F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N47T/N57T High Pressure Fuel Pump Limited Warranty Extension
Studio RSR

05-04-2021, 12:58 PM   #133
clemsonf31
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
If you choose to personally fix the car, then you've chosen not to take advantage of the warranty. BMW will repair the car under warranty, if you choose to take it to the dealer network. If you had an extenuating circumstance (like you are stranded hundreds of miles from a dealer), you may well be able to get BMW to reimburse a repair that they would have performed under warranty.

I only post this so others are aware - BMW warranty means BMW dealership repair.

Now if a warranty gets extended, and you repaired in the inbetween time at your expense, they will often reimburse that repair.
You are correct. However my local dealer wouldn't diagnose the fuel pump as the issue so I would have had to pay them out of pocket (a significant amount more money) and then submit for possible reimbursement. Unfortunately the local dealership is run poorly which is strange as it's the one that services the majority of the cars driven by BMW employees at the SC plant.

Max
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 08:07 PM   #134
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

In the future, if you have another issue of this nature with your dealer, I suggest asking them to set an appointment with the Regional BMW NA Service Manager.

Typically this works the other way around - dealerships are HAPPY to throw parts at the cars under warranty. They make money and pay the bills, at BMW NA's expense.
      05-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #135
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 328d xDrive

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335icandy View Post
The United States owners have all the fun! What about Canadian BMW diesel owners? Heard nothing, yet.
It has happened to me twice now.... as recent as last night. I just got word this morning that my HPFP failed again. First time at 40,000 kms (in 2018) which was replaced under factory warranty. Now, it just happened again last night at 105,000 kms... not under warranty anymore.

Always used good reliable gas stations, and Shell Vpower diesel when available... But I suppose I should've been more on top of additional additives to lubricate the system. I was planning to replace my HPFP as a preventative measure at the 130k km mark (which would've been 90k on the first replacement pump).

Dealership advised me a couple hours ago of a 17k CAD quote to replace full fuel system. I have escalated through BMW Canada and am waiting to hear on their verdict. I've had two oil changes done away from the dealership at a German Auto Specialty garage... hopefully that doesn't screw me.

Frustrating that owners in the US have received extended warranties on the HPFP, yet I have not heard any owner in Canada receiving the same letter. Anyone on here from Canada who has received the letter, please let me know.

If BMW denies me a paid fix, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I imagine a local garage would be 10-12k or so...

Has anyone had a pump fail, distribute metal through your system and then fix everything yourself? What kind of nightmare am I looking at? Can you flush certain components and reuse them? Or is it best to buy all the parts and rebuild the system as the dealership says is necessary?

I wanted to get 250-300k kms out of my car.... not quite 1/3 of the way through my goal, and I've eaten two HPFPs.... after being a "victim" of VWs Diesel-gate which lead me to a bimmer...... :/

Side note.... It sucks that I still love (mostly) everything about this car lol
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #136
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPilotGuy View Post
It has happened to me twice now.... as recent as last night. I just got word this morning that my HPFP failed again. First time at 40,000 kms (in 2018) which was replaced under factory warranty. Now, it just happened again last night at 105,000 kms... not under warranty anymore.

Always used good reliable gas stations, and Shell Vpower diesel when available... But I suppose I should've been more on top of additional additives to lubricate the system. I was planning to replace my HPFP as a preventative measure at the 130k km mark (which would've been 90k on the first replacement pump).

Dealership advised me a couple hours ago of a 17k CAD quote to replace full fuel system. I have escalated through BMW Canada and am waiting to hear on their verdict. I've had two oil changes done away from the dealership at a German Auto Specialty garage... hopefully that doesn't screw me.

Frustrating that owners in the US have received extended warranties on the HPFP, yet I have not heard any owner in Canada receiving the same letter. Anyone on here from Canada who has received the letter, please let me know.

If BMW denies me a paid fix, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I imagine a local garage would be 10-12k or so...

Has anyone had a pump fail, distribute metal through your system and then fix everything yourself? What kind of nightmare am I looking at? Can you flush certain components and reuse them? Or is it best to buy all the parts and rebuild the system as the dealership says is necessary?

I wanted to get 250-300k kms out of my car.... not quite 1/3 of the way through my goal, and I've eaten two HPFPs.... after being a "victim" of VWs Diesel-gate which lead me to a bimmer...... :/

Side note.... It sucks that I still love (mostly) everything about this car lol
So sorry to hear this!

Yes it's possible to replace just the 4 injectors, HPFP, rail pressure sensor, rail pressure control valve, and fuel filter; flush the rest.

