F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Just love ACC....
ARMA SPEED

07-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The things I'd like to change on it are:

1) more progressive and natural way to how it brakes and also accelerates, so that it mimics how a human would do this.
2) ability to change the level of acceleration. ie. how quickly it tries to get back up to speed.

I think these systems will only get better and better as the develop them.

Yes, I think they can just improve as the systems learn and adapt.

I believe proactive drive linked to acc is also the way forward as well.

That and car 2 car, when it eventually arrives.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 03:11 AM   #24
gadget32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Garage List
I wish I had ordered acc, I got parking instead for the wife and she refuses to drive it. I quote"I'm not going the be the first one to scuff a wheel". Neither am I so stalemate.
Should have gone with my gut instinct when box ticking!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #25
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget32 View Post
I wish I had ordered acc, I got parking instead for the wife and she refuses to drive it. I quote"I'm not going the be the first one to scuff a wheel". Neither am I so stalemate.
Should have gone with my gut instinct when box ticking!
Yep, women are ok with boxes marked 'buy one get one free' etc

Keep them out of car stuff,

I must admit I was tempted with acc, however I rarely use cruise as it is, prefer simply driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Ordered a 335xd yesterday and didn't spec ACC - I think I'll prefer to drive and anticipate traffic conditions unlike the system which needs to look at the car immediately in front. If money was no object I'd have got it - i just wasn't sure I'd use it though so left it off....shame i couldn't test drive it and have actual experience rather then guessing it's pros/cons. Thanks to this thread which gave me lot's to consider - I love this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 08:14 AM   #27
Arwmjc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xdrive on order

Just out of interest are bmw improving the system every year? I mean is the 2014 version better than the acc in the 2012 cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Can ACC be used as an 'ordinary' cruise control ?
      07-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #29
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

surely it only brakes harshly as it is meant to be used as a means of last resort? or have I got it wrong ?

I'm all for technology , I love cruise control but id like to alert enough to know when to brake
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #30
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
Can ACC be used as an 'ordinary' cruise control ?
I'm not sure what you mean. It acts like an ordinary cruise control with the exception that it won't drive you straight into the back of someone going slower than you. I'm not sure how you could see that as a disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

I think you'll find you'll have 'ordinary' CC where you adjust the car's speed and then you can activate ACC where the car's speed will be modulated in relation to the car immediately in front right down to stopping then moving off. You can vary the distance to the car in front...but I understand never enough to prevent someone cutting in front on a busy M-way.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zofinger View Post
I think you'll find you'll have 'ordinary' CC where you adjust the car's speed and then you can activate ACC where the car's speed will be modulated in relation to the car immediately in front right down to stopping then moving off. You can vary the distance to the car in front...but I understand never enough to prevent someone cutting in front on a busy M-way.
ACC is always radar controlled, you don't have the option to drop down to ordinary. Or if you do, I don't know how, but I've never looked.
As far as stopping people cutting in - some people will cut in if there's a *** paper between you, I just let them go. No point getting road rage.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #33
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
ACC is always radar controlled, you don't have the option to drop down to ordinary. Or if you do, I don't know how, but I've never looked.
As far as stopping people cutting in - some people will cut in if there's a *** paper between you, I just let them go. No point getting road rage.
lol - the english vernacular for cigarette is apparently too rude for this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:16 AM   #34
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno
Quote:
You're bang on. Funny thing is once you've got over other drivers being complete tools, it's thoroughly relaxing. You also realise that all their shuffling around makes really bugger all difference to their progress!!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #35
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Really? ACC is always on and you can't have 'non-radar' CC if you have paid for ACC?! Think I'm pleased I didn't get it as I clearly made a big (and wrong) assumption.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 03:42 AM   #36
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Really? ACC is always on and you can't have 'non-radar' CC if you have paid for ACC?! Think I'm pleased I didn't get it as I clearly made a big (and wrong) assumption.
Why would you want a non-radar mode? You can always override it with the accelerator or brake, which you would be doing all the time with non-radar CC.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:18 AM   #37
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
You're bang on. Funny thing is once you've got over other drivers being complete tools, it's thoroughly relaxing. You also realise that all their shuffling around makes really bugger all difference to their progress!!
+1

Very noticeable on some long journeys, you always seem to catch up with the same tool later on.

That and people who insist on speeding up as you over take them!!! Grrr

It's rather obvious when your cruise is set to 70 etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:36 AM   #38
zofinger
Major
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
Why would you want a non-radar mode? You can always override it with the accelerator or brake, which you would be doing all the time with non-radar CC.
I'd need to use it to respond appropriately as otherwise I'll be assuming as to the pros/cons. In short I really try not to brake and lift off way in advance on the M-way - I just thought ACC would 'constantly' be braking the accelerating to maintain distance as it can't look beyond the car in front. I'd love to give it a go as there might be things you can play with to compensate this (e.g.: increasing/decreasing distance bars). I think it would also be fun to play with and break-up long journey's!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #39
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd need to use it to respond appropriately as otherwise I'll be assuming as to the pros/cons. In short I really try not to brake and lift off way in advance on the M-way - I just thought ACC would 'constantly' be braking the accelerating to maintain distance as it can't look beyond the car in front. I'd love to give it a go as there might be things you can play with to compensate this (e.g.: increasing/decreasing distance bars). I think it would also be fun to play with and break-up long journey's!
I agree with preferring to look ahead and not be constantly braking and speeding up, which is why it's better to choose a larger separation. Assuming you have a sensible driver in front of you, (s)he will be doing the look ahead for your ACC to mimic. Of course this is a massive and regrettably mostly unwarranted assumption.

To be honest it's suitable for some sorts of traffic and not others. But for the sort of traffic where it's not suitable, 'normal' cruise control would be even less suitable as you would be constantly intervening.

I had it on my E92 and found it useful enough to spec again, for those times when interesting driving is not possible. And, yes it can be quite fun trying to optimise it's behaviour. And of course, as a bit of a gadget freak - RADAR in a CAR! How could I resist?

I suppose what I'm saying is - if you're the sort of person who uses cruise control, ACC is always better than standard. If you don't want to use cruise control, ACC is clearly a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #40
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Used it in anger to Birmingham and back today, still love it.

Yes it could be slightly quicker to react when they move out the way but works well when overtaking.

Not bad mpg either, but that another thread that people hate!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #41
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Yes you can switch ACC into 'normal' CC mode
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #42
Benf
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
You can use it as normal cruise control by holding the distance buttons down.

I seem to be the only one but I had dreadful problems with my ACC, so much so that it was the main reason I sold the f30 after 12 months. I know that BMW was aware of glitches with the software but mine was never sorted. When it did work it was very good. I used to override it a bit with the throttle and let it brake for me if required as I did find it left such a large gap people didn't move out of the fast lane on dual carriageways.

I thought I would miss it but I don't really. A nice feature for £600 (on an f30) I would say get it (if it is now fixed) but at £1200+ (On f10) no way!

Interestingly on f30 I didn't spec HUD thinking it would be a bit rubbish and pointless but having tested an f32 with one I ordered it on my new car. I think it is awesome and we'll worth the cash (more than acc!).
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #43
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benf View Post
You can use it as normal cruise control by holding the distance buttons down.
So you can, tried it last night. I guess I should RTFM before commenting. I'm still struggling to understand why you would want to.
Appreciate 0