F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Koni FSD Shocks/Struts + Dinan Springs Review
Studio RSR

08-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #1
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Koni FSD Shocks/Struts + Dinan Springs Review

The Koni FSD's are definitely on the softer side for aftermarket shocks, but noticeably stiffer than stock. I was mainly looking for something that would make the car drive less like a Camry without feeling like a Mini. I don't track my car, only drive on the weekends, and my wife is with me 95% of the time so I wanted something comfortable. I was deciding on the KW Street Comfort and these and decided to save a few hundred bucks and go with the FSD/Dinan combo.

BODY ROLL
I'm not sure how people can say body roll is 90% gone on Dinan Springs alone because I'm not sure I would go that far even with the stiffer FSD's. Most of the body roll is definitely gone, but I still notice a bit of body roll on harder cornering.

COMFORT
On tame roads, it feels very similar to stock. I do notice a little bit more of road noise as the car feels more planted. On nasty roads, the shocks perform phenomenally. I've yet to hit the bump stops on some pretty brutal bumps and potholes. It's most noticeable over speed bumps. I no longer clench my butt cheeks and brace for a nose dive. The shocks gobble the speed bump up, and the struts do an excellent job at remaining stiff out of the speed bump.

CONCLUSION
I knew I would have to sacrifice some comfort to make the car drive sportier and I was willing to give up a little comfort in my search. To my surprise, I actually find the car more comfortable now than it was stock. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

TLDR;
If you're looking for a track setup, I'd stay away from the Koni FSD's. If you're for a mild drop, want to maintain comfort for your DD and reduce body roll, the combo is definitely worth a look.
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      08-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
AFjbyers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

Great non biased review. I just ordered the Koni Sports as i am willing to sacrifice comfort for performance at the track. Too many people bash the Koni FSDs because they expect them to be like the sports. Glad they are working for you!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:21 PM   #3
misterjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFjbyers View Post
Great non biased review. I just ordered the Koni Sports as i am willing to sacrifice comfort for performance at the track. Too many people bash the Koni FSDs because they expect them to be like the sports. Glad they are working for you!
Over on the e90 Bimmerfest board I've read nothing but praise for the FSDs. And this is on cars with the factory sport suspension - generally considered much stiffer than the F30 suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
esuero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
The Koni FSD's are definitely on the softer side for aftermarket shocks, but noticeably stiffer than stock. I was mainly looking for something that would make the car drive less like a Camry without feeling like a Mini. I don't track my car, only drive on the weekends, and my wife is with me 95% of the time so I wanted something comfortable. I was deciding on the KW Street Comfort and these and decided to save a few hundred bucks and go with the FSD/Dinan combo.

BODY ROLL
I'm not sure how people can say body roll is 90% gone on Dinan Springs alone because I'm not sure I would go that far even with the stiffer FSD's. Most of the body roll is definitely gone, but I still notice a bit of body roll on harder cornering.

COMFORT
On tame roads, it feels very similar to stock. I do notice a little bit more of road noise as the car feels more planted. On nasty roads, the shocks perform phenomenally. I've yet to hit the bump stops on some pretty brutal bumps and potholes. It's most noticeable over speed bumps. I no longer clench my butt cheeks and brace for a nose dive. The shocks gobble the speed bump up, and the struts do an excellent job at remaining stiff out of the speed bump.

CONCLUSION
I knew I would have to sacrifice some comfort to make the car drive sportier and I was willing to give up a little comfort in my search. To my surprise, I actually find the car more comfortable now than it was stock. I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

TLDR;
If you're looking for a track setup, I'd stay away from the Koni FSD's. If you're for a mild drop, want to maintain comfort for your DD and reduce body roll, the combo is definitely worth a look.
Hi, I just ordered this exact same setup.

How is this holding up so far?
Appreciate 0