F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Advise on Starting a Workout plan
Extreme Powerhouse

03-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
xxclusive
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Post Advise on Starting a Workout plan

Hey guys,

So I'm starting to workout again and trying not to lose focus and end up not going to the gym like I have in the past. I just want to get some advise on a good workout plan.

My main goal is to gain weight and build muscle. I'm a skinny guy and would like to put on some more weight...I do eat a lot but have trouble gaining weight.

Today was my first day hitting the gym. I plan on going 3 days a week just get the hang of working out again. I did a 30 minute session and focused on only arms and back exercises and did 5 minutes at the end on an inclined treadmill just for a little cardio.

I know I will be sore in the morning so any tips on preventing the soreness or reducing?

Also any advice on what I should be my workout routine and do you guys think 30 min session is to short for what my goal is?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Redcapote
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

How old are you? (serious question, not a slight or sarcasm in any way)

It takes hard, painful work to gain muscle mass. You may think you're eating a lot, but you're probably not. And you may think you're training hard, but you're definitely not.

My advise, to keep it very short and sweet? Full-body routines of 50 to 65 minutes, manage your testosterone levels, and get plenty of animal protein and water. Eat and train with serious intensity.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
xxclusive
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote
How old are you? (serious question, not a slight or sarcasm in any way)

It takes hard, painful work to gain muscle mass. You may think you're eating a lot, but you're probably not. And you may think you're training hard, but you're definitely not.

My advise, to keep it very short and sweet? Full-body routines of 50 to 65 minutes, manage your testosterone levels, and get plenty of animal protein and water. Eat and train with serious intensity.
I'm 22.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclusive View Post
I know I will be sore in the morning so any tips on preventing the soreness or reducing?
Sore is good, get a good PT, make them work you until you puke.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

One/two muscles group per day, it'll let your muscles recover and build while you work on a new set. Also drink protein and take fish oil (omega-3) if you want to reduce soreness. My 4-day routine is:

Chest
Triceps and legs
Shoulders
Back and biceps
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Redcapote
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzle View Post
One/two muscles group per day, it'll let your muscles recover and build while you work on a new set.
The benefit of doing full routine as opposed to split routine as this member suggested, is that full-routine workouts prompt a greater testosterone response. The hormone is all-important in gaining muscle mass.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Cromartie84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 6mt 335

First day back in the gym in a year today. Two months off my double hernia surgery..felt great! Starting over though
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Anabolic Steroids will reduce the pain and decrease your recovery time...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM

Last edited by Caddyshk; 03-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: why not?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
gun6slinger9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Anabolic Steroids will reduce the pain and decrease your recovery time...

Stretch it out after your workout and stretch before bed, this will reduce soreness. Eventually the soreness feeling feels good as it shows that you're working hard.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #10
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
xxclusive
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the advise guys. Will definitely take your tips into consideration.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
Redcapote
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ice baths. Plunging in 55 degree water.

This morning myself and three other fitness junky friends went to the local college football stadium and ran up and down the bleachers, the corkscrew ramps, did kettlebell routines in teams of two competing for time, and otherwise killed ourselves until we were ready to puke. When we work out, we draw attention. Afterwards, 15 minutes in a 55 degree fahrenheit cold plunge, and I felt like I wanted to go out and do some more. I'm 30 years old.

Also, ice baths pull double duty and help you eliminate fat. As will swimming in cool water (between 70-80 degrees F).

Stretching will prevent injury more than prevent soreness or reduce recovery time. Not that it isn't important, you do NOT want to get injured and lose your steam. Rolling out your muscles on foam rollers will help get the lactic acid out of your body, as will massages.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
tshoww
oG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Alpine White 335i e90

I try to go 3 or 4 times a week, im 6'3 195lbs at the moment

day 1- triceps and chest
day 2- biceps and back
day 3 cardio
day 4 legs
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Advice.
      03-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #15
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

How strong are you right now? Depending on how strong you are, I would go with one of two plans.
First one is strong lifts 5x5. This is beyond great for beginner weight lifters looking to gain mass and strength. The second is Wendler 5/3/1, which I'm currently doing. This is more of an intermediate plan. There is A LOT of information about these two programs online, too much to actually even post here
And to gain mass you'll need a lot of protein and dedication
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Lift heavy, Take a multi Vitamin and get 8 hours of sleep a night. Report back in threee months.

