F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone experienced this Problem - Black soot from 328i exhaust?
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
wvoz
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexg View Post
same issue with mine. was told it was normal. took it out with goof off and waxed it back up. i clean it up every time i wash the car. the build up is not that much if you take it out every few hundred miles or so. i'm having an issue polishing up my tailpipes though.
Thanks for your feedback. Cleaning the soot off is not much of a problem as it comes off easily when washing the car. I just don't like the visual impact this problem has on the rear of the car and was looking for a solution to completely eliminate it. Very strange that is happening and is first time on any of the previous 5 BMW our family has owned. With polishing your tailpipes I have used wax products on the chrome finish when the exhaust pipes are cool and found that this cleans them very easily and effortlessly.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #24
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Dealership told me yesterday that it's something that I'll have to live with and has to do with the short-tailpipes that were mentioned previously.

Some weeks seem worse than others. I usually carry a cloth around in the boot so I just wipe it off now if I notice it.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #25
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Had the car for three weeks now, finished break-in today at 1250 miles (2000 km) abd havent experienced any soot. But, its not until now I will start the eco-driving on my daily commute, cruising at a steady pace. If I experience any changes I'll let you know.

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

It's all over the back of our shop car, with 2000 miles on it. We do use eco mode most of the time, and it is almost exclusively used in city driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Dealership told me yesterday that it's something that I'll have to live with and has to do with the short-tailpipes that were mentioned previously.
Ummmm. NO!. They make stupid comments like that when they do not know the cause. Mine is soot free, so should everyone else's.

Or are the soot producing cars normal and mine not?

Tell them their excuse is an excuse for ignorance and to seek a solution pronto.

Cause & Effect.
Cheers
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
I know you haven't had your car for too long and might be "breaking in" still, and not getting on the throttle as much as other people.

Let me know what the story is with your car in a month.

Also, walking into my dealer and telling them "their excuse is an excuse for ignorance" isn't something I expect will suddenly make them want to go out of their way to help me.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and the issue (which has decreased markedly) and given it's very easy to wipe any soot deposits off, I'll bring it up from time to time if it doesn't go away in it's own right.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:00 AM   #29
wvoz
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I feel that this problem is more like a characteristic of the engine / exhaust system which should be unacceptable for such a prestige motor vehicle and purchase price. I wonder if anyone is experiencing this problem with an after market exhaust system and / or having the auto start stop permanently deactivated. I have today re waxed the car with the hope that the soot will "not stick" to paint work.

I will keep you posted
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
Magellan
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I have the same issue with my 328. I figured water vapor condensed on the cold exhaust pipes, picked up residue and eventually was blown out the back.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I'd say it is simply caused by a wet exhaust. Are you guys doing lots of shortish trips? Exhaust systems not completely drying out.

I've noted on my 535i that the exhaust shows more black soot that what I was used to seeing, when I had my last BMW petrol engine. In fact more soot at the exhaust tip than my BMW diesel with DPF fitted. Plus there is lots more condensation from this engine than expected, and for a longer period on warm up.

I've read that the 'sooting' in the exhaust tips is a trait of the DI engines. If it is and we have condensation, it will blow it out, where it sticks will depend to a degree on the speed it comes out and how wet.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #32
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd say it is simply caused by a wet exhaust. Are you guys doing lots of shortish trips? Exhaust systems not completely drying out.

I've noted on my 535i that the exhaust shows more black soot that what I was used to seeing, when I had my last BMW petrol engine. In fact more soot at the exhaust tip than my BMW diesel with DPF fitted. Plus there is lots more condensation from this engine than expected, and for a longer period on warm up.

I've read that the 'sooting' in the exhaust tips is a trait of the DI engines. If it is and we have condensation, it will blow it out, where it sticks will depend to a degree on the speed it comes out and how wet.

