F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Canada - New Limited 335i/435i (and M235i) M Performance Editions Coming!
proTUNING Freaks

09-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #89
ohgodwhy
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d MSport

Wow around about £36000 for a brand new m performance 335i! You guys are so lucky, this would easily be £42000 in the UK I can imagine.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #90
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
So for those of us in the US, just to make sure I'm reading this right, they basically read the forums, looked at what everyone was adding from PIA stuff, and rolled it into a package? Doesn't even seem to save you any money from what I can tell...maybe $1k?

Anyone have pics of the steel grey in person under sunlight yet?

Since everyone that seems to be posting is from the US....these are Canadian cars and reflect our brutal pricing structure and the heavy demand for xDrive. Did you know that over 95% of BMW's sold in Canada are xDrive? We actually get snow and ice here for 6 months of the year....not sure if you Californian's and Texan's were aware.

ALSO, the package costs approx $12,000 over the base cost of the vehicle. This includes almost all offered options on the car (Premium Package, Executive Package, etc), plus the $11,000 in M-Performance accessories (exhaust, aero parts, carbon parts, tune, etc)

This is a great value for someone buying a car in Canada, so if you are not Canadian, please keep your comments to yourself.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #91
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
Since everyone that seems to be posting is from the US....these are Canadian cars and reflect our brutal pricing structure and the heavy demand for xDrive. Did you know that over 95% of BMW's sold in Canada are xDrive? We actually get snow and ice here for 6 months of the year....not sure if you Californian's and Texan's were aware.

ALSO, the package costs approx $12,000 over the base cost of the vehicle. This includes almost all offered options on the car (Premium Package, Executive Package, etc), plus the $11,000 in M-Performance accessories (exhaust, aero parts, carbon parts, tune, etc)

This is a great value for someone buying a car in Canada, so if you are not Canadian, please keep your comments to yourself.
My post was in no means meant as a slight. I'm honestly just confused on the pricing differences and what you're getting for it. The way the US configurator has things, base MSRP is $46,000 and with most of the packages (DAP, Premium, Tech, M sport, Cold weather, HK Audio, M sport brakes) I'm looking at a price of $59,025 - which is $13,000 over the base cost of the vehicle. Front lip, trunk spoiler, MPPK, etc run another $4,000 - $5,000 give or take depending on what you get (haven't looked at how much the side skirts would be, among other details).

Seems like a pretty close pricing difference either way is all. My curiosity is more along the lines of how much you actually save buying it in package form vs buying all the parts and installing them yourself. There appears to be a significant difference on BMW's website between the bare parts and getting them installed, so while I could see this package saving money vs getting the parts installed by a dealer I wasn't sure how much it would save vs doing it all yourself piece by piece. Which is what seems to be the general trend on the forum - installing things piece by piece, or a few at a time.

On a closing note, I haven't seen anyone debating the merits of x-drive in Canada. I'm well aware of the seasonal differences of California vs the rest of North America. Why do you think I moved back here? I ride motorcycles - we have an 11.5 month riding season, 12 months if you don't mind a bit of rain when you ride. Droughts suck for snowboarding season though, I do envy you that. Anyways, I wasn't intending for my post to come off as anything negative towards anyone's decisions to buy these. So chill and let's all remember we're here because we share a love of these cars one way or another.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #92
simarddominic
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435i XDrive M Sport MPPK+MPE

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #93
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFK007 View Post
I'm digging the f30 but hard to justify when an m3 is so close in pricing.
Gave it the same amount of thought. Bottom line, this F30 M Performance, I paid some 80k total (including extra warranty) is quite a different beast that the base 335. Furthermore, did the item for item math, the M3 sedan with the exact options as THIS car is 120,000 tax included...+ 40k in the end this M Performance is about 15k in savings for options. And, can be safely driven 12 months. M3 winter? no way. So value wise, a terrific car. And 6 months of slush and ice beats any M3 in a garage, or any M3 unfortunate enough to be trying to keep up on ice with or without LSD. I have a hard time getting the TC to loose control, although I have felt once or twice that LSD could have maybe helped.

The reality is that BMWs have gone up in price. But, lets not forget. Top equipped Civic is 30k.. Accord? 40k. Acura? 55k!!!! Be it I consider base 335i xDrive superior to any Acura, the options are their own dimension and cannot be ignored. A base 335 is not a great 3 car. The top 3 series is 65k now. When I shall buy an M3, or i9, I will not need many options as the aim is not DD but FUN driving. in 2018 cams and sensors become mandatory, so that will break 9,000$ worth of options tied with those two features (Tech and Premium)

In the attached M3 option, I added no extra warranty and left out a few options. Plus tax it is 120k. Base M3 is also not the best it can be- wheels are 18, headlights are base, telemetry not available. So one buys an M3. May want to track. Get stats. Need BMW Apps right? Well, welcome to a whole new package you need to add on. I got everything I know I can do 0-60 in 4.8 winter 1C, and 5.1, without launch control, in WINTER.

Comparing the M3 base with 335i xdrive is ridiculous, but 335i x Drive M Performance outclasses an M3 with all around, all season driving options. The M addons people criticized above are more than addons. They reflect an option structure, and that option is Florian Nisl's design, he is the the M3 and M Performance designer. All the beautiful styling on an M3 is just an option created by Nisl, and the 2d best design was kept for M Performance. Calculated, deliberate. In the F80 as well, the best experience does come with some of the options.

