F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > More F30 328's than 335's...
Extreme Powerhouse
Closed Thread

10-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #89
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
I would rather drive a $50K 6 cylinder is made in a third world country instead of a 4 banger.
OK, this one made me laugh.

I personally don't think it really matters WHERE it's built, but rather WHO is overseeing the operation. It's not like they're subcontracting the build out to a 3rd party. It's still BMW building the cars. Only the folks holding the screw drivers and pounding the plastic clips in are different.

I really think the only issue is the lengthier trip to North America.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #90
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I tested a 328i and ordered a 335i without ever actually driving one. My daily driver is a beast with north of 500 RWHP, so ANYTHING I climb into is going to feel slow. I simply went straight to the 335i because there's a lot than can be done to the N55 to take it to the next level.

I imagine that, in time, there will be a multitude of tuners offering solutions for the N20 that will bump it up to stock N55 numbers. That's one of the beautiful things about forced induction. I simply opted to start at a higher point to potentially end up at an even higher point if I follow the same path I have in the past with all of my cars.

And I'm a sucker for displacement. Torque is addictive. Too much is never enough.
All that is true and I can relate. Only thing you said is that, "I imagine that, in time, there will be a multitude of tuners offering solutions for the N20 that will bump it up to stock N55 numbers." That time is already here. There are already 3-5 tuners to choose from. BMS had the stage 1 net N55 numbers about 6 months ago, they were first.

Quote:
And, to be honest, better overall efficiency to boot. Definitely a win win all the way around.

That's part of the appeal to me.

My other car is sitting at about 500hp at the crank right now. It impresses me when I average 20mpg.

I am confident the N20 will net me 285-300whp and still average 30mpg.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #91
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4MC

^Still a 4 cylinder
      10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #92
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
+1 If they won't sell you a 335i for ED, find a different dealer. Non M cars do not come out of dealer allocations. They can do as many 335i ED orders as they want.

I seem to recall hearing that BMW did in fact put a moratorium on ED orders outside of dealer allocation recently. I have a feeling that they're having a tough time getting plant capacity ramped up to meet demand. Since ED doesn't come from allocations, it's difficult to predict demand and schedule production. By forcing dealers to use their allocations they can better control demand and strike the balance they need between the various models at the plant.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #93
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^Still a 4 cylinder
Grow up

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #94
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Grow up
+1
      10-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #95
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
All that is true and I can relate. Only thing you said is that, "I imagine that, in time, there will be a multitude of tuners offering solutions for the N20 that will bump it up to stock N55 numbers." That time is already here. There are already 3-5 tuners to choose from. BMS had the stage 1 net N55 numbers about 6 months ago, they were first.

That's part of the appeal to me.

My other car is sitting at about 500hp at the crank right now. It impresses me when I average 20mpg.

I am confident the N20 will net me 285-300whp and still average 30mpg.

I haven't been following N20 aftermarket developments so I didn't realize how much progress the vendors have made.

I'm getting a bit below 20mpg in my current car. Dependent of course on my restraint and drive cycle. Once I get around to installing my 6 speed box I expect I'll be able to reach the mid-20s. But I suppose it's obvious fuel economy isn't a top priority when you're running around in a blown V8.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #96
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't been following N20 aftermarket developments so I didn't realize how much progress the vendors have made.

I'm getting a bit below 20mpg in my current car. Dependent of course on my restraint and drive cycle. Once I get around to installing my 6 speed box I expect I'll be able to reach the mid-20s. But I suppose it's obvious fuel economy isn't a top priority when you're running around in a blown V8.
Tell me more, is this a Mustang, 3rd Gen Camaro?

I have 100more hp in there before I have to look at creative things like internals. I think 460+whp will be a bit retarded in a car a bit larger than a Miata. On a Mustang Dyno on the base tune after install I did 380whp at 13psi with a maf issue. So even in it's crappy state I am 400+ on a Dynojet. Fix the maf, bigger injectors, upgrade the head gasket, re-orient the bypass valve(worth a psi), upgrade the center exhaust and cats, 16psi...I should be there.

YAY for taking this even more off topic :P

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #97
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

Jou wens is toegestaan.

BJ
Why do you speak Dutch?

"Jou" should be "jouw"but also many dutchmen make that mistake sometimes

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #98
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tell me more, is this a Mustang, 3rd Gen Camaro?

I have 100more hp in there before I have to look at creative things like internals. I think 460+whp will be a bit retarded in a car a bit larger than a Miata. On a Mustang Dyno on the base tune after install I did 380whp at 13psi with a maf issue. So even in it's crappy state I am 400+ on a Dynojet. Fix the maf, bigger injectors, upgrade the head gasket, re-orient the bypass valve(worth a psi), upgrade the center exhaust and cats, 16psi...I should be there.