HighlandPete
Interesting stuff, and good point about the short trips too, Pete.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
lukster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: like a granny

My dealer has probably over 30 loaners with n20 engines. I checked and all the tailpipes are black with soot so I am not too concerned. Just annoyed that I have to clean my tailpipe every couple of weeks. Not really the end of the world for me. I am planning to paint or plasti-dip my diffuser black so it wont be as obvious. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #34
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
It's really not that much of a big deal IMO. I have Opti-coat on my car and the stuff wipes clean off with no problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

HighlandPete
This is what I adressed in my post on page 1, it's why I always make sure the engine reachesworking temp before I shut it so Ive had a chance to rev it out a lil to clear the pipes (both, theleft one has the damn valve)

| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #36
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexg View Post
My dealer has probably over 30 loaners with n20 engines. I checked and all the tailpipes are black with soot so I am not too concerned. Just annoyed that I have to clean my tailpipe every couple of weeks. Not really the end of the world for me. I am planning to paint or plasti-dip my diffuser black so it wont be as obvious. Haha.
Yeah you probably see it on all those cars cause theyre driven by ignorant people notnunderstanding that short trips and constant ecco driving is NOT good for the car.

Drive 'em til they're hot people!!

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
wvoz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
This is what I adressed in my post on page 1, it's why I always make sure the engine reachesworking temp before I shut it so Ive had a chance to rev it out a lil to clear the pipes (both, theleft one has the damn valve)
Upon starting the car and with the ASS deactivated and in comfort mode, I do not switch the car off until it has reached its correct temperature and has been driven for at least a minimum of 15 minutes. Once I notice that the engine has reached its correct temperature, I switch to sport mode and accelerate quickly to clean out the exhaust system thus sometimes noticing a cloud of haze / smoke in the rear view mirror. Has anyone else noticed this cloud of haze in the rear view mirror under heavy acceleration? I drive the car every day and usually do not make short trips. My concern is not that the tail pipes only are dirty with soot but that the soot is clearly visible on the paintwork. Do other people experiencing the same problem see the soot on their paint work? Can you post photos?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #38
francis_william
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i sport

LOL I got that as well.... just found out yesterday when I wash my car...just nothing serious I think??
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #39
Sephanite
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

its normal. Our STi does it. Our Golf GTi does it. We dont care
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #40
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvoz View Post
I do not switch the car off until it has reached its correct temperature and has been driven for at least a minimum of 15 minutes. Once I notice that the engine has reached its correct temperature, I switch to sport mode and accelerate quickly to clean out the exhaust system thus sometimes noticing a cloud of haze / smoke in the rear view mirror. Has anyone else noticed this cloud of haze in the rear view mirror under heavy acceleration?
The problem as I see it, even when the engine is hot the exhaust system may not be fully dry anyway. It will depend to a degree on how hard the engine has worked during its running time as well.

I've driven my car 13 miles, and the exhaust is still virtually cold at the rear of the car, so not heated enough to dry and get rid of all the potential condensation that has accumulated inside.

So a blast will still tend to blow out residue, even after that sort of mileage. Factor in ambient temperature variations, humidity levels and driving mix and there isn't one simple answer. I've noted that on a cold day, (around 5C) with a bit of humidity... even after 26 miles I've noted there is still moisture in the tail pipes, idle a bit and it will show condensation.

For me I don't fuss about it, just drive as normal... but with Sophisto Grey it doesn't show, even if it does dump a bit of soot on the car.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #41
texasgirl321
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

2012 328i Exhaust

I started leasing a 2012 328i in November of last year and have had black soot splatters all over the back of my car. Tail pipes are black immediately after I clean them. I also had to getthe computer replaced in it after arguing with the dealer for almost two months. I am so disappointed in this car. Had a 2007 Z4 Convertible prior to that I lost in a house fire and NEVER experienced what I have with this one. HAS ANYONE been successful with having this issue fixed?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #42
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I know you haven't had your car for too long and might be "breaking in" still, and not getting on the throttle as much as other people.

Let me know what the story is with your car in a month.
Ok, so it's been over 3 months. I have 4.5k kms on the clock without any soot.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #43
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Ok, so it's been over 3 months. I have 4.5k kms on the clock without any soot.
Mine's gone away. Wonder what the M Performance exhaust will do
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 04:33 AM   #44
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mine's gone away. Wonder what the M Performance exhaust will do
Glad to learn that. Could have been rich burn whilst the engine was new and bedding in.

Performance exhaust will give the car a 'meaner' sounding exhaust note. Pretty much that's all. Some claim a few wkw but nothing anyone will feel. At this time it's not for me. What about yourself?
Appreciate 0