F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need your help to pull the trigger
Extreme Powerhouse

11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sports

Need your help to pull the trigger

Hey guys,

So I'm at a crossroad right now and dont know which turn to take.

My e90 lease is up, and I have to make a decision.

I went in my dealer today, sat down and spoke numbers as well as test driving 2 cars that fit my budget:

X1 - Sport + Nav + Rearview etc
White ext with Red inside

328i Xdrive Classic line + Nav
White ext with black int

Loved the drive of the 328 coming from a sedan right now.
The whole X1 thing/SUV is pretty new to me.

Things I really want in my car: coral red interior and Nav. (unfortunately, red doesnt exist in the classic line )

What's your experience with the X1?
Any of you come from a sedan?
Any regrets?
Pros and cons?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince88 View Post

Any regrets?
Pros and cons?
I just had it for 3 days as a loaner. It was Xdrive 28i with premium and cold weather. Sincerely, I couldn't wait to get out of it. One of those three days I had my wife drive it to work and I drove our second car (Jetta TDI).

In May this year I had to rent VW Tiguan because the only other car on the lot was Prius. Normally I would never rent anything but a car (no trucks, SUVs, CUVs, minivans for me) but didn't really have a choice. Well, turns out I preferred to drive that VW rather than this X1, it was rental special FWD Tiguan without options, weaker engine (still 2.0 turbo, but only 200 hp) and no options.

I'm sorry to say so and don't want to offend anybody who owns it, but the ONLY positive thing about this X1 loaner was steering (much better than VW Tiguan). Even brakes felt iffy and that's a first for me in a BMW branded vehicle.
      11-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Chris@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive

get the F30.
ive driven the X1 as a loaner before and i hated it
the one thing i hated the most is the circular defogger (i think its called) lines at the rear windshield. maybe just because im not used to it but it just looks bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #4
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
get the F30.
ive driven the X1 as a loaner before and i hated it
the one thing i hated the most is the circular defogger (i think its called) lines at the rear windshield. maybe just because im not used to it but it just looks bad.
That's funny to have that much hate for a relatively trivial thing.

I ended up getting an X3 for my wife and the CA actually took the time to explain the logic behind the circular defrost lines....I'm guessing they get a lot of questions about it.

Anyway, I can't speak of the X1 as I haven't driven one, but I enjoy the X3 for weekends out with the wife & kids.

That said, if I had to chose between an X1 (or X3) and an F30, I'd go F30 all the way.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your input guys,
I'm just concerned about the equipment i'd be getting for the $ i'm willing to put.

The X1 would be pretty much fully loaded vs a base F30 with NAV only...
Scares me a little.

I'm coming from a 328i, premium, sports, nav... Letting go of the real leather seems iffy since we spend more time inside than outside the car! LOL

Keep the comments coming guys.

I have the weekend to think it over, have to sign on Monday (fingers crossed)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
That's funny to have that much hate for a relatively trivial thing.

I ended up getting an X3 for my wife and the CA actually took the time to explain the logic behind the circular defrost lines....I'm guessing they get a lot of questions about it.

Anyway, I can't speak of the X1 as I haven't driven one, but I enjoy the X3 for weekends out with the wife & kids.

That said, if I had to chose between an X1 (or X3) and an F30, I'd go F30 all the way.
How does the handling of the X3 compare to the F30? Is it a big difference, or does even the X3 have that BMW feel? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959
How does the handling of the X3 compare to the F30? Is it a big difference, or does even the X3 have that BMW feel? Thanks.
As with anything, it depends on how you option them, but the F30 is a sport sedan and the X3 is a small SUV with sedan-like handling. Sedan still beats it handily, it's just that a BMW SUV will usually handle better than most other suv's. My wife's X3 is pretty light steering, but at that still way tighter than the ML350 we had before it. I think you can now get better suspension and steering options than when we got ours, so that should certainly make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 Xdrive30i M sport

I was at the buying crossroads as well and thought about the x1 too, but i am about to purchase a 328i because of more rear seat space, better fuel economy, and the fact i wont regularly be using the ground clearance for off road duties.

