F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > President of BMW M division, Dr. Kay Segler, provides insight into future of ///M
proTUNING Freaks

09-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #23
Tio///M
///M South Lead
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jerez Blk / Fox Red Ext

Wow, its getting crazy in the automotive world..... But all those in favor of an E-92 M3 CSL, say "!I!"

MFlight!! .......NOW
///M SOUTH
on Facebook!!
FOR SALE!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #24
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Maybe he will get run over by one of his monstrosity gas guzzling worthless automatic fake-M SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You have to remember that the Vette's rest of the world sales amount to diddly squat in comparison to what is sold in it's home market, and compared to the rest of the world the US still sits very close to one of the cheapest places for fuel.
Yes, I absolutely realize that - he (and I) did say "US competitor" after all. However, that does not preclude the fact that the Vette is among the most efficient sports cars in the entire world.

Quote:
BMW as many others see the US as an addition to it's overall sales, not it's biggest market so they all have to see a much bigger picture.
The US is still the largest market in the world for M cars I believe, not least because of their relative affordability here.

Quote:
I love the American motor industry's way of sticking two finger up at the idea of conforming to world commitment to improving economy and emissions but it will all come to an end soon enough.
I don't think that's a very accurate portrayal of the American auto makers nor the US's attitude toward efficient, clean vehicles. We have stringent standards for such things here just as most of the rest of the modernized world does. Nevertheless I am quite confident that high performance gasonline burning engines will continue to exist for at least another decade while becoming much more efficient and much cleaner in the process.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #26
iAerodynamic
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
boo turboz. N/A for M's!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
MidwestBimmerFan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 1995 E36 M3, 1976 2002

I feel there will be a lot of sad M enthusiast in the near future. Enjoy them while you got em.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #28
ZED4Mjjl
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13 M6 Coupé

Give BMW a chance, M is definitely evolving and big changes are coming, but because fuel economy will be a priority so will low weight, that is actually the cheapest way to make a high performance vehicle economical, look at the Vette, crude as its technology may be and as large and inefficient as its engines may be, there isn't one M car even close to the gas mileage it gets, yet it gives up nothing in peformance to even the most powerful of the M's.
I think BMW will surprise us all. I do think that the M divisions new president is a little flakey but remember that M has always been driven by its engineers.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #29
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Thanks for the link PG.
      09-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #30
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

That article oozes out the same moral:

"Efficient Dynamics" is out to eat the "M". BMW is letting "Efficient Dynamics" prevail and turn M into "marketing" of "Efficient Dynamics".

I do not see much difference between BMW's "Efficient Dynamics" and Toyota's "Hybrid Synergy" program.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #31
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED4Mjjl View Post
Give BMW a chance, M is definitely evolving and big changes are coming, but because fuel economy will be a priority so will low weight, that is actually the cheapest way to make a high performance vehicle economical, look at the Vette, crude as its technology may be and as large and inefficient as its engines may be, there isn't one M car even close to the gas mileage it gets, yet it gives up nothing in peformance to even the most powerful of the M's.
I think BMW will surprise us all. I do think that the M divisions new president is a little flakey but remember that M has always been driven by its engineers.
I agree with your logic....and the car you drive sir

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
M3roar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 e92  [9.34]
1998 BMW M3  [8.50]
I read somewhere once that the next one series will be more of a E30 M3 revision then the current model. And Judging by how much the 1 series sells and how many people like it. I think if the made it with a true e30 styled widebody and such, it would sell like crazy. I know I'd be interested. But the problem with the current 1 series isnt performance for me, its just not pretty or widebodied or anything but a 1 series coupe. Nothing to set it into a icon class car such as an e30 M3 or the M3 CSL. That dude mentioned cars getting lighter and more efficient. Well I think a remake of an e30 M3 with a twin turbo 4 engine would be just the "eco-M-car" they would need.... when things get messy, Start from the beginning. Get slightly smaller and lighter and raw drivers sportscar.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #33
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED4Mjjl View Post
+1. I think they will be able to come up with something that we still appeal to us enthusiasts.

Please, no more "the sky is falling" talk around here.
      09-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #34
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

They are doing a perfect job. They just made me prepare to sell my M5 and move into and X5 ///M for the winter.

They have so far not come close to disappointing...
      09-24-2009, 05:10 PM   #35
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
+1. I think they will be able to come up with something that we still appeal to us enthusiasts.

