F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Non RunFlat Setup
ARMA SPEED

06-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Non RunFlat Setup

Hey guys, I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to switch out the run-flats to regular tires. I'd like to hear from those of you who did make the switch, specifically what is your plan for a flat-tire? I've heard some people put an extra tire in the trunk, if so, literally an extra tire of the same type? Or something smaller? How much space does it take up? What about a jack and other road-side tools if you had to change it?

If you don't carry an extra tire, what's your plan?

I'm interested to know the solutions you guys have come up with. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
gerbs
woof
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
solution

Toss one of these in the trunk compartment under the floor mat:

2013 F13 ///M6 Sakhir Orange
2013 F30 335i Estoril Blue II
2008 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue
2007 E92 335i Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
RASHID007
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d X-Drive

I've subscribed to this thread and am also interested in getting feedback from those that have actually changed to non run flat.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
SL01
Private
Rep
Drives:

I had an RX-8 for 5 years. It didn't have a spare tire, nor did it have run-flats. Instead, they included an air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat goop in the trunk.

I never used the goop - instead, I learned how to plug tires. It's easy, google will show you how. Fix-a-flat will ruin the tire and annoy the tire shop guy that has to clean it up, plugs are permanent fixes. Through those years of ownership, I never had to plug a tire on the side of the road. In the couple of cases where I picked up a screw or nail, I could always use the air compressor to get enough air in to safely get home and fix the tire in my garage.

When my 135i went through it's first set of tires, I replaced them with non-run-flats, bought a BMW scissor jack, an air compressor and a AAA membership and still came out ahead over the cost of the run-flats. I never had to use any of that stuff in the 3 and a half years I drove with non-run-flats.

I'll be pulling the run-flats off my shiny new 328i soon and will store them for the lease return. I'll put the jack, the plug kit, and compressor in the trunk and make sure there's some kind of lug wrench in there. If not, I'll also carry my torque wrench. I still have the AAA membership. But my plan for a flat is pretty simple:

1) Low tire? Air it up, fix it at home, at a rest area, or at a tire shop (usually about $20 to plug a tire, some places will do it for free if you bought the tires there)

2) Blow out? Have AAA take it to a tire shop. I don't expect BMW roadside to help with a tire issue if I don't have run-flats
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
bcl0328
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL01 View Post
I had an RX-8 for 5 years. It didn't have a spare tire, nor did it have run-flats. Instead, they included an air compressor and a can of fix-a-flat goop in the trunk.

I never used the goop - instead, I learned how to plug tires. It's easy, google will show you how. Fix-a-flat will ruin the tire and annoy the tire shop guy that has to clean it up, plugs are permanent fixes. Through those years of ownership, I never had to plug a tire on the side of the road. In the couple of cases where I picked up a screw or nail, I could always use the air compressor to get enough air in to safely get home and fix the tire in my garage.

When my 135i went through it's first set of tires, I replaced them with non-run-flats, bought a BMW scissor jack, an air compressor and a AAA membership and still came out ahead over the cost of the run-flats. I never had to use any of that stuff in the 3 and a half years I drove with non-run-flats.

I'll be pulling the run-flats off my shiny new 328i soon and will store them for the lease return. I'll put the jack, the plug kit, and compressor in the trunk and make sure there's some kind of lug wrench in there. If not, I'll also carry my torque wrench. I still have the AAA membership. But my plan for a flat is pretty simple:

1) Low tire? Air it up, fix it at home, at a rest area, or at a tire shop (usually about $20 to plug a tire, some places will do it for free if you bought the tires there)

2) Blow out? Have AAA take it to a tire shop. I don't expect BMW roadside to help with a tire issue if I don't have run-flats
you can repair run flats. i just had one with a nail in it, drove to work and back home on it. local shop plugged it for $38.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL01 View Post

Thanks, this is a lot of good information. I think I'll make the switch, for my summer tires at least, once my OEMs wear out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

isnt there issues with insurance if you change to non runflats?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
isnt there issues with insurance if you change to non runflats?
No....
Appreciate 0