If you had water in the fuel (highly likely) then you may need to replace the LPFP since it gets damaged by water.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2021, 09:21 AM   #137
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
This is why when folks ask me whether I'd recommend a modern diesel, I respond with an emphatic No.

Between the fuel system worries and the emissions controls that will bugger it up, it's just not worth it anymore.

The fuel savings and good times when they work properly is just not enough to offset the expensive headaches at times likes these.

Having been through a similar situation with our Bluetec (several years ago, same cost) I can relate to your frustrations. Good luck, wish you all the best.
      05-20-2021, 08:31 AM   #138
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
So sorry to hear this!

Yes it's possible to replace just the 4 injectors, HPFP, rail pressure sensor, rail pressure control valve, and fuel filter; flush the rest.

If you had water in the fuel (highly likely) then you may need to replace the LPFP since it gets damaged by water.
Andrew from tune my euro is building a secondary filter system that might help you filter out any metal that is lingering around. They aren't released yet but he might be able to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 09:32 AM   #139
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I got to thinking, and the best way to prevent this would be to prevent water from getting to the pump.

Old VW TDIs accomplished this by using an upright fuel filter that had a drain at the bottom, for draining out water.

These are part number 1J0127401A and they were used on cars with both draw through and push through from a LPFP.

I had just changed it on my 2003 Jetta a few weeks ago, and I drained the bottom. Sure enough, some water came out.
Attached Images

Others:

Last edited by Enabled; 05-23-2021 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:35 AM   #140
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Enabled , good point on water being the likely issue. On my previous TDI with the PD engine, I had installed a 2-micron CAT filter setup. It did not have a water separator but I had never found water in my fuel filter before then, so I didn't worry about it.

I had found dirt and other contaminants in the filter, which is why going to 2 micron rated filter was all the rage back then. Plus they were cheaper than VW filters and could go much longer mileage intervals.

I've thought about adding a similar setup to the X3d, but just not quite sure how to go about it. Hoping that getting fuel from reputable places and using a fuel additive every tankful will prevent issues later on.
      05-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #141
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
Enabled , good point on water being the likely issue. On my previous TDI with the PD engine, I had installed a 2-micron CAT filter setup. It did not have a water separator but I had never found water in my fuel filter before then, so I didn't worry about it.

I had found dirt and other contaminants in the filter, which is why going to 2 micron rated filter was all the rage back then. Plus they were cheaper than VW filters and could go much longer mileage intervals.

I've thought about adding a similar setup to the X3d, but just not quite sure how to go about it. Hoping that getting fuel from reputable places and using a fuel additive every tankful will prevent issues later on.
I was thinking of using it as an upright pre-filter on the intake port to the LPFP and on the return line, as this filter accommodates for both using the fuel filter tee part 1J0127247A.

There is likely some room back there by the ECU?
Others:
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #142
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Interesting concept. There might be enough room, although I'd want to secure it somehow so it doesn't put any pressure on the lines.

Speaking of pressure, would you anticipate there may be issues with the fuel pressure supply by adding another filter?
      05-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #143
n00bkiller944
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 328d M Sport

Quote:

Andrew is building one.

https://www.tunemyeuro.com/tme-fuel-...separator-kit/
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2021, 02:53 PM   #144
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
I honestly think a water separator/filter will be the most impactful slap-on item to save the pumps.

However, a device that is sold with excessive cost or filtration capabilities that can select out individual bacteria cells may be overkill.

First, you don't want to add resistance to the flow. The fuel is already being filtered. I know that saying 1 or 2 micron filtration is "optimal for the car" in theory, but in all honesty, it won't stop water itself, and most particles will have already been caught. The issue that can come up would be stressing the LPFP a bit with it.

It's awesome to find others looking into it. The VW filter does just that job, it separates water, and it's cheap. It also has a screw off bottom that you can take a sample of your fuel/water.

Neither would be wrong, but I definitely wouldn't want this situation to morph into an advanced contraption, when something simple would already work.

Anyways. These are just my opinions.
Obviously if either blocks water from reaching important components, it's a win. A large amount of water entry will still get through any water separator. But if that's the case, there will be a lot more problems anyways.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:22 AM   #145
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Thanks for all the input guys.

After some back and forth with BMW and some escalations with a BMW case manager, they have offered to pay 80% of the total cost of the fix. So roughly $3000 out of pocket. Then, as with all the BMW genuine parts, you get a two year warranty on all parts and labor that they change.

I figured I would be in it for 3-4k worth of parts to do the work myself, so I took them up on the offer. Complimentary loaner has been provided and they should have my car back on the road within the week.

This brings me to my next question...

What preventative maintenance are guys doing aside from a fuel additive (which I need to figure out which to use) and changing the HPFP on a set km interval?

