F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best BMW speaker upgrade so far (new BimmerTech product)
proTUNING Freaks

06-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #45
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

+1. Funny thing about audio, if you think something should sound better, it will.
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...o-product.html
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44515.50
      06-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #46
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
+1. Funny thing about audio, if you think something should sound better, it will.
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/0...o-product.html
The other thing to take into account is value prop. Is this the best system ever as the title indicates? Big NFW. But Morel at what 5x the cost is it really 5x as good? Also big NFW.

Everyone has to find their sweet spot of cost + effort = results they are happy with. I've got some RM30s by VMPS at home they're not the best speaker, they are really fucking nice though, but upgrading would involve spending 10x as much on speakers (at least) versus what I paid along with upgrading every single thing in my rack. So yeah not the best but not bad enough to spend literally the price of a loaded M2 to upgrade everything.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 09:29 PM   #47
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The RM30s are pretty good speakers, and are priced right where the law of diminishing returns hits hard, as in your bank account may get seriously diminished while you get nothing in return for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:27 AM   #48
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The RM30s are pretty good speakers, and are priced right where the law of diminishing returns hits hard, as in your bank account may get seriously diminished while you get nothing in return for it.
Yeah they're right at the edge of where things start to get silly. I also have RM2s biwired as rears and subs. I tried to get dad Elixirs but mom figured out they were massive and vetoed.

Back on topic I'd really love someone (maybe Roundel magazine?) do a real comparison test on all the options.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:23 AM   #49
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I don't recall the company involved, but there was an offer made a while back for 'beta testers' for some new speakers. I checked into it, and it turned out to be a sales pitch for the speakers at a discounted price, in return for a favorable review. No favorable review, no discount. Ignoring the sour taste that left in my mouth, I offered to do a real review, taking a full set of measurements of the stock system and the replacements. It wouldn't be my first review by any means, I did many when I was a contributing editor for Speaker Builder magazine. I am by profession a loudspeaker designer, so I have all the necessary gear and experience. My counter offer went unanswered.

Last edited by Billfitz; 06-05-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:51 AM   #50
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't recall the company involved, but there was an offer made a while back for 'beta testers' for some new speakers. I checked into it, and it turned out to be a sales pitch for the speakers at a discounted price, in return for a favorable review. No favorable review, no discount. Ignoring the sour taste that left in my mouth, I offered to do a real review, taking a full set of measurements of the stock system and the replacements. It wouldn't be my first review by any means, I did many when I was a contributing editor for [i]Speaker Builder[/] magazine. I am by profession a loudspeaker designer, so I have all the necessary gear and experience. My counter offer went unanswered.
Yeah Bavsound used to offer $50 off for any review, good or bad. You know as well as I do but to do all the permutations (combinations? I forget) to test everything against everything else is a lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #51
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
There's also an inherent tradeoff when going Bavsound and I assume Bimmertech as well. You pay a bit more for ease of install plug and play. You could def do more for less, but you've gotta modify things, use spacers, get wiring adapters, etc. it's like Apple you give them some more $ vs DIY kit but the shit just works and it's easy.
I was told 90 days...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #52
MarkInPDX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhennessey3 View Post
I have the gear just not the new glory speakers. I have been lurking here for a few weeks and want to retrofit my 2013 328xi to the nb5/6 head unit. I have been scouring the web trying to find the correct head unit serial numbers / parts numbers . any change someone would know where to find that ?? i know that i could pull that head unit out of a 2017 3,4,5,6,7 series .... but when i pull them at salvage i get different head units some nb4 even... or so it seems they dont all have the blue connector... im in the wrong thread for this question.

At any rate. i would be interested in hooking up my oscilloscope and microphone to get a readout on the frequency response once i get the head unit and new speakers in my car . Ill look forward to your video !!
Have you talked to the folks at https://www.codemybimmer.ca ? They have an ID5/6 retrofit. Not sure if it'll work with your older model, but I know they make them (mine's being delivered on Monday )
      06-20-2018, 02:55 PM   #53
BMalone
Rep
Drives: 428i Grand Coupe

Received my BimmerTech Speakers and will be installing tonight. I did install the BimmerTech amp and was initially disappointed until I hooked it up and installed a tune.

I have the HiFi system and with the tuned amp - the sound quality was dramatically improved. Can't wait to see how it sounds with the new speakders
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #54
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
I installed my Bimmertech amp last week.....Love the sound now!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #55
rbnice1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

So I am no audiophile in any way, but the sound was horrid in my new to me 330 so I ordered the whole alpha system. I installed it in 3 stages partly to see what each piece was going to do and party because it was hot as crap out.

So after installing the amp the sound improvement was dramatic. Even the wife said it sounded much better.

