F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3000 miles with my F30, things I didn't like
GetBMWParts

12-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #45
ptt127
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

If you set the Sport mode config to Chassis only, you can always pop the shift lever into sport if you want the sport shift program, or go to Sport+ if you want the full bonkers throttle response too, although that disables DSC. Either of those are easy to get out of when it's time to cruise on the Interstate. Look we'd all like everything to be fully configurable but it's not likely to happen so we just have to find whatever is close enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #46
bmbarclay
Current M3 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

dhp is NOT the same as sport suspension...
      12-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #47
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
If you set the Sport mode config to Chassis only, you can always pop the shift lever into sport if you want the sport shift program, or go to Sport+ if you want the full bonkers throttle response too, although that disables DSC. Either of those are easy to get out of when it's time to cruise on the Interstate. Look we'd all like everything to be fully configurable but it's not likely to happen so we just have to find whatever is close enough.
Those are good ideas. I will try to put chassis only than put trans in D/S in city and see how responsive it is and then put in D on highway.

Just to make it clear, actually I am happy with the sport mode as it is. I don`t need really a customization. I only wish it shifts to 8 earlier at steady speeds (I didn`t know it was shifting at 100mph, i thought it was not using that gear at all.). Thats the only thing. And looking at gear ratios shows it won`t be a bad deicison. For example in city at a steady speed, sport mode keeps the rpm between 2000-2500 but on highway it jumps to 3000 rpm when you are cruising at 80mph. I thought that 8 would be the choice of most people who are cruising at 80mph. I don`t think anyone will cruise (steady speed not accerelarating) at 80 mph at 3000 rpm when there is one more gear to go (unless he makes money with the gallons he consume) with a manual trans. This is how I look at it.
      12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #48
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarclay410 View Post
dhp is NOT the same as sport suspension...
Of course it is not same. Based on the reviews on this forum on the sport setting it is as stiff as the sport suspension if not more. I haven`t driven F30 with a sport suspension so can`t compare.

It is still a paid option for the sport line so I believe it is a better setup than the sport suspension.

Last edited by Hayir; 12-10-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #49
bmbarclay
Current M3 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
Of course it is not same. Based on the reviews on this forum on the sport setting it is as stiff as the sport suspension if not more. I haven`t driven F30 with a sport suspension so can`t compare.

It is still a paid option for the sport line so I believe it is a better setup than the sport suspension.
There is no way that it is as stiff, or there would be no reason to upgrade to sport suspension. Its lower and tighter. Modern and Luxury lines are clearly not the same and even with DHP, its not the same. Could be a placebo effect, but most likely not.
      12-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #50
Monkeycmonkeydo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i sedan

My only right leg issue is if I drive more than an hour with my wallet in my back right pocket. With the sport seats I have to take the wallet out before driving if the drive is going to be more than an hour or I die. Once it is out I can sit in that seat for 24 hours straight and be fine.

Do you drive with a wallet in your back pocket?

The coding thing can be done fairly easy and can fix alot of your tech gripes. Check out the coding forum for the how-tos. Locks, auto-headlight etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #51
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Why do you say 7and 8 are overdrives. A few posts ago I wrote it. Look at the ratios of the Manual 6 and Auto 8.
A6=M4
A7=M5
A8=M6

Is the 5 and 6 are overdrive for the manual Then it nees to reach the top speed at 4. i don`t think it is the case.

It has 8 gears to keep the consumption low in city driving mostly. Looking at gear ratios shows this.

I also like the logic of the trans in sport mode except it shifts to 8 very late IMO. I learnt that it shifts to 8 at 100mph from the posts. May be that logic fits to the German autobahns. Than I can`t question it.
I was addressing this post you made:
"2. When I look at the ratios of manual 6 and auto 8.
A8=M6
A7=M5
A6=M4
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6. "

The MT has 6 speed/forward ratios. It's 6th gear is an "over drive" gear.
The AT has 8 speed/forward ratios. 7th and 8th in the AT are "over drive" gears.

The gears are not between the different transmissions because they are different gear ratios.
Also, the final drives are not the same.

The only comparison that can be made is the 6th gear is over drive for the MT, and the AT has 2 over drive gears 7th and 8th.

What does this mean?
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6.

Last edited by RPM90; 12-10-2012 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #52
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
There is no way that it is as stiff, or there would be no reason to upgrade to sport suspension. Its lower and tighter. Modern and Luxury lines are clearly not the same and even with DHP, its not the same. Could be a placebo effect, but most likely not.
Not sure where you're getting this from.
M adaptive is an option even on top of the sport suspension.

The adaptive suspension uses at least the same spring rates as the sport suspension. The added feature with M adaptive is that the dampers are able to respond to a wider range of road conditions.

With M adaptive in "sport" mode the suspension is as firm as the stock sport suspension, but the adaptive dampers are better.
In "comfort" mode, the ride is as smooth as the non sport suspension, but it's even better controlled due to the adaptive dampers, plus you still have the shorter and firmer springs that Lux and Modern don't get.

The sport suspension comes standard with my Msport. I had to pay extra/upgrade to get the M adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #53
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt127 View Post
This is my typical setup.
Sport is set to "chassis" only, which gives firmer steering, sport suspension setting with comfort throttle and comfort trans.
I'd like to add the more responsive throttle to this setup, but alas, no go.

Sport+ is a fun weekend driving mode.
BTW, sport+ doesn't disable DSC. It turns on DTC, but DSC is still working in the background just at a lower nanny level.

