F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Slightly disappointed after visiting the showroom
GetBMWParts

03-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
ajdresner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 GT

Slightly disappointed after visiting the showroom

Hi guys,

Let me start by saying, the car drives great. Having owned 2 3 series in the past, I am a fan. We only have the 320d here in Sport or Luxury trim, I saw the Sport.

I was worried about the run flats, based on a previous experience, but these are meaty and the car drives fantastic over every kind of road I threw at it here in Bangkok and we have em all!

I love the visibility of this car, which again is important in this city when you are navigating small streets and there are a lot of pedestrians, and other cars trying to squeeze thru.

The Diesel is awesome, great power, quiet, and smooth.

The interior is spacious and familiar.

I love the trunk, etc.

But for a 90K US price tag, they removed the sun roof and the lumbar support! Okay, so I could live without the sunroof (not really), but the lumbar support? Even a basic entry level Japanese car has that?! I don't know what they were thinking.. but my back is way to old for long drive without it. It has the sports seats, they adjust in every direction, and the side supports squeeze in and out, so this might be in place of the lumbar? I am heading to the auto show today to see it again. STICKING POINT FOR ME

If the car had a sunroof and lumbar, I would have made my deposit on the spot. Silver, with a black interior.

Will need to see the C350 Plug-In hybrid today to compare side by side, it has the sunroof, lumbar, and more. Also has twice the fuel efficiency and is a petrol engine. I have heard from multiple sources that the Diesel fuel in Thailand is not very good and ruins engines over time... who knows, this might be older news as I read a report that it's been improving for many years now.

Disappointed for sure... Will need to make a tough choice this afternoon.

Thoughts? Do you guys have Lumbar in NA, EU?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I have standard seats, no lumbar, am 66 years old with a seriously bad arthritic back. I'm 6 feet tall, 250 pounds. Five hour drives don't bother my back a bit.
I found the back seat very uncomfortable, so even though I don't ride there I picked up a pair of $29 lumbar supports and with them it's fine.
I considered a hybrid, but even with a gas engine calculated it would take me ten years to break even on the added cost with the fuel savings.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I have standard seats, no lumbar, am 66 years old with a seriously bad arthritic back. I'm 6 feet tall, 250 pounds. Five hour drives don't bother my back a bit.
I found the back seat very uncomfortable, so even though I don't ride there I picked up a pair of $29 lumbar supports and with them it's fine.
I considered a hybrid, but even with a gas engine calculated it would take me ten years to break even on the added cost with the fuel savings.
Hi, and thanks for taking the time to share. Yea, i'm 45 with 4 bad disks in my back which can really bother me. I went to look at the car again today, it was actually next to the c350 estate I am also looking here at our auto show. The front seat on the GT is actually fine.. it's the backseat that makes my wife concerned. It's really not that ergonomically designed and comfortable. The rear seat on the c350 was way more conforming and supple.

The info entertainment on the BMW is way better than the Benz, Faster, Better options, and works with Siri. Very sharp and well designed.

BMW is easier to get in and out of

BMW has way more living and loading room

Panoramic sunroof on the Benz is sweet, wish the BMW had one here.

Design is subjective, my wife and I liked both cars but the Benz took the cake. That C350 Estate is sweet

The BMW drives great, still have not driven the C350. The c350 has 19 inch rims and low profile tires. This looks great, but it might not be so great in the real world of Bangkok with our wide range of roads. my 330 convertible back in the day had a setup like this and I cracked those rims 2 times.

Deal on the GT is better, it's less money and includes 5 years warranty and 5 years of service. Benz is 3 year warranty only.

Honestly, it's sorta unfair to compare the both. The Benz is imported from Germany and has a lot of nice options, features. The BMW is partially imported, and finished off in Thailand. BMW strips it down for the most part...like removing the sunroof, and a lot of options like xDrive.

I want to make my mind up this week, so I can get one of the cars that are in stock. They have 2 Silver on Black GT's and 1 Black of Black C350 coming next month. I'm sure if I don't move quick, I will loose them all.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

I agree, I fitted electric seats with memory, but to add lumbar support that would cost extra.