I then installed both under-seat woofers. This gave me more bass but the sound was not good. The bass was to low as low volume and to much at high volume. It actually hurt your ears. The bass was super crisp and tight tho.

Then I finally got some time and installed the center speaker and all door speakers.. That helped a lot with the unbalanced woofers. I am guessing the amp was tuned with the new speakers in mind.

Overall I am very happy with the sound quality. It is much much richer tones and the sound is better. Again even the wife noticed it right away. I will say I am still going to be adding a sub to the setup I had one in my old car and I miss the bass it provides. I also have not messed with the tune on the amp at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:26 AM   #56
Oa-Burken
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92 2008

Quick review of the BMW BimmerTech speakers and amp

The installation of the A_One speakers and amplifier was quite easy. A lot of panels had to be removed though, but your installation video was very helpful. I disconnected the OEM rear seat tweeters as they are, in my opinion, "noisy".

The upgraded sound is more open/transparent/dynamic and has less distortion. The base goes deeper, is much more distinct, dynamic and clear. I experience the midrange frequency area to be a bit dominant, but I know I can change that in the amplifier/DSP.

Nice exclusive packaging.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #57
bimmer-phil
Rep
Drives: 2014 Bimmer

Bimmertech Amp Upgrade

Newbie here: Just wanted to second BMalone's praise for the Bimmertech Amp upgrade. I was reluctant to pay this much for an amp when I could have gotten similar if not better output numbers for less with other models. What convinced me was the plug-and-play functionality and Bimmertech's customizable DSP profiles. Turns out that I didn't even bother to customize as the sound, right out the box, was worlds better than with BMW's puny 360w amp. But I do wonder whether, once my budget recovers, I should look into speaker upgrades. So this thread is great!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #58
vwagen
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive M-Sport

My experience.

I just took the dive on the Alpha One along with the amp, so I figured I'd post my experience. I have a 2015 328i that I bought new, and I did NOT purchase it with the Harmon Kardon sound system. I likely would have knowing my frusration with the sound. It always bugged me that the stereo sound was not up to par for a car of this quality. The complete speaker and amp replacement was a long time coming and I am amazed by the difference.

It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for, fortunately I timed it with a holiday sale. Also, I paid for install, I'm done messing with the PITA small plastic clips and cardboard panels. I watched the videos, it doesn't look hard, but I didn't want to deal with expected install frustrations.

I feel like my car was completely missing deep base, and now I'm happy. The treble is so crisp it's unbelievable. My only concern is that my streaming music apps are far more sensitive to equalizer settings, so I have to be careful with how I fine tune the sound.

I'd say I'm happy customer and I'm now playing my 'Stereo Tester' playlist on Spotify that I'd built up over a year waiting for this install.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #59
bsbllfit7
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Is there any reviews that compare the alpha one to the bavsound setup? I am going to pull the trigger on one of these setups but would like to understand the pros and cons of each.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:23 PM   #60
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbllfit7 View Post
Is there any reviews that compare the alpha one to the bavsound setup? I am going to pull the trigger on one of these setups but would like to understand the pros and cons of each.
I have installed both systems.. Bavsound in an E46, E53 and E90 and the A1 into my F32, coming from factory hifi. While I cant compare bavsound in my F32 since it wasn't there I feel I can be fair across the board. They are both great products, but I prefer the A1. The improvements in the F32 were dramatic and hold up when compared to the X5 (bavsound) that has quite a few more speakers.

I feel Bimmertech really deeply invested with these speakers even on things like the boxes and design to ensure not just safe shipping but amazing presentation.

I would vote go with the Alpha Ones and my technical review jives exactly with the detailed report at the start of this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #61
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I have installed both systems.. Bavsound in an E46, E53 and E90 and the A1 into my F32, coming from factory hifi. While I cant compare bavsound in my F32 since it wasn't there I feel I can be fair across the board. They are both great products, but I prefer the A1. The improvements in the F32 were dramatic and hold up when compared to the X5 (bavsound) that has quite a few more speakers.

I feel Bimmertech really deeply invested with these speakers even on things like the boxes and design to ensure not just safe shipping but amazing presentation.

I would vote go with the Alpha Ones and my technical review jives exactly with the detailed report at the start of this thread.
I am no Audiophile! And I have never spent money to upgrade my cars audio system! And I spent nearly 2300 to put the Bimmertech system in my BMW Love it!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 04:20 AM   #62
BMalone
Rep
Drives: 428i Grand Coupe

As an update- I wanted to give a shout out to Bimmertech for their customer service. I was getting a crackling from the center speaker and after diagnosing it with BimmerTech, they are sending me a new one- no questions asked!

These guys are awesome!
Appreciate 0