To get more configuration settings we have to speak up.
If we don't ask for them, then that a sure way to not get them.
Audi offers it's customers with their "drive select" and "individual" setup where the driver can pick and choose what settings he wants.
That's all I'm asking for.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #54
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Excellent knowledge as always RPM, can always rely on you to clear up misinformation in a thread

There's a lot of confusion about the adaptive m sport suspension, probably because the dealers don't really know fully what it is, and there aren't many demonstrators about to actually try it in! The way I thought of it was it was "better" at both ends: better in comfort than standard (non sport) suspension, and better in sport than sport (or M Sport, both being the same) suspension. 'Better' in each case meaning a smoother, more compliant ride in comfort, and much sharper handling in sport, and both settings coupled with more body control and poise (and not at the expense of ride comfort). And additionally, as they are 'adaptive' - meaning they're constantly adapting to the road conditions, rather than just being able to change between two settings - in both settings they're much more intelligent, and will get the best out of every road surface, in both settings.

I missed it off my options list at first, but then added it later after reading up. After the good comments everyone gives on the adaptive suspension, I'm very glad I chose to add it. I'm hoping to pick up my car next week, and can't wait to try it...
      12-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #55
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
I was addressing this post you made:
"2. When I look at the ratios of manual 6 and auto 8.
A8=M6
A7=M5
A6=M4
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6. "

The MT has 6 speed/forward ratios. It's 6th gear is an "over drive" gear.
The AT has 8 speed/forward ratios. 7th and 8th in the AT are "over drive" gears.

The gears are not between the different transmissions because they are different gear ratios.
Also, the final drives are not the same.

The only comparison that can be made is the 6th gear is over drive for the MT, and the AT has 2 over drive gears 7th and 8th.

What does this mean?
The extra 2 is not 7 and 8 really. They are in between 1 and 6.
You are right, My mistake I completely missed the fact that they have different final drive ratios.

After these discussions I observed the shift points at Sport mode. Usually it keeps the car between 2000-2500 at steady speeds. It does not drop below 2000 when upshifting. It can do this because the gears are close enough. As I observed there is a higher Gap between 7 and 8. Looking at the shift pattern trought 3 to 7, it needs to shift 8 somewhere between 75-80 mph. This would be worse since most of the highway driving is between 70 and 80. Probably to prevent frequent up/down shift at highway driving they pushed the shift point for 8 to the higher rpms than the other gears.
      12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #56
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
RPM explained the technical details of the two suspensions well but just looking at the rpicing also proves this.

Check out the BMW configurator. You can buy sportline and it comes with the sport suspension. Than you can add adaptive m suspension and variable steering as an option for $1000. If the sport suspension is an upgrade to adaptive m suspension there wouldn`t be an option to buy it on sports line.

In some European countries (may be most) sport suspension does not come with the sportline. Sport suspension is a stand alone option and the price is less than the price of the adaptive m suspension.
      12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #57
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Hayir, ya got any pics of your car with door open so we can see the Oyster against the Imperial Blue?
It will take some time to wash the car so i took one today.
but sorry not a good one. I will take another one without the gauges lit.
Attached Images

12-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #58
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

There ya go! We "Oysters" gotta stick together. Very nice. Congrats.

Last edited by CE750Jockey; 12-11-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #59
soolman32
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current: F30 335i Soon: AMG

I found this to be insightful and glad most of it can be corrected based on the feedback i read through.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #60
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

I was never able to see the whole instrument cluster in any car. You dont need to look at it anyways. Do everything by feel!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #61
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Hehe, it's at it's LOWEST position, and that's still higher than I prefer. (Of the two, I find the blocked instrument less annoying than a too-high steering wheel.) I can raise the seat, but then the rear-view mirror starts to block my forward vivsion and I prefer a lower seating position anyway. No biggie, but the ergonomics just aren't quite how I would do it. <shrug>
I checked it out today and I realized that I don`t see the very bottom of the cluster where it displays the miles on the car
      12-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #62
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

First thing I noticed on the 330d demo I had last week. Annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #63
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
It will take some time to wash the car so i took one today.
but sorry not a good one. I will take another one without the gauges lit.
Nice car, love the Imperial Blue.

I thought BMW made a change for MY2013 where they wouldn't let the Luxury line cars get the light colored dash + light steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #64
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Nice car, love the Imperial Blue.

I thought BMW made a change for MY2013 where they wouldn't let the Luxury line cars get the light colored dash + light steering wheel?
It is not luxury line, it is modern line. The change was for the black interior cars. Black interior modern lines used to get light color dash and steering wheel but now they get black wheel and black dash with black seats. Oyster color seats still get the light color wheel and dash.
      12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #65
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
It is not luxury line, it is modern line. The change was for the black interior cars. Black interior modern lines used to get light color dash and steering wheel but now they get black wheel and black dash with black seats. Oyster color seats still get the light color wheel and dash.
Ah... Wow black seats + light wheel/dash is indeed a strange combo.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #66
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Why do you say 7and 8 are overdrives. A few posts ago I wrote it. Look at the ratios of the Manual 6 and Auto 8.
A6=M4
A7=M5
A8=M6

Is the 5 and 6 are overdrive for the manual Then it nees to reach the top speed at 4. i don`t think it is the case.
Overdrive is any gear ratio where the engine output shaft turns slower than the drive shaft. It has nothing to do with top speed.

In low gears, such as second, the engine output shaft turns more quickly than the drive shaft. This provides more effective torque to the rear wheels. As one shifts to higher gears, the engine output shaft turns slower for a given speed.

For the automatic transmission, seven and eight are overdrive gears. Sixth gear is 1:1. That is, in seven and eight the engine output shaft turns slower than the drive shaft. In sixth, the engine output shaft and drive shaft turn at the same speed.

For the 335 MT, sixth is the only overdrive gear, fifth is 1:1.
For the 328 MT, fifth and sixth are overdrive, fourth is 1:1.

(For the curious, the final drive ratio of the MT 328 is 3.91:1. For the 335, 3.23)
Appreciate 0