F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > FA coding -- does it reset all VO coding?
GetBMWParts

06-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM 435GC

FA coding -- does it reset all VO coding?

I'm planning on FA coding 5AP and 8S4 to get the euro high-beam feature. As far as I understand, this will affect FEM_BODY.

After I FA code, will I need to recode the VO for all the ECUs or just FEM_BODY?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I think you mean the opposite...

You're removing 5AP and 8S4 from your VO and then VO coding your vehicle for the anti-dazzle high beams. This will overwrite any FDL coding (manual changes to individual fields) and you will have to re-write any of the FDL coding, such as folding mirrors, for any modules you had VO coded.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93
I think you mean the opposite...

You're removing 5AP and 8S4 from your VO and then VO coding your vehicle for the anti-dazzle high beams. This will overwrite any FDL coding (manual changes to individual fields) and you will have to re-write any of the FDL coding, such as folding mirrors, for any modules you had VO coded.
Sorry I'm relatively new to coding so have my terminology mixed up. But you understood what I meant.

So you're saying I will have to do the FDL coding again for every module not just fem_body?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 11:52 PM   #4
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
for any modules you had VO coded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydigital View Post
So you're saying I will have to do the FDL coding again for every module not just fem_body?
No worries.

As stated, only modules you had VO coded. So for instance you change your VO and choose to only VO code one ECU such as Fembody, you will only have to do the FDL coding again for Fembody. No other ECUs would be affected if you only select Fembody.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
No worries.

As stated, only modules you had VO coded. So for instance you change your VO and choose to only VO code one ECU such as Fembody, you will only have to do the FDL coding again for Fembody. No other ECUs would be affected if you only select Fembody.
Okay now i'm confused.. hopefully you can be patient with me

Terminology is killing me as I don't totally understand the mapping of terms to what I've been doing while I'm coding. But trust me, I've been coding quite a bit to change a lot of values

I'm following the instructions of "How to change FA in F-series car" that has been published in the files that I got with E-sys. Using those instructions, I added enhanced BT (6NS) so am familiar with that process. So for this new one, I would follow same instructions to REMOVE 5AP and 8S4, then:

- apply changes
- "calculate FP", then save the new FA
- Go to expert mode > VCM, load the saved FA file and calculate FP again.AFter that, I go into the VCM master tab, and "Write FA FP" to save the changes to the car.

This is where my understanding of the moving parts is breaking down. I've already done coding across multiple ECUs (HU_NBT, FEM_BODY, TRSVC, etc).

When I write the new FA to the car this time, will it reset all the changes I made? Or is the FA I'm applying only going to affect FEM_BODY?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 12:55 AM   #6
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Let's clear the air with the terminology - VO = FA

Once you've loaded the VO into the car, you have not VO coded any modules. In order to VO code modules, you either have the modified VO saved into the VCM or you can work off the modified VO file.

To VO code the ECU you want changed, click on the ECU in the SVT Tree such as Fembody and click CODE. This will code the ECU based on the VO loaded either in your car or in E-Sys. Course after that you'll have to make your FDL coding changes again.

Hope that helps!

And of course, DO NOT click CODE DEFAULT. That will just screw you but I'm sure you know.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93
Let's clear the air with the terminology - VO = FA

Once you've loaded the VO into the car, you have not VO coded any modules. In order to VO code modules, you either have the modified VO saved into the VCM or you can work off the modified VO file.

To VO code the ECU you want changed, click on the ECU in the SVT Tree such as Fembody and click CODE. This will code the ECU based on the VO loaded either in your car or in E-Sys. Course after that you'll have to make your FDL coding changes again.

Hope that helps!

And of course, DO NOT click CODE DEFAULT. That will just screw you but I'm sure you know.
After I load the new VO in the car (after removing the two values I mentioned) how do I know which ECU to code based on the new VO? I've just been assuming it's FEM_body in this case because that's what I read but could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
After I load the new VO in the car (after removing the two values I mentioned) how do I know which ECU to code based on the new VO? I've just been assuming it's FEM_body in this case because that's what I read but could be wrong.
If you are removing 5AP, you must also VO code the FLA3 or KAFAS camera module (you will have one or the other) in addition to the FEM_BODY.

If you had done any previous FDL coding of the FEM_BODY, you will need to reapply them.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman
Quote:
If you are removing 5AP, you must also VO code the FLA3 or KAFAS camera module (you will have one or the other) in addition to the FEM_BODY.

If you had done any previous FDL coding of the FEM_BODY, you will need to reapply them.
When you say I also have to "VO code KAFAS" what exactly do you mean? Like i said, even though I'm able to code my car, I'm getting all mixed up with all the terminology and can't properly parse some of the statements
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
When you say I also have to "VO code KAFAS" what exactly do you mean? Like i said, even though I'm able to code my car, I'm getting all mixed up with all the terminology and can't properly parse some of the statements
When you got the coding software, you should have also received some "how to" guides. One of them is how to VO code an ECU. That might help explain the procedure.

Basically, VO code means selecting the ECU in the SVT list, right clicking on it, and selecting "Code". That will initialize the ECU to factory defaults based on the VO (vehicle order). If you had previous read the coding data, you MUST re-read it because if you try to FDL code the ECU again based on a previously read data file, the VO coding will be lost.

