F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Won't accelerates after manifold cleaning
Studio RSR

04-23-2022, 05:17 AM   #1
aronky
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 328d xDrive M-Sport

Won't accelerates after manifold cleaning

I took off my intake manifold in order to clean it and did that how ever didn't have the tool to turn the engine to do the ports so I bought Liqui Moly Diesel intake carb cleaner to use for the ports. Didn't use too much of it cause it makes your cars engine shake violently. However cleared all codes and it will hardly accelerate it's spitting out these codes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 06:54 AM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

I would guess you checked that all those sensors are plugged in to the correct plug and their power supply is ok?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

What did you use to clean the IM ?
How did you clean it ? Spray & scrub, or left it to soak in a bath of fluid ?
Did you remove all the sensors from the IM before cleaning it ? (recommended)

I tried using a (brand name) IM aerosol cleaner once (and very briefly)and it made the engine sound like it was going to detonate. Never again.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 08:54 AM   #4
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

aronky I used LiquiMoly Diesel Intake cleaner a few times preventatively without any issues. All I normally do is disconnect charge air pipe that connects to "throttle body" (or anti-shudder valve, whatever you want to call it), put a towel over the charge pipe, else it will aerosolize small amounts of oil everywhere (made that mistake once that required cleaning of the hood and the walls, and some garage floor). Then I would have someone keep engine RPM around 2000 and gently spray it around the throttle body advancing it deeper until the can was used up. I would then reconnect charge air pipe, clean around, clear codes, and car is back to normal. Make sure the rubber seal/gasket that attaches charge pipe to throttle body is still there. Mine fell out the first time and I did not notice until I realized by charge air volume was registering higher than usual. Found the gasket at the bottom of underbody shield, replaced it, and all was back to normal. I started intake cleaning since around 30K and do it routinely every 20K miles. I have slacked off as of late, so I may or may not do it again. It cleans really well, but the intake soots up anyways to about the same extent, so I am not sure if that risk is worth much benefit TBH.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:48 AM   #5
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Check that you didn't mistakenly swap boost vacuum pipes. Thats the only thing I could think that would cause that.

Also have you calibrated swirl motor flaps? Theres a procedure for that, as that would cause loss of air intake if not working correctly
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #6
jtalweezy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i xdrive (B46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Check that you didn't mistakenly swap boost vacuum pipes. Thats the only thing I could think that would cause that.

Also have you calibrated swirl motor flaps? Theres a procedure for that, as that would cause loss of air intake if not working correctly
I would 100% check the swirl flap function and re-calibrate in ISTA. As stated here, there is a dedicated ABL in ISTA for this.
2017 BMW 330ix MSport Estoril Blue - B46, ER Catless DP, ER Chargepipe, FTP Intake Charge Pipe, BMS Cone Intake, BMS OilCC, Bm3 Stage 2. FI Exhaust, xHP Stage 3 OTS Transmission tune. CSFRace heat exchanger. Performance M Brake kit. AFE Carbon Fiber D.A.S.
https://www.instagram.com/bfourtysick/
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #7
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

No amount of calibrating will fix a short circuit to ground code.
Those codes literally mean there are sensors not responding/disconnected from their harness.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #8
aronky
United_States
Rep

Turns out somehow not exactly sure how but a paper towel got sucked into my turbo.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #9
aronky
United_States
Rep

Only issues I've still got with it are the boost sensor code and EGT sensor. However I've replaced the EGT sensor and every one in a while I'll start it up and won't get the "drivetrain malfunction" message with ! in the instrument cluster. So I'm thinking it must be a loose wire somewhere or something.
Appreciate 0