Please, no more "the sky is falling" talk around here.
Placing your faith in BMW is drinking the marketing Kool Aid

This single interview speaks volumes about where the M division is going, nowhere.

Did a single line anywhere in that interview excite you? No

Did the fact that the M cars were shunned out of the BMW limelight concern you, it should. The BMW 3 series is their bread and butter and if all they can do is sell CO2 emissions and some BS marketing concept car, you better be concerned.

The M division is done. Put a fork in it. Buy an M3 now because the next car will have an M button that will turn on another set of hamsters and that is it.

Seriously this new head guy is a joke. If the US is the prime market for the M cars they could have found a real car enthusiast with some passion and excitement. The next M will be a bigger Mini Pooper S

Like I said a depressing interview. Never read so much marketing bs and not a stitch of excitement or soul. That is what the M Division is supposed to be.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #36
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhn2000 View Post
They are doing a perfect job. They just made me prepare to sell my M5 and move into and X5 ///M for the winter. I have never drop the M5 and absolutely hate driving sedans in the winter so l they have my $$$ now. Its a full package in one and something that I can even use around the city.

They have so far not come close to disappointing...
My M3 sedan is the easiest car I have ever had to drive in the winter.

You need to buy a set of winter tires there bud. Toronto winters....joke
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:17 PM   #37
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
As one poster also said about this interview: if the "M Button" is what makes an M3 ... then why is it optional?
You know how things can get lost in translation....I think the "M Button" being referred to was the badge on the trunk! And those come on all M Models, including SUV/SAV. See, the M as part of the badge that makes an M3 an M3! In fact, put an M on anything and it's an M car. Simple and efficient.

(I'm sticking to my "don't worry/waste time on what is M " philosophy--I'm just taking a sarcastic/humorous approach to it at this point.)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
ChinoOrtega
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: 991 C2S

for a guy who has been a bmw fanboy since the movie License to Drive, I got my first e36 M3 at 17, my next car, at 21 the e46 M3, an at 27 the m3 e92, so yeah, all I've driven are M cars, 2 times at M School in Spartanburg, so yeah, for me the sky is falling, next car gt3
      09-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #39
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoOrtega View Post
for a guy who has been a bmw fanboy since the movie License to Drive, I got my first e36 M3 at 17, my next car, at 21 the e46 M3, an at 27 the m3 e92, so yeah, all I've driven are M cars, 2 times at M School in Spartanburg, so yeah, for me the sky is falling, next car gt3
+1 baby

At least Porsche still has a mad soul to go fast with cars people love

The Cayenne is still on fugly SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #40
dragon1761
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i SGM 08; 328i AW 14

So What is this guy a doctor of????
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #41
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Here I thought I am going to read an article that eases my qualm of the new direction BMW has taken. The niche car builder who built awesome and terrific driver's car is a thing of the past and this interview further solidifies. The new M division head is a marketing guy with no engineering experience or racing background. (Based from the article, correct me if I am wrong) Someone who is excited about the M6 and worrying over brand image from monetizing the M brand for accessories. Well he is marketing after all.

It appears my next vehicle will come from Lotus or Porsche. BMW can stress over efficient dynamics and build car for the masses. I will reconsider when BMW decides to build cars that are 90% sports car and 10% efficient dynamic. Being green is a imperative, the minimum, not something to parade about.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #42
Splinter4784
414 little horsies
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

From what i read in this "interview", you can see its all about selling more cars.

Using vague and adjective laden phrases and not answering questions directly. This guy is an abosolute Joke, Its all about money and Mass Production

M is suppose to be about the joy of driving and the thrill of power, speed, and handling.

They are going to kill the M division slowly, so that some Fat Ass can drive an M car to 10% of its potential, in the sake of selling more cars

Wow, what a kill, Hopefully i am wrong
      09-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #43
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

It was quite obvious when company's slogan changes from Ultimate Driving Machine to Efficient Dynamics. Major change always follows a slogan change. Probably the most single important thing inside and outside of a company.

Quote:
Segler agrees but counters this with “The M button”, which he sees as a key differentiator over BMW’s competitors, with its capability to alter so many of the car’s characteristics – throttle sensitivity, steering weight, suspension damping and traction control thresholds
And the M button being unique? Porsche has the sports chrono package with PASM. Audi RS4 has a similar button as well.

Last edited by Robert; 09-25-2009 at 12:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:53 AM   #44
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1761 View Post
So What is this guy a doctor of????
I believe he's holds PhDs in Marketology, Newspeak, and Efficient Dynamics.
Appreciate 0