However if you live in places that have snow or like going on dirt roads, the x1 with x drive is certainly well worth a thought - particularly the safety benefits. Certainly appreciated the difference awd makes when i used to live in missouri in winter.

The other thing that swayed me towards a sedan is i know my driving style would appreciate the lower centre of gravity and handling benefits of the 328i... Plus i am living in a warm climate and dont need awd
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #9
Runnin and Gunnin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i X Drive M-Sport

I am posting a completely biased and uneducated response for no reason other than...I like my F30.

I think the X1 is petite. I test drove an X3 before I bought my F30 and loved it, exxxxxxcept it tiny and I hated the size. The X1 of course being even smaller.

328 For the Win, but PLEASE let us know what you end up going with.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau View Post
I was at the buying crossroads as well and thought about the x1 too, but i am about to purchase a 328i because of more rear seat space, better fuel economy, and the fact i wont regularly be using the ground clearance for off road duties.

However if you live in places that have snow or like going on dirt roads, the x1 with x drive is certainly well worth a thought - particularly the safety benefits. Certainly appreciated the difference awd makes when i used to live in missouri in winter.

The other thing that swayed me towards a sedan is i know my driving style would appreciate the lower centre of gravity and handling benefits of the 328i... Plus i am living in a warm climate and dont need awd
Mileage is the exact same between the X1 28i and the 328i Xdrive.
Same engine as well...

Still on the fence guys, keep the comments coming please...

X3 is a no go! So no use talking about it.

I live in Montreal and winters can get pretty nasty, got stuck a few times each winter with my e90 (non Xdrive)...
Watch it be a snowless winter if I decide to go X1 ! LOOOL
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
dpwr
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a good one

I recently had my lease finish and was thinking between 328xi and x3, x3 is pretty nice but I felt like a soccer mom in it (no offense to anyone) not to mention I don't need extra space since I only drive myself and gf for now.. a friend has x1 and it's pretty nice, it's smaller then x3 which I liked... at the end I took 328xi
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
TheObviousChild
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Comp xDrive - '21 X3M40

I was actually surprised at the X3's handling. Of course, I was getting my wife out of a Tahoe that handled like a tank.

The fact that the BMWCCA will let people drive their X3's and X5's at a performance driving track event tells you something about the handling of the X's.

But yeah, end of the day, F30 all the way.

Previous: 2020 M340 / 2017 X3 / 2016 340xi / 2013 335xi / 2011 X3 / 2010 328i / 2007 328i / 2004 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I'm at a crossroad right now and dont know which turn to take.

My e90 lease is up, and I have to make a decision.

I went in my dealer today, sat down and spoke numbers as well as test driving 2 cars that fit my budget:

X1 - Sport + Nav + Rearview etc
White ext with Red inside

328i Xdrive Classic line + Nav
White ext with black int

Loved the drive of the 328 coming from a sedan right now.
The whole X1 thing/SUV is pretty new to me.

Things I really want in my car: coral red interior and Nav. (unfortunately, red doesnt exist in the classic line )

Any regrets?
Pros and cons?

If you don't have kids with hockey bags and you're straight, 328 all the way
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Mileage is the exact same between the X1 28i and the 328i Xdrive.
Same engine as well...

Still on the fence guys, keep the comments coming please...

X3 is a no go! So no use talking about it.

I live in Montreal and winters can get pretty nasty, got stuck a few times each winter with my e90 (non Xdrive)...
Watch it be a snowless winter if I decide to go X1 ! LOOOL
Based on what you have said, if canadian pricing is such that the X1 has more toys than the 328i and you have experienced getting stuck in snow in winter, then the X1 sounds the way to go.

Also in winter climates dont you get salt sprayed on the road? The X1 clearance and additional underbody protection would mean less issues with corrosion i would have thought?