You can toss in Pull ups and dips a few times a week. Maybe some Cardio for heart Health.

Don't over complicate things. Get in the gym and work. You should be exhausted and a sweaty mess from just lifting. Anything less and your not working hard enough.
      03-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #17
BoostAddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 335i

Find a solid routine like the strong lifts 5x5 mentioned above, and eat. Most of the people complaining they can't gain and they eat enough most of time don't enough. If you want to be say 200lbs, eat like you are 200lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
xxclusive
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimZ View Post
How strong are you right now? Depending on how strong you are, I would go with one of two plans.
First one is strong lifts 5x5. This is beyond great for beginner weight lifters looking to gain mass and strength. The second is Wendler 5/3/1, which I'm currently doing. This is more of an intermediate plan. There is A LOT of information about these two programs online, too much to actually even post here
And to gain mass you'll need a lot of protein and dedication
Thanks! SL 5x5 seems like an interesting program from what I've read so far Might give it a go.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Thanks! SL 5x5 seems like an interesting program from what I've read so far Might give it a go.
Make sure to download the excel spread sheet that can be found on their site. its really helpful for tracking, logging, and predicting where you will be at in the future. Theres also a cool iPhone app for that routine if you search the iTunes store, free too i think
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #20
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

To be honest

all it takes is consistency with pushing yourself. Anytime you feel like a weight is getting easier to lift, start upping the weight. (if you're going for muscle).

Always Always ALWAYS work until failure. i.e. don't do baby weight cuz its easy. Try higher weights, even if you can only do a few.

I personally do 12 reps of a warm up weight, 10 reps of a slightly difficult weight, and 8 reps of a difficult weight for any excercise I'm doing. As each weight gets easier, I up the weight using the same reps.

You don't HAVE to eat ridiculously, but like I said consistently challenge yourself. Without any expectation of quick results, it really shouldn't take more than 1 year of consistent training to get significantly larger. I personally believe in building muscle naturally, not using supplements or protein shakes, but instead using appropriate dietary change. Ex: more protein than usual, lots of fruits and vegetables, and careful on carb intake. Yeah you want the energy, but don't overdo it (or underdo it). Diversify your diet, don't just eat the same thing every day. If you do opt for protein shakes, don't replace a meal with them. Over a matter of time you can have kidney failure by not getting the nutrients you're removing in meals by only having protein shakes.

I consider being able to lift an additional 5-10 lbs per month on said excercises is very good progress, but maybe that's just me.

^Not professional advice, just what I learned from football in High School. I'm 6'0" 198 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #21
hetzle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcapote View Post
The benefit of doing full routine as opposed to split routine as this member suggested, is that full-routine workouts prompt a greater testosterone response. The hormone is all-important in gaining muscle mass.
Right, but from my understanding if you don't leave them any time to recover and grow larger, you end up wasting a bit of your workout that way since you keep re-tearing your shit before it can fully heal (assuming you go multiple days in a row)

Another method to release a lot of testosterone is to do legs more often. Also stop jacking off so much (inb4 IMPOSSIBRU)
2011 335i sedan 6MT, 515whp/530wtq. Pure Turbo Stage 2, Motiv SST TwinDisk Clutch/FW, Motiv Flash, AA 4" DP, ER FMIC, AA turbo-back exhaust, Quaife LSD, ST Coilovers, BMS Intake, UUC DSSR+SSK, ER CP, BMS CDV, BMS OCC, Arkym CF trunk

Last edited by hetzle; 03-09-2012 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #22
135IS
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 LMB 135I / AW 1M

Garage List
2009 135i  [7.00]
AW 1M: Current #211 of 220
Appreciate 0