If you remove 8S4, you only need to VO code FEM_BODY. If you also remove 5AP, you must VO code the camera in the rear-view mirror housing. That's either named FLA3 (if you don't have other camera features like speed limit info, surround cameras, LDW, etc), or KAFAS2 if you do.

Feel free to PM me if you want more help.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
BobbyDigital,

Great question -- same one I had when I added PDCs to my VO (FA). I knew that the REM ECU was affected since the PDCs connect to it and figured that HU_NBT, but to be sure I used TokenMaster's CAFD-NCD Tool, which laid out affected ECUs. Take a look at this BimmerFest thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749668.

I have found this tool to be exceptionally useful and recommend you look over the thread and download -- it will help with many coding related items.

BTW, you can always, play it safe and VO (FA) code almost every ECU, but that is time consuming.

Regardless, after you apply the VO (FA) code to an ECU, you'll have to go back and recode (through FDL coding) the individual items you have done in that ECU

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
TMD29
Don't care
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 SO M3 ZCP

If you have LED's you should also VO code both LHM's and both TMS's as well since these are part of the LED system.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #13
bobbydigital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic
Quote:
BobbyDigital,

Great question -- same one I had when I added PDCs to my VO (FA). I knew that the REM ECU was affected since the PDCs connect to it and figured that HU_NBT, but to be sure I used TokenMaster's CAFD-NCD Tool, which laid out affected ECUs. Take a look at this BimmerFest thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=749668.

I have found this tool to be exceptionally useful and recommend you look over the thread and download -- it will help with many coding related items.

BTW, you can always, play it safe and VO (FA) code almost every ECU, but that is time consuming.

Regardless, after you apply the VO (FA) code to an ECU, you'll have to go back and recode (through FDL coding) the individual items you have done in that ECU
How exactly do you use the tool? I'm familiar with code diff tools so what I mean is how do I get the before and after ncd files?

Do I just load e-Sys, take copy of the files before changing anything, then make my VO changes, load the VO then snapshot files again?

If so, isn't there one ncd per ecu meaning I have to do this for every single one?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
How exactly do you use the tool? I'm familiar with code diff tools so what I mean is how do I get the before and after ncd files?

Do I just load e-Sys, take copy of the files before changing anything, then make my VO changes, load the VO then snapshot files again?

If so, isn't there one ncd per ecu meaning I have to do this for every single one?
BobbyDigital,
Great questions again. What I do is use it seperately from E-Sys as kind of my "Prep tool." Whenever I code with an old laptop using E-Sys, I save a copy of the affected files (NCDs, SVT, or FA/VO). I copy those to my desktop computer, which has both E-Sys, PSZdData & NCD-CAFD tool on it.

I compare versions of NCD files (since I save them in separate folders with date & time). Also, compare VO/FA versions. The biggest help is that I use it to learn about specific items in NCDs to learn what I can change by coding, as well as what ECUs are affected by what options (SALAPA).

Believe there is a an NCD file for every ECU that you read with E-Sys, regardless of whether you code or not. Would be worth your while to swing over to the Coding forum here and download the references as they will help with some of your questions.

Hope that helps

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 09:55 PM   #15
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

FDL after VO

Hey guys,

If you VO code the FRM and but you haven't manually made any changes to the CADF, do you still have to FDL code the module to replace any factory options that were set, or does it only apply to changes you made that weren't original?

Thanks,
Dave

edit: Just realized this thread is old as dirt. But if anyone has the answer please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by DaveCM5; 09-03-2016 at 12:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
ramez75
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i xDrive GC (F06)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMD29 View Post
If you have LED's you should also VO code both LHM's and both TMS's as well since these are part of the LED system.
I have a 2015 F06 with July production date.....I am about to remove 8S4...and was going to VO code only FRM.....do I also need to VO code LHM and TMS????

Another question I do not have 5AP does this mean I can code the Anti Dazzle....or I don't have the hardware for it. I do have adaptive led headlight and the cameras options
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramez75 View Post
I have a 2015 F06 with July production date.....I am about to remove 8S4...and was going to VO code only FRM.....do I also need to VO code LHM and TMS????

Another question I do not have 5AP does this mean I can code the Anti Dazzle....or I don't have the hardware for it. I do have adaptive led headlight and the cameras options
You have Pre-LCI F06, that lacks hardware for NGHB.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #18
asheenlevrai
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 318d (2012)

Quote:
I'm planning on FA coding 5AP and 8S4 to get the euro high-beam feature. As far as I understand, this will affect FEM_BODY.

After I FA code, will I need to recode the VO for all the ECUs or just FEM_BODY?

Hi

Is there any tutorial for REAL beginners? What is FA, VO?, ECU?, FDL? etc...

Coding looks attractive but I wonder about the learning curve.

Thanks a lot
-a-
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #19
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheenlevrai View Post
Hi

Is there any tutorial for REAL beginners? What is FA, VO?, ECU?, FDL? etc...

Coding looks attractive but I wonder about the learning curve.

Thanks a lot
-a-
FA=VO
FA=Fahrzeugauftrag
VO=Vehicle Order
The FA/VO includes the VIN of the car and the complete equipment. You can download the FA / VO from the car as a file.

Ecu is an module (in german "Steuergerät")
FDL= "Funktions-Daten-Liste"
FDL coding means to change single values in an ecu

Here is the Coding beginners guide
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...1&d=1502316308
It's an old instruction but first to read and understand.
Appreciate 0