If economy is a factor, the australian spec x1 xdrive28i uses 7.3l/100 km vs 6.3l/100km for the 328i. Real life economy would vary more. I notice the heavier the car is, the more fuel is used compared to the official fuel rating.

In your Situation i would ignore the economy factor and think about your winter needs and the value for money equation. You have your wife's car if you want the sports car experience.

Still, you havent yet heard from someone who prefers the X1. Maybe you should post in that forum to get their perpective?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #15
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Based on what you have said, if canadian pricing is such that the X1 has more toys than the 328i and you have experienced getting stuck in snow in winter, then the X1 sounds the way to go.

Also in winter climates dont you get salt sprayed on the road? The X1 clearance and additional underbody protection would mean less issues with corrosion i would have thought?

If economy is a factor, the australian spec x1 xdrive28i uses 7.3l/100 km vs 6.3l/100km for the 328i. Real life economy would vary more. I notice the heavier the car is, the more fuel is used compared to the official fuel rating.

In your Situation i would ignore the economy factor and think about your winter needs and the value for money equation. You have your wife's car if you want the sports car experience.

Still, you havent yet heard from someone who prefers the X1. Maybe you should post in that forum to get their perpective?
Hey CKau,

Thank you for your reply!

The getting stuck was a real pain you're right. The clearance, even if minimal, I'm sure would make a difference.
My driveway is about 70 meters long and after a snowstorm, it's a real battle field to get out of it. (Yes I have a snow removal company, but obviously, they're never there when you need them)

Yes, the roads are sprayed with salt, however, since I always lease, I dont really care about corrosion, which you are totally right, ruins cars if not protected and maintained.

I'll test them again on Monday and make my decision based on the drive alone.
I'm sure I could get used to the easy loading of my hockey gear and costco shopping! LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just got back from a local BMW dealer and pulled the trigger on the 328i. I was careful to specify a January build in case there are any MY13.5 updates that I could benefit from.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

So it's a done deal.
I just signed tonight delivery on Thursday!

Here's what it will be:

328i Xdrive, Sports line.
Alpine white + Coral Red interior.
Brushed aluminum trim with red accent.
Black mirror caps.

Can NOT wait!!!

Thanks again for all your help guys! Even if I had to give up the NAV, I'm still happy about it. Car def looks better.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
So it's a done deal.
I just signed tonight delivery on Thursday!

Here's what it will be:

328i Xdrive, Sports line.
Alpine white + Coral Red interior.
Brushed aluminum trim with red accent.
Black mirror caps.

Can NOT wait!!!

Thanks again for all your help guys! Even if I had to give up the NAV, I'm still happy about it. Car def looks better.
They located a car for you? Congrats. Great combination. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just got back from a local BMW dealer and pulled the trigger on the 328i. I was careful to specify a January build in case there are any MY13.5 updates that I could benefit from.
I thought Australia was getting the new Nav Pro starting PW45 (now+)? What else are you expecting for MY13.5? Maybe a 4th gen steering rack and another stab at vibration reduction?

For sure Jan production will probably be Feb delivery and lower residual rates if you plan to lease...

Anyway, congrats. The wait is half the fun.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
They located a car for you? Congrats. Great combination. Enjoy.
I'm actually taking the one I tested first.

It's like it was meant to be. LOL

Thank you very much!!!

Pics of the car as per configurator:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #21
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

She's purdy! Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #22
CKau
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
I thought Australia was getting the new Nav Pro starting PW45 (now+)? What else are you expecting for MY13.5? Maybe a 4th gen steering rack and another stab at vibration reduction?

For sure Jan production will probably be Feb delivery and lower residual rates if you plan to lease...

Anyway, congrats. The wait is half the fun.
I didnt select the pro nav. Australian spec cars have business as standard and i am ok w 6 " screens.

I wasn't expecting anything in particlar... Hence the question.

I suppose i would expect them to fix some of the early production issues such as rusty seats, vibrating wheel... But they wouldn't announce those officially
Appreciate 0