For that price you should get lumber support for free.
      03-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdresner View Post
it's the backseat that makes my wife concerned.
+1. it's a slab. I put in a pair of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
The straps keep them from moving about and they make all the difference in the seat comfort. If you have black upholstery you hardly can tell that they're not original.
I considered the C class, passed on it because of the rear seat and trunk room. I like my sunroof, but mainly in winter, when we don't get the sun high in the sky. I never open it, other than to vent the car on a hot day when parked.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid64k View Post
I agree, I fitted electric seats with memory, but to add lumbar support that would cost extra.

For that price you should get lumber support for free.
Since when did Lumbar support become such a luxury?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
+1. it's a slab. I put in a pair of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
The straps keep them from moving about and they make all the difference in the seat comfort. If you have black upholstery you hardly can tell that they're not original.
I considered the C class, passed on it because of the rear seat and trunk room. I like my sunroof, but mainly in winter, when we don't get the sun high in the sky. I never open it, other than to vent the car on a hot day when parked.
Thank you, if we decide to go with the logical choice..I will be ordering a few of these. Once our baby is a little older, her time in the back seat will be up anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since when did Lumbar support become such a luxury?
My base model seat has all the lumbar support that I need, and that's considerable. It's just not adjustable. My '07 Altima always seemed comfortable, but after a few days of driving the GT I couldn't stand to even sit in the Altima, let alone drive it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Drove the GT again today, also drove the 5 class. GT handles the road "better" than the 5 (520d) that was available to drive today. Now I'm curious about the 4 series?! Is this going to be worth a look? How does it drive? Does it have a more ergonomically designed backseat?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Drove the GT again today, also drove the 5 class. GT handles the road "better" than the 5 (520d) that was available to drive today. Now I'm curious about the 4 series?! Is this going to be worth a look? How does it drive? Does it have a more ergonomically designed backseat?
4 series drives better than GT (and looks better too). But the back seat is cramped and I doubt it will have a better backseat. If anything, seats may be worse. GT was supposedly (mis)designed with the idea of hauling people in the back, but yes, they could have done a better job.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #11
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah the 4 series is way better drive with much better looks.

The 4 series is rated as a 4+1 seater which equates to 2 seats at the back with a + 1 seat in the middle meaning that it is not much of a seat.

Where as the GT is classed as a 5 seater = 3 seats at the back.

I looked at the 4 GC and a 5 series M Sport but I still opted for the GT.
      03-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushkr View Post
GT was supposedly (mis)designed with the idea of hauling people in the back
It, and similar extended wheelbase models from other manufacturers as well, was intended primarily for the Chinese market, where anyone who can afford a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus etc probably has a chauffeur. In China driving your own car, no matter how expensive, is considered plebian. Even Ford and GM make extended wheelbase models for the Chinese market that they don't sell elsewhere. I'd expect GTs for the Chinese market would have better rear seats.
Appreciate 1
dasman0.00
      03-24-2016, 04:09 AM   #13
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Yea, agree with all your comments guys and appreciate the feedback and knowledge share. Here in Thailand, I have a van and driver, but still prefer to drive myself around. The Camry sold in this market is so nice and plush in the back with electronically reclining seats and many controls...as Billfitz was saying, execs ride in back.

I'm very much leaning toward the GT, but see it's going to be refreshed within a year? I wonder if I should wait?! It's not like Thailand gets the best spec and refresh right away... and doesn't look like the next generation of iDrive has Apple Carplay either..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm very much leaning toward the GT, but see it's going to be refreshed within a year? I wonder if I should wait?!
The changes appear to be mainly in the lighting, going to LED all around.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
The changes appear to be mainly in the lighting, going to LED all around.
Cool, I also read that maybe some minor interior improvements and the new iDrive. Did you see the demo pics of hand gestures and iDrive? Thats pretty awesome.

After a few weeks of shopping, test driving, and looking around, I think I have this choice down to the X3, GT, and 5 series. I know I am all over the board, but it's the limited choices here in Thailand.
  • The GT drives best, not such a great backseat for mom right now with our infant, but that will change in 6 months or so when Jr can sit back there alone, and would be a great family car for the inner city. Tons of space inside, love how open it is inside. Very easy to get in and out of with a bad back.
  • The X3, have not driven it yet, better back seat (resolves that issue), lesser front seat, and would be a great family car for the inner city, but maybe the footprint is a little bigger than the GT? Very easy to get in and out of with a bad back. Currently have a great 5 year old, low miles, CR-V, so feels redundant.
  • The 5 Series, great back seat (resolves that issue), great front seat, drives nice, beautiful interior and design, not as sporty driving as the GT, has a larger foot print and not so great for navigating around the inner city. A little low, might hurt my back after a little while getting in and out.. like my 330 did.