Some M3 owners kicked themselves for not getting Adaptive M. They discovered after the fact that Sports in Adaptive M was as stiff as Performance Suspension, but Comfort saved the car and driver tremendous discomfort on poor roads. Adaptive M is a 335 option as well. And smart headlights etc, I will not forget the day they found me, in along curb, a static deer on the Montreal-Ottawa highway during nighttime icy rain Nov 2014. Am sure regular headlights would have missed it, and the HID smart lights saved me, being able to evade around the deer on that slippery surface. The Adaptive headlights are an option as well, in an M3 I would have hit the deer.

So for 93,000 CAD one could indeed get a base M3, but without Nav, options, etc, you can hardly call it a DD. Not when you need traffic info, telemetry, ice storm quality headlights, Apps, Exec options and more. If I lived in Arizona, sure.

I recently met a young BMW part time employee that saved and got himself an M3. It is sitting in his garage. In just about any condition I have fun with this M Performance Edition, skidding in slush or on ice, disabling TC if wishing for more fun, an M3 owner would be seriously ill-cautioned to take that car out. So nearly 100k for an M3 for 5 practical months of driving (as another 1.5 are still close to 0Celsius slippery), in Canada, it is a hard hard sell.

I do have one peeve with my car: guys, girls, cops, BMW staff all confuse it for the M3, unless the more knowledgeable look carefully to see the missing fender vents, hood vent and quad pipes. Am done explaining myself, when asked "Is it an M3?" I reply "Go take a close look, what do you think?"

M3s aside, Porsche and 911s are TERRIFIC winter drivers here. Besides, all aluminum, very little can rust in the sub-chassis, and their winter driving, with winter tires, is amazing, superlative. M3 and RWD 3 series, even with winters, have essentially parked or crashed their cars out of winter driving, warm cities such as Toronto excluded.
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 01-20-2015 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #94
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Individual paint? 20" forged wheels? Seriously? What about the M3/4's carbon drive shaft and carbon roof that you can't get on a dressed up 335/435?

The M Performance Ed. (a.k.a. M3/M4 wannabe) MSRP is $66K and $70K for the 335i and 435i. The MSRP is $74K and $75K for the M3 and M4, (a.k.a., the real thing, not a wannabe). That a difference of $8K and $4K. Not a whole lot of difference when you're paying at these prices.

I don't care if you add paint of real 24K Gold and 21" wheels blessed by the pope, it's still not an real M car. An M car is in a different league performance-wise than a suped up 3/4 Series. A different class of car. In this price range, I would take a "stripper" M3 over a flashy 335i each and every day.
If any of you could read it would truly be amazing.

I said SEVERAL times I'm not debating which car is "Better" or "Real" or whatever.

All I am illustrating is that an M3/4 is more expensive in Canada than in the US and that when similar specs (most of which are tech driven) are put on the M3/4 the price comes to about $100K CAD. And that the value on the M-Perf cars is actually pretty good when you look at the cost of the individual components. I didn't set the pricing, BMW did.

I don't give a crap what car you drive or wish you could drive or whatever. It's your money, get whatever you want. Just don't chastise others for the decisions they made that were right for them by referring to cars as "wannabe" M cars. Everyone who actually knows what an "M" car is, knows that the M-Perf cars are not M cars and they're not trying to be. Fact is, they are still very nice cars and a good value for the components that come with them. In other words...don't be such an a-hole.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:51 AM   #95
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by e85sbm View Post
....We actually get snow and ice here for 6 months of the year....

6 months.... really? I live in Toronto which I'm sure is part of Canada. We're at the end of January and i think we've had maybe 4-5 days of snow on the roads. Maybe. Ice on a major street or highway? Pretty rare. The roads are salted in icy conditions. I wonder how much snow and ice they get in Vancouver?

if you're not Canadian, please tease us without mercy. How dumb can we be to pay these kind of prices in a NAFTA regime? What are we doing? Protecting car farmers? Overpriced dealerships?

I think we've got to be pretty dumb indeed. We even pay more for cars made in Canada. How dumb is that?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #96
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

the M performance is a great package for a visually great looking F30. it isn't a real M nor does it pretend to be. Two different cars for two different drivers and use.

$100K+ for a M3 is just out of the realm of practical in my world. The M Performance would have "discounts" that the M3 would not get in the near term widening it's value proposition. To me the sweet spot of the 3 series is specifying it in the 45-60k range. it's that good of a car in this price range. That's what the interior quality is built for.

Last edited by focal; 01-21-2015 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #97
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

Quick question. Do these come with 340 or 339 exhaust?

dL
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #98
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

The wheel looks terrible imo.. Stock 435 19 is the near perfect . M3/m4 is better
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #99
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Another good old BMW scam
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #100
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
M3s aside, Porsche and 911s are TERRIFIC winter drivers here. Besides, all aluminum, very little can rust in the sub-chassis, and their winter driving, with winter tires, is amazing, superlative. M3 and RWD 3 series, even with winters, have essentially parked or crashed their cars out of winter driving, warm cities such as Toronto excluded.
I'm sorry but I don't understand how a 911 is a better winter driver than a RWD 3 series if both are equipped with winters. Can you elaborate on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #101
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptChaos View Post
Too bad no LSD.
It's a cheap-E-diff
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 10:52 AM   #102
Minkia
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe w/ a clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand how a 911 is a better winter driver than a RWD 3 series if both are equipped with winters. Can you elaborate on this?
i can only assume he's referring to the carrera 4. porsches are marketed as equally able winter cars here in canada.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #103
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
In a RWD 911, the engine sits over the drive wheels. The physics are a little more forgiving when the drive wheels are sort of "carrying" the weight, versus "pushing" it from behind, as is the case with a front-engine car.

But too much is made of it. Ground clearance in a 911 is the larger concern - you can't get out of the driveway with more than a couple inches of snow.