F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Advice Please BMW Xenon
GetBMWParts

03-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
JamieP1896
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-series M-Sport

Talking Advice Please BMW Xenon

Hi guys

first time here, have always owned Audi's but recently went over to the dark side and purchased my first BMW. Must say that im extremely happy with the decision so far and am enjoying my new car.

Anyway the spec i got for my car was great except for Xenon lighting.
The car is a 320D M sport with Pro Nav Package and m sport plus gear box with paddle shift. the only thing that annoys me except for the Xenon's is the BMW 320 only has one exhaust. Whats up with that??, IMO would look better with 2.

So im contemplating a xenon retrofit, and am aware of the cost etc, and coding requirements. My question is that after reading UK MOT laws, it states that if a car is from the factory and has a xenon's with a level system and washers that they must work. What if i just install the xenon's with no washers or leveling system.

Firstly is this going to in danger fellow drivers
Is it legal?

My understanding is if the beam pattern is correct then it will pass the MOT. If the car had washers and levelers From stock then they must work. Well what if it is not stock and i just have xenon's retrofitted?

I was contemplating these projector lights, but they look nothing like BMW eagle eyes xenon's, so i thought i would see if any alternate solutions are out there.

Thanks for any responses and advice regrading this topic

Jamiehttp://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/images/smilies/thumbup.gif
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport, '09 528ix

I don't know if you may be subject to local inspections, but there is definitely no harm to your fellow drivers. Almost no cars in Canada with HID have headlight washers. My 3 series did not come with them either. We're all still alive
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

You'll probably have better luck asking locally about how those laws are enforced.

All my BMW have had xenons and none had headlight washers so I don't see a problem, but then again, i'm in the US

By the way, I would suggest you retrofit the factory HIDs so that you get the bi-xenon (i.e. HID for high beams also)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
Mauricio Palacios. MD
Stark und Frei
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435i M Sport

Hi! Do you live in the UK? Your car currently has halogens, right? I understand that if 2000 lumens are exceeded (xenon), any lighting system must equip automatic levelers and washers. I think it would be cheaper and easier to install a good LEDs system. Those don't require the levelers and washers but neither have the projectors lenses...
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 07:24 PM   #5
JamieP1896
Rep

@Mauricio im based in the UK. Where did you find that information, as i wouldn't mind also having a look at it. Also what do you mean by LED lights. I thought the BMW F30 has the choice of halogens,xenon's, bi xenon's or projectors. Do you have a picture or link of LED lights for the F30

@nicknaz
Bit of a novice when it comes to the ins and outs of xenon headlamps. I thought bi xenon adjusted automatically where normal xenon's are similar to standard halogens but obviously different level of brightness and type of bulb filament, Am i right? (Probably not)

I am regretting not getting xenon's with the car but unfortunately in my budget, i could not find a car with the m sport kit, pro nav,xenon's and paddle shift. Wish i had saved up that bit extra, would have saved all of the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP1896 View Post
@Mauricio im based in the UK. Where did you find that information, as i wouldn't mind also having a look at it. Also what do you mean by LED lights. I thought the BMW F30 has the choice of halogens,xenon's, bi xenon's or projectors. Do you have a picture or link of LED lights for the F30
http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarke...h.wh6hdt6rrs6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP1896 View Post
@nicknaz
Bit of a novice when it comes to the ins and outs of xenon headlamps. I thought bi xenon adjusted automatically where normal xenon's are similar to standard halogens but obviously different level of brightness and type of bulb filament, Am i right? (Probably not)
Bi-xenon refers to a xenon headlight system where both high and low beams are handled by a single bulb (as opposed to having the high beam handled by a separate bulb, often halogen, as seen in older car models).
      03-15-2016, 01:55 AM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim View Post
Bi-xenon refers to a xenon headlight system where both high and low beams are handled by a single bulb (as opposed to having the high beam handled by a separate bulb, often halogen, as seen in older car models).
+1

My understanding is there is a little plate inside the projection that forms the cut off for low beams, and then when you ask for high beam that plate moves aside and you get the full light output for the xenons.

It is a HUGE advantage in my opinion, to have bi-xenon, as compared to having a separate halogen light for the high beam

One other thing to check is that if there is an OEM bi-xenon setup that does NOT have auto leveling or the movement in response to steering angle, that would probably be the easiest to retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 03:18 AM   #8
tomsab0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48

Every Xenon version Must have auto leveling...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
JamieP1896
Rep

So according to the link in the previous post from @Emilim

http://greyhead.co.uk/are-aftermarke...h.wh6hdt6rrs6i

It basically concludes saying that as long as xenon's can be adjusted manually and dont go brighter than 2,000 lumens, it is okay. So assuming that is the case, and that not having washer jets or a leveling system isn't going to blind any fellow drivers, then it sounds like its legal to fit xenon's with out the above to a car that did not have them previously.

Im going to drive to my MOT test center and ask, as i want to make sure before i do the retrofit.

What is recommended then, assuming that it all works ok.

Bi Xenon's over Normal Xenon's.

Although TBH i see BMW F30 OEM Xenon's are very expensive brand new or even second hand. Will probably go for after market xenon's.

Is there anyone in the London Area on this forum that does these types of Retrofits as a profession?

Cheers
Appreciate 0