The GT is were my budget is..the X3 is over, and the 5 is way over, altho I can afford all of em...

Exciting all around tho, amazing cars... excited to be back in a Bimmer again. Funny how people tell me I should be in a Benz, but the C class models they sell here drive nice..but nothing like BMW. Obviously, hanging out in this thread you know where I am leaning
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 10:02 AM   #16
sushkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive GT

Quote:
Cool, I also read that maybe some minor interior improvements and the new iDrive. Did you see the demo pics of hand gestures and iDrive? Thats pretty awesome.

After a few weeks of shopping, test driving, and looking around, I think I have this choice down to the X3, GT, and 5 series. I know I am all over the board, but it's the limited choices here in Thailand.
  • The GT drives best, not such a great backseat for mom right now with our infant, but that will change in 6 months or so when Jr can sit back there alone, and would be a great family car for the inner city. Tons of space inside, love how open it is inside. Very easy to get in and out of with a bad back.
  • The X3, have not driven it yet, better back seat (resolves that issue), lesser front seat, and would be a great family car for the inner city, but maybe the footprint is a little bigger than the GT? Very easy to get in and out of with a bad back. Currently have a great 5 year old, low miles, CR-V, so feels redundant.
  • The 5 Series, great back seat (resolves that issue), great front seat, drives nice, beautiful interior and design, not as sporty driving as the GT, has a larger foot print and not so great for navigating around the inner city. A little low, might hurt my back after a little while getting in and out.. like my 330 did.

The GT is were my budget is..the X3 is over, and the 5 is way over, altho I can afford all of em...

Exciting all around tho, amazing cars... excited to be back in a Bimmer again. Funny how people tell me I should be in a Benz, but the C class models they sell here drive nice..but nothing like BMW. Obviously, hanging out in this thread you know where I am leaning
My opinion: go with the GT. My wife sometimes (many times) sits in the back with our child and she's done that couple of times over long jounneys (3-4 hours). No complaints on the seat itself, although the ride according to her is more bumpy at the back.

X3 is a great option (I prefer traditional looks of X3 much more than the X4). You won't go wrong there. But you will loose the excellent drive and feel of GT. But again, if you don't get a panoramic roof on GT and do get it on X3, go for X3. I dig panoramic roofs. I use them a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #17
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushkr View Post
My opinion: go with the GT. My wife sometimes (many times) sits in the back with our child and she's done that couple of times over long jounneys (3-4 hours). No complaints on the seat itself, although the ride according to her is more bumpy at the back.
This is good to know, will certainly pass that along over here.

[/QUOTE]X3 is a great option (I prefer traditional looks of X3 much more than the X4). You won't go wrong there. But you will loose the excellent drive and feel of GT. But again, if you don't get a panoramic roof on GT and do get it on X3, go for X3. I dig panoramic roofs. I use them a lot.[/QUOTE]

I wish.. only models here that come with is some very top of the line 180K plus models. BMW Thailand does not see the value in offering that spec here. My son would have loved that on road trips. The C350 I was looking at has it, but that car sorta drives like a small boat...boring and un-engaging.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

All of the X1 and X3 owners who've seen my GT have said they would have preferred the GT had they known about it, or had it been available prior to the '14 model. You really need to go to X4 or X5 to get 'more' than what the GT offers. Even X4 doesn't add any additional utility, it's nicer but bulkier too.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #19
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree.

The X4 has kind of grown on me. A bit lacking in space though. The new shape of the X5 does not appeal to me but it is a good vehicle.

Last edited by rapid64k; 03-25-2016 at 04:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 12:43 AM   #20
ajdresner
Private
Rep

My sales exec told me that the X4 is nice, but small. I think I would need to go with the X5 at a minimum, because thats what the X1 and X3/4 want to grow up to be...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 04:14 AM   #21
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My sales exec told me that the X4 is nice, but small. I think I would need to go with the X5 at a minimum, because thats what the X1 and X3/4 want to grow up to be...
Very true the X5 is way bigger. If i had to buy an x series then it would be an X5 for sure then an X4 the X6 is not even on my radar.
      04-01-2016, 03:24 AM   #22
ajdresner
Private
Rep

Silver on Black 320D Sport on order.. probably get it in a few weeks!
Appreciate 2