Nice to see people are trying to come up with some system upgrades for water separators or screens to catch the grenade fragments... but nothing seems quite available yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 10:00 PM   #146
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys.

After some back and forth with BMW and some escalations with a BMW case manager, they have offered to pay 80% of the total cost of the fix. So roughly $3000 out of pocket. Then, as with all the BMW genuine parts, you get a two year warranty on all parts and labor that they change.

I figured I would be in it for 3-4k worth of parts to do the work myself, so I took them up on the offer. Complimentary loaner has been provided and they should have my car back on the road within the week.

This brings me to my next question...

What preventative maintenance are guys doing aside from a fuel additive (which I need to figure out which to use) and changing the HPFP on a set km interval?

Nice to see people are trying to come up with some system upgrades for water separators or screens to catch the grenade fragments... but nothing seems quite available yet.
Changing out the HPFP is not 'preventative' as a brand new HPFP can get damaged by water just as easily as an older one.
Others:
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #147
GingerPilotGuy
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW 328d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
Changing out the HPFP is not 'preventative' as a brand new HPFP can get damaged by water just as easily as an older one.
So is water the primary reason these pumps are failing?

From looking through the forum, I thought the main reason for the failures of the HPFP was due to the ratio of bio/eco-diesel in North America increasing the wear on the pumps... hence the reason for the lubricant/additive in the fuel?

Is there anything I can ask the dealer to look at to determine the cause of my most recent failure?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #148
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Biodiesel (technically) is actually more of a lubricant than straight dino diesel when properly processed and filtered. Trouble is, that's where contaminants can appear, including water.

Water will kill a pump in short order, simple as that.

Biodiesel hurts in other ways, over the long term. It creates deposits on the injector tips that can clog them up. Again, the source of the fuel (whether biomass which is typically waste veggie fryer oil, straight clean veggie oil or some other source) counts in terms of quality of fuel, followed by the processing, filtering and storage setup for the fuel itself.

The state next door (Illannoy) subsidized biodiesel, so almost all the diesel pumps have some %age of bio. There are probably a few pumps in the entire state that sell straight dino diesel; the rest are all bioD.
      06-02-2021, 07:48 AM   #149
kdog_x
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328d

Quote:
The state next door (Illannoy) subsidized biodiesel, so almost all the diesel pumps have some %age of bio. There are probably a few pumps in the entire state that sell straight dino diesel; the rest are all bioD.
Yeah, I can vouch for that. Every pump in the Chicago area says "May contain up to 15% biodiesel". When I travel out to Iowa, most of the pumps out there say the same thing, but up to 20% Biodiesel. I worried about it a little at first (esp. the 20% label) but thus far I have not had any issues.

I did a proactive change of my HPFP 2 years back, which may not have been necessary. I don't think we had identified water as the cause of failure back then. I did recoup half the cost of the repair after I sold the used pump though, so it wasn't terribly expensive and it made me feel better at the time .
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #150
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog_x View Post
Yeah, I can vouch for that. Every pump in the Chicago area says "May contain up to 15% biodiesel". When I travel out to Iowa, most of the pumps out there say the same thing, but up to 20% Biodiesel. I worried about it a little at first (esp. the 20% label) but thus far I have not had any issues.

I did a proactive change of my HPFP 2 years back, which may not have been necessary. I don't think we had identified water as the cause of failure back then. I did recoup half the cost of the repair after I sold the used pump though, so it wasn't terribly expensive and it made me feel better at the time .
But you gained extremely valuable experience! And got some cool pics
Others:
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 05:20 PM   #151
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Well, it looks like LCI/later 328d's are now included in this warranty extension (I had posted before how BMW's system didn't include me in the earlier one when I checked the website). I just got a letter from BMWNA saying 2017-2018s now have a 10yr/120k HPFP warranty extension.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:22 PM   #152
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Same, just got my warranty extension in the mail as well. So far, the EGR cooler, injectors, and HPFP have received the 10yr/120K extension. VIN still doesnt show my car under the recall either.
      10-09-2021, 01:16 AM   #153
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
So is water the primary reason these pumps are failing?

From looking through the forum, I thought the main reason for the failures of the HPFP was due to the ratio of bio/eco-diesel in North America increasing the wear on the pumps... hence the reason for the lubricant/additive in the fuel?

Is there anything I can ask the dealer to look at to determine the cause of my most recent failure?

My understanding was it was the ultra low sulfur fuel provided less lubricity vs the EU fuels. Bio diesel is less energy dense (I lost 10% mpg on it) , but more lubricity than uS diesel. I understand it is also more hygroscopic and possible more likely to gel in cold weather (not something we get here so I’ve not paid attention to that aspect)

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0