F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > xdrive rocks!
ARMA SPEED

12-30-2015, 04:57 PM   #45
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Yes. Ground clearance is too low. I got my front bumper full of snow. See my pic above. If it is a x5 or x3. I will really dashing thru the snow. Lol
I did another bit of snowplowing with the car and it did perform very well. Seem like it work better at moderate speed compare to fwd cars I use to deal with which you have to maintain alot of speed. Anyway I guess you can't get away without shoveling after a 40cm snowfall and after your car been packed with snow on both side.( I have to park on the street) I guess that even an X5 would get stuck in theses conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #46
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
Gee whiz...I've been driving in Canadian winters on AS tires for 47 years now and have never had a problem. I've never had an accident due to snow or ice and the one time I went off the road, I was going 15kph in a blizzard and made the mistake of following another guy. I watched his tail lights go slowly towards the left and then gently tilt a bit off horizontal...and I very slowly followed him into the ditch in the median of the highway. I've never done that again.

In any case, it is possible to drive in the winter with AS tires without causing or getting into trouble. I regularly drive the speed limit on snowy roads by following four simple rules:

1. Watch out for other drivers who do not know how to drive in slippery conditions.

2. Always keep an eye on road conditions...they can change very quickly,

3. Never do anything quickly...braking, steering, accelerating...drive so you only change the car's velocity or direction very gradually. I've seen so many cars go off the road when the front wheels are pulled left or right by a large rut or deeper snow and the driver tries to swing the car back on track too quickly, or brakes heavily...bang, around she goes and you're in the ditch...or worse, an accident.

4. If you cannot see well enough to follow the above three rules...slow down or get off the road.

This approach is not for everyone...but it is how I was taught and learned to drive in the winter, and it works for me.

I do appreciate the xDrive and I've never driven with AWD.
When people give this type of advice and say they've been driving for X number of years, I always wonder how many miles do they drive per year and what type of roads/mileage they have to drive for their commute...

You can certainly "get by" with AS tires, but when you're averaging 30,000-35,000 miles/year and the commute is typically 45 miles each way on highways at speeds > 65mph, all seasons aren't going to cut it when the surface is completely snow/sleet/ice.

Option #3 is great advice, until the random child runs into the street in front of you. Good luck not doing anything quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #47
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
When people give this type of advice and say they've been driving for X number of years, I always wonder how many miles do they drive per year and what type of roads/mileage they have to drive for their commute...

You can certainly "get by" with AS tires, but when you're averaging 30,000-35,000 miles/year and the commute is typically 45 miles each way on highways at speeds > 65mph, all seasons aren't going to cut it when the surface is completely snow/sleet/ice.

Option #3 is great advice, until the random child runs into the street in front of you. Good luck not doing anything quickly.
Okee dokee...there are always exceptions to rules and as I said, this approach is not for everyone. Just pointing out that winter tires are also, not necessary for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 12:19 AM   #48
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
If you americans use the metric system like the rest of us, it would make life so much easier.

STOP BEING SO DIFFERENT
America not using the metric system pisses people off? That's hilarious. Keep doing it!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 05:07 AM   #49
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvding View Post
Man, 100mph is crazy even for dry summer condition

But you will note BMW is one of the few makers who actually give you guidance about driving the car below 100 and then above 100 mph.
The bad part about going over 100 is there's rarely an open enough roadway to do it for any distance. But putting it on cruise at 90 is possible on some of the interstates until traffic builds and slows down the overall speed. Gas mileage on sufferers a couple of MPG.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 01:12 PM   #50
tgyberg
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328 6MT / E36 M3

Quote:
If you americans use the metric system like the rest of us, it would make life so much easier.

STOP BEING SO DIFFERENT
Come down and try to make us!
      01-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #51
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

oh 90 KPH.. LOL im like who the hell goes 90 on snow covered roads !!!! As good as traction and ability to not get stuck is good, but dont forget nothing is going to stop your car into plowing into another car God forbid

I love the security of not worrying about getting stuck, but no car matters in terms of sliding out of control if slick out
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #52
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
America not using the metric system pisses people off? That's hilarious. Keep doing it!
It's retarded because when I drive down to the states, my speedometer only shows KPH, and I have to rely on a piece of paper telling me 30mph=50kph and 70mph=110km/hr. Then they have 50mph and 15mph, not to mention I look at the limit and it says 30, and I think it's 30kph and have to tell myself, "You're in 'merica, metric don't exist here."
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #53
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
It's retarded because when I drive down to the states, my speedometer only shows KPH, and I have to rely on a piece of paper telling me 30mph=50kph and 70mph=110km/hr. Then they have 50mph and 15mph, not to mention I look at the limit and it says 30, and I think it's 30kph and have to tell myself, "You're in 'merica, metric don't exist here."
I travel to the US by car about 10-15 times a year and never have a problem. Go with the flow. From Northwestern to Central New York is Trooperopolis so when the Escalade in front of you hits the brakes because his radar detector goes off you slow down. When you hit the Poconos in PA don't bother looking at the speedometer. You'll just scare yourself. Lets just say you can tell which state was mainly founded by English vs. German colonists. As for Ohio, even a computer driven car would get a ticket there. No discrimination there. All drivers are hassled to death. Its just part of the landscape. I've only been to Michigan a few times. No issues that i recall. New Jersey....ferget about it.

Come on, be nice to America. They've got to defend both themselves and us too. The lives of American boyscouts are on the line if the Netherlands gets all uppity and decides to bomb the hockey puck factory.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:20 PM   #54
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
I travel to the US by car about 10-15 times a year and never have a problem. Go with the flow. From Northwestern to Central New York is Trooperopolis so when the Escalade in front of you hits the brakes because his radar detector goes off you slow down. When you hit the Poconos in PA don't bother looking at the speedometer. You'll just scare yourself. Lets just say you can tell which state was mainly founded by English vs. German colonists. As for Ohio, even a computer driven car would get a ticket there. No discrimination there. All drivers are hassled to death. Its just part of the landscape. I've only been to Michigan a few times. No issues that i recall. New Jersey....ferget about it.

Come on, be nice to America. They've got to defend both themselves and us too. The lives of American boyscouts are on the line if the Netherlands gets all uppity and decides to bomb the hockey puck factory.
I wish our BMW comes standard with both kph and mph, makes my life easier.

Hey, we're protecting up north from the russians so, if anything it's a even relationship we have.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #55
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
I wish our BMW comes standard with both kph and mph, makes my life easier.

Hey, we're protecting up north from the russians so, if anything it's a even relationship we have.
They used to do for all cars in Canada that but no one bothers any more (or do they?). US cars are dual equipped because there is a secret movement to slowly drag America into Spanish . . . I mean the metric system.

If the Russians would just put down those nukes and drop that huge army they have, throw on the skates and meet at Dave's place (he has his own rink) for a game, we'd kick their a$$. FYI the Jr Team and Toronto Maple Leafs have swapped places. Toronto fans, sitting in the nosebleed section for $900 a seat, forgot what a winning team looks like so something had to be done.
Appreciate 0