for me if it's the right one. Thanks =)
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/al...ect_restrict=1

I am also planning on getting my car coded for some of the other options and can get rid of some of the warning lights I guess while I get the other options done so I will most likely go with the HID option, but that isn't going to be for another month or so, so I would like to fit the halogen lights first and have it for about a month before I purchase the HID and code my vehicle.
So I guess I'm wondering if I should just wait on the install entirely and just go with the HID right away, or if it would be okay for me to use the halogen first and install the HID and code the vehicle later.
What do you guys think?
1. Do not order the anti-flicker capacitor link. It is for the HD relay, not the CANBUS. I realized this when I watch one of the TRS' videos.
2. Do not put halogen bulb into this housing as the light output is gonna be even worse than original reflector housing. You already know why.
3. Installing the HID with the bumper off while changing the headlights is gonna be easier.
=> You should definitely wait to install the headlight and HID kit together. I would recommend you to change the fog light to match the color with the HID kit as well. You can do that along with the HID and headlight installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #216
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Any pros/cons for the Morimoto H7 LED 2stroke bulbs @ TRS????
      09-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #217
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

MBfanos I will definitely go with the HID route as you suggested.
As of now, I just installed the halogen lights until the HID kit does come. I got impatient with getting these lights in.
So...the lights are great and all, but...one issue.
The driver's side beam adjuster didn't work properly and I can't fully adjust the beam on the driver's side. I got close so am using it as of now, but it is a tab bit high. It didn't seem to bother the people in front though so will use it and hopefully the HID kit will be ordered and installed within couple weeks.
The passenger side worked flawlessly. I contacted MBNational to see if there is anything we can do about this issue.
Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Attached is a daytime picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #218
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
MBfanos I will definitely go with the HID route as you suggested.
As of now, I just installed the halogen lights until the HID kit does come. I got impatient with getting these lights in.
So...the lights are great and all, but...one issue.
The driver's side beam adjuster didn't work properly and I can't fully adjust the beam on the driver's side. I got close so am using it as of now, but it is a tab bit high. It didn't seem to bother the people in front though so will use it and hopefully the HID kit will be ordered and installed within couple weeks.
The passenger side worked flawlessly. I contacted MBNational to see if there is anything we can do about this issue.
Hopefully they get back to me soon.

Attached is a daytime picture.
What do you mean by cannot fully adjust it? You turn the screw all the way and it is still high?
Anyway, it looks great on your car
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #219
kangheemin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean by cannot fully adjust it? You turn the screw all the way and it is still high?
Anyway, it looks great on your car
Thanks!
Yeah, I turned the screw, and it doesn't do anything. haha.
It goes side to side, but up and down just wont budge. I got it to almost acceptable level, but still a tad bit high.
Still waiting on word from MBnational.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #220
Illestf30
Private
Rep
Drives: 340xi

about the headlight

will installing these headlight void the warranty? I am trying to get these lights but my car is currently a lease. Does anyone have any idea about the warranty? And also do we have to slice any wiring or anytinhg?
Appreciate 0