F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Test drove F30 335xi 2014 - mixed feelings
proTUNING Freaks

06-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Test drove F30 335xi 2014 - mixed feelings

Anyone went from e90 328xi to a F30 335xi?

I did a 30 min test drive and maybe it's not enough to really feel the car, but I came home with mixed feelings.

Pros: adaptive suspension, a bit roomier than e90, looks modern especially with M Sport, I liked very much iDrive and Navi etc.

More or less same: steering - I was expecting more vague and empty feel, but surprisingly it was very sharp and informative with a bit less effort to turn steering wheel at lower speeds

Cons: Ok, I realize this is very subjective, but after slow e90 328xi I was expecting some serious power, I thought it should pull like a freight train, be a rocket so to speak, but ........ nothing like that. Yes it was quicker, like maybe 25% quicker subjectively, maybe a bit more, but nowhere near being twice as fast like numbers suggest and like some reviewers said

I drove it in all modes including Sport+ and I revved engine up to 6500rpm, not to the max as a sales manager was sitting next to me, but close to it. Isn't max torque supposed to come even on 1200rpm - so either it never came or it was not exactly breathtaking? Maybe it's just me expecting way too much from stock 335? Maybe jb4 will make a difference, I don't know. Feeling a bit dissapointed, but other than that I liked how it drives and handles the road curves

Last edited by WhiteBeard; 06-16-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:45 PM   #2
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

As a f30 335xi owner... Jb4 + do make all the difference. Your 25% turns into 40%+... Which will be VERY noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #3
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post

I did a 30 min test drive and maybe it's not enough to really feel the car, but I came home with mixed feelings.

Pros: adaptive suspension, a bit roomier than e90, looks modern especially with M Sport, I liked very much iDrive and Navi etc.

More or less same: steering - I was expecting more vague and empty feel, but surprisingly it was very sharp and informative with a bit less effort to turn steering wheel at lower speeds

Cons: Ok, I realize this is very subjective, but after slow e90 328xi I was expecting some serious power, I thought it should pull like a freight train, be a rocket so to speak, but ........ nothing like that. Yes it was quicker, like maybe 25% quicker subjectively, maybe a bit more, but nowhere near being twice as fast like numbers suggest and like some reviewers said

I drove it in all modes including Sport+ and I revved engine up to 6500rpm, not to the max as a sales manager was sitting next to me, but close to it. Isn't max torque supposed to come even on 1200rpm - so either it never came or it was not exactly breathtaking? Maybe it's just me expecting way too much from stock 335? Maybe jb4 will make a difference, I don't know. Feeling a bit dissapointed, but other than that I liked how it drives and handles the road curves
Honestly when I took the test drive on my F30 335 I felt the exact same coming from an E90 328. I expected more power. I read a bunch on various tunes/piggybacks to convince myself the car was worth buying. After purchase I got a JB stage 1 used on here for $300 or so and it awoke the car completely. This should be where the car comes from stock honestly. Now it pulls hard and leaves a smile on my face. Next step is FBO with JB4, ultimately I'd like to get to 350 whp and then I'll be happy... maybe
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
Kafkaesque328
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBeard View Post

Careful there, might really excite some 335i fanboys out there who think their cars are top of the performance food chain..

seriously though I had the same feeling when I drove my friend's 340i. I thought that thing was going to blow me away and it really didn't. Also a different, more linear power delivery and isn't as peaky with the spikes in boost like the 328, and I am also running JB+ on the 328 so its closer to the 340 but anyway. I didn't at all walk away being particularly impressed, not for the difference in price anyway. The exhaust note of the 340i though is night and day better. I am sure stage 1/jb4 etc 335/340 is next level though.

Past: 2014 Black 320i | Sport Pkg | BMS Stage 1
Appreciate 1