YAY for taking this even more off topic :P

I'm all about tangents! I agree, there's a limit to what you should logically run in a given chassis. I assume you're referring to the Roadster in your sig. Power that you can't use isn't very useful.

I'm about at the useful limit in my car at 15 pounds. I'm running a twin screw so it's very easy to manage the power on the street. Hell, if I'm just putting around I don't even get into the boost. The motor has plenty of torque on its own. But it's always nice to know what's there waiting for me.

I didn't really spend a lot of time on it when I tuned it. I mainly wanted to make sure the pistons didn't ooze out of the tail pipes. I installed a dual fuel pump, big injectors and a larger MAF to make sure it has plenty of fuel when it needs it. I already had long tube headers, full exhaust and high flow "cats". After the blower was installed the cats might as well be actual feline cats. They'd be just as effective.

And, your first guess was correct

Apologies for taking the thread even further off topic!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #99
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm all about tangents! I agree, there's a limit to what you should logically run in a given chassis. I assume you're referring to the Roadster in your sig. Power that you can't use isn't very useful.

I'm about at the useful limit in my car at 15 pounds. I'm running a twin screw so it's very easy to manage the power on the street. Hell, if I'm just putting around I don't even get into the boost. The motor has plenty of torque on its own. But it's always nice to know what's there waiting for me.

I didn't really spend a lot of time on it when I tuned it. I mainly wanted to make sure the pistons didn't ooze out of the tail pipes. I installed a dual fuel pump, big injectors and a larger MAF to make sure it has plenty of fuel when it needs it. I already had long tube headers, full exhaust and high flow "cats". After the blower was installed the cats might as well be actual feline cats. They'd be just as effective.

And, your first guess was correct

Apologies for taking the thread even further off topic!
Yes, the Roadster in my sig.

I figured it was a Mustang as you said 6spd swap, remembering only the very recent '11+ feature 6mts.

I drove a co-workers '07 GT 5mt only a couple of months ago. Long hood, big car, I was imagining what a couple hundred more hp would do to transform it into something quite fun. Two spots over another friend has a Bullit and we have an SS Camaro. Lot's of car guys at work.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #100
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
^Still a 4 cylinder

Still a South African.

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #101
Sharp_Cai
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post

Still a South African.

BJ
Not mind at all~~ Enjoy ur 4 banger~~

Last edited by Sharp_Cai; 10-19-2012 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #102
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the Roadster in my sig.

I figured it was a Mustang as you said 6spd swap, remembering only the very recent '11+ feature 6mts.

I drove a co-workers '07 GT 5mt only a couple of months ago. Long hood, big car, I was imagining what a couple hundred more hp would do to transform it into something quite fun. Two spots over another friend has a Bullit and we have an SS Camaro. Lot's of car guys at work.
i ordered my Mustang with intentions of doing a fair number of upgrades early on. The dealer botched the order so they had to re-order. That gave me enough time to collect everything I wanted to upgrade before the second car arrived. I drove home from the dealer Thursday night, pulled in the garage and went to town. By Sunday evening I had a big pile of parts and lots of empty boxes.

I had a '95 Z/28 myself. Over time it became more of a track car than a street car. I really loved that car. Interestingly, it was actually that Z/28 that got me into BMWs. With two of us driving the car hard (my wife and I are both HPDE instructors) I was wearing out or breaking parts every weekend. The last straw was following a 3-day event at Summit Point which consumed 6 tires, 2 sets of Hawk Blue front pads, a set of Hawk Black rear pads, both front hubs and an axle bearing. THAT was an expensive weekend. I had a decent suspension and ZR1 brakes so it handled and stopped great. But it was so heavy that the components I couldn't upgrade just couldn't take it. Did you know the front hubs are actually rear hubs from a Pontiac Bonneville? It's funny the things you learn as you go.

My current track car, an E28 535is, was sitting on the front lawn of the house across from my office. I did a little investigation to see what these little BMWs were all about...and the rest is history. I think my new F30 will be my 12th BMW in 12 years.

I'm glad to see there are other guys on here with an eclectic mix of cars like me!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #103
boltjames
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Luxury

Quote:
Not mind at all~~ Enjoy ur 4 banger~~
"The 328i is better than the 335i.

We are not the only ones claiming that the entry-level BMW 3 Series, fitted with a clamorous lightweight turbocharged four-cylinder engine, is more agile and tossable than its turbocharged six-cylinder sibling – it appears to many that the segment leader has been displaced by its weaker brother.

The 328i is objectively superior to the 335i because it is significantly less expensive, more fuel efficient, better balanced, lighter and nearly as quick (BMW says the 335i 6MT will do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds while the 328i 6MT does it in 5.7 seconds). In an un-biased and non-emotional decree, most everyone should choose the four-cylinder 328i over the six-cylinder 335i
."

Emission's Autoblog Review
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/2...w-335i-review/

BJ
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #104
Jackson743
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport/EBII/ED 12/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
+1 If they won't sell you a 335i for ED, find a different dealer. Non M cars do not come out of dealer allocations. They can do as many 335i ED orders as they want.
Actually, it's true. I confirmed it. It's a temporary slowdown. I didn't say I'm not getting my 335i for ED, but my dealer is eating one of their allocated cars for my ED. We just have to wait for a new allocation so I can get a number. It's pretty stand up on their part considering the price I'm getting vs. what they could sell it for here.

Well know for sure in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #105
ocso1606
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M

Garage List
2007 BMW 525xi  [0.00]
2010 Volvo  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i M-Sport  [0.00]
335 all day, not sure i would spend that amount on a 4cyl. Yet i admit, never test drove a 328.
      10-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #106
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm glad to see there are other guys on here with an eclectic mix of cars like me!
I have owned and appreciate it all-no badge snob here. I even modified my first car, a lowly Beretta GT into something that handled well and had some magazine exposure and won money drag racing it.

I always have a thing for cars that are kind of seen as underdogs.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #107
azzurro
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
335 all day, not sure i would spend that amount on a 4cyl. Yet i admit, never test drove a 328.
Same for me. It seems a few 328i owners are trying to justify their purchase with articles about how great the 328i is. I am sure it's a great car and I am not going to go around saying a 335i is a better car. If somebody likes the car they bought fine. But to go around after the buy and say this car is better than that car is just childish. Sorry. Just enjoy what you bought and quit trying to one up people who bought something different.

On another note. SA vs. Germany. I would be lying if I said I'd rather have a SA build. That being said, if BMW is putting their name on it then that's good enough for me. To try to denegrate the cars made in SA is just asinine, especially when the people saying this have ZERO experience or facts about German builds being better when they have no freaken idea or evidence of this. It's just ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #108
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurro View Post
Same for me. It seems a few 328i owners are trying to justify their purchase with articles about how great the 328i is. I am sure it's a great car and I am not going to go around saying a 335i is a better car. If somebody likes the car they bought fine. But to go around after the buy and say this car is better than that car is just childish. Sorry. Just enjoy what you bought and quit trying to one up people who bought something different.

On another note. SA vs. Germany. I would be lying if I said I'd rather have a SA build. That being said, if BMW is putting their name on it then that's good enough for me. To try to denegrate the cars made in SA is just asinine, especially when the people saying this have ZERO experience or facts about German builds being better when they have no freaken idea or evidence of this. It's just ignorant.
In total:
Well said. +1.

And the SA vs Germany thing is super super ignorant to say the least!

What I read from E90Fleet(from SA) and many members overhere from SA, the total quality of the SA BMW plants is even better than the already superb quality of the German BMW plants....

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #109
MacBlack335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocso1606 View Post
I did drive the 328, and actually before the 335.... I would agree with most, you have no idea it's a 4 banger... Around town and short bursts, it felt great.
But in the back of my mind was knowing it's a 4 cyl and when the time is called for some serious HP the 335 was going to deliver. The 335 has earned the respect of being called a high performance machine. It's not a M, but it's in the same neighborhood with a few mods.

I personally think it’s great more 28's are in the game of getting serious about performance and handling. It will get more vendors making parts which in most cases will apply to both cars.

I think the F30 has changed the dynamics of 328 to 335. I have taken some crap for driving a 3 series, which some call a "girl's car", to a better understanding of what these cars are all about.
I had to justify my E90 3 series to some called “friends and enthusiast” by saying it's a 335, it’s not a 328….
Then 1 day later I see a 76 year old grandmother driving a Sport Model 335 in the CVS parking lot! And I just smile.

I went with the 335 because I wanted to know if I needed it, I had it... And maybe in the back of my mind I was dealing with the old E9X 328 vs. 335 stigma.

Most HP cars on the road don't speed from stop light to stop light. They cruise with the attitude, "You know I got it if needed"...

That what I like and why I went with the 335...
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #110
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7

I was all set for my 328 MSport. Had already talked to the dealer about it. Then I did the drive for Team USA and drove them back to back. 328 is plenty of car for 99% of people, myself included, but that test drive made me go big. It's the first time I went with the bigger engine in a car, and I didn't regret it on my Nordschleife laps, Autobahn runs, or Grossglockner corners. It's overkill, but fun.

Even though mine is a Munich build, the SA built cars are just as good, if not better, in build quality ratings. At least according to the founder of Bimmerfest, whom I trust.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread