F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
Studio RSR

08-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #397
lightyear36
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post
Wow is right! Now, where did you notice the wind noise coming from? I read others reporting it to be the mirrors as well, but I have totally dismissed it due to the location the noise was coming from in my car (upper corner near the b-pillar) and the fact that some claim they have no wind noise at all.
Remember that before taping the mirror I taped off the COMPLETE left side of the car (windows and doors). As I didn't notice any difference in wind noise level, one can probably eliminate the possibility of air coming in through the left side. Yes, there is an illusion of hearing the noise in the upper corner of the B-pillar, BUT if you lean forward and try hearing it out of the mirror socket, you will succeed as well.

Quote:
So, if in fact it is the mirrors, I suspect any visits to the dealerships in an attempt to fix it will be worthless.
Bingo. Let's call it "Stage 2 fix" and the problems with drip moldings etc. in earlier builds "Stage 1 fix".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I did something similar, I stuffed a big hunk of foam between the mirror and the door and secured it with electrical (vinyl) tape. I didn't notice any significant difference noise during my freeway-speed tests.
Well, it would be great to have a picture of your construction in order to compare the aerodynamics. I am not saying my construction made a world of difference, but a) the noise pattern changed to a more pleasant one and b) the road quality I was testing on was below average concerning the noisiness, therefore the tire noise overlapped the wind noise faster at 70-120mph.

Quote:
Also, has anyone else noticed the weird lip at the bottom of the side mirrors?
Yep, even made a photo of it, but thinking again - the lip isn't that big to be causing the noise we hear.

I from my side have two theories left:

1) Air coming into the shallows of the front doors through motor bay / hood / front fenders. That is something I couldn't tape off well. I think the forum member CKau hit the right spot sealing the holes in suspension towers in the motor bay. However I don't have those holes (330d).

2) Side mirror design. The ultimate test here would be WITHOUT the mirrors and WITHOUT the mirror sockets.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #398
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 x-drive luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightyear36 View Post
Remember that before taping the mirror I taped off the COMPLETE left side of the car (windows and doors). As I didn't notice any difference in wind noise level, one can probably eliminate the possibility of air coming in through the left side. Yes, there is an illusion of hearing the noise in the upper corner of the B-pillar, BUT if you lean forward and try hearing it out of the mirror socket, you will succeed as well.

Bingo. Let's call it "Stage 2 fix" and the problems with drip moldings etc. in earlier builds "Stage 1 fix".

Well, it would be great to have a picture of your construction in order to compare the aerodynamics. I am not saying my construction made a world of difference, but a) the noise pattern changed to a more pleasant one and b) the road quality I was testing on was below average concerning the noisiness, therefore the tire noise overlapped the wind noise faster at 70-120mph.

Yep, even made a photo of it, but thinking again - the lip isn't that big to be causing the noise we hear.

I from my side have two theories left:

1) Air coming into the shallows of the front doors through motor bay / hood / front fenders. That is something I couldn't tape off well. I think the forum member CKau hit the right spot sealing the holes in suspension towers in the motor bay. However I don't have those holes (330d).

2) Side mirror design. The ultimate test here would be WITHOUT the mirrors and WITHOUT the mirror sockets.
Is anyone brave enough to attempt to remove a mirror?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #399
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures; the mod only stayed on the car about 20 minutes. It was so ugly!!

I agree that there was a sound change, but I wouldn't call it an improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #400
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Quote:
Is anyone brave enough to attempt to remove a mirror?
Not me, and definitely not while the car is still under warranty.

BMW should be doing this stuff, not us!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #401
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not me, and definitely not while the car is still under warranty.

BMW should be doing this stuff, not us!!
Totally agree, but have they with any one of us? My guess is no.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #402
lightyear36
Private
Rep

A member on the German forum said he would take the mirror(s) off and make a test. But the holder socket along with the black triangle will probably stay there and just be taped.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #403
lightyear36
Private
Rep

Quote:
Totally agree, but have they with any one of us? My guess is no.
In some cases they succeeded to apply stage 1 fixes and solve issues on older builds. The majority of people usually stay happy with what has been achieved and do not come for stage 2 fixes.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #404
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In some cases they succeeded to apply stage 1 fixes and solve issues on older builds. The majority of people usually stay happy with what has been achieved and do not come for stage 2 fixes.
So how do you explain the people that "claim" to have "no" wind noise at all?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #405
lightyear36
Private
Rep

Quote:
So how do you explain the people that "claim" to have "no" wind noise at all?
Like I said before, when somebody states he/she doesn't have ANY wind noise, it is mandatory to mention the speed the statement pertains to. For example, I have absolutely no wind noise below 60 mph and very happy with the car. At 120mph however, I'm not that happy and would like to have it solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #406
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Like I said before, when somebody states he/she doesn't have ANY wind noise, it is mandatory to mention the speed the statement pertains to. For example, I have absolutely no wind noise below 60 mph and very happy with the car. At 120mph however, I'm not that happy and would like to have it solved.
Agree......mine is very quiet below 80 kph, but as soon as I hit that speed, it becomes very obvious and increasingly worse the faster I go. However, some have stated they have no wind noise until they reach excessive speeds (140+). If it is the mirrors, shouldn't all cars react the same way, assuming the air density is much the same. I realize the airs relative density will play a factor, but it should not be the difference between my car having wind noise at 50 kph and someone else's having no sign of noise until 140 kph. The density of air just would not have that great of an effect.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #407
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

Quote:
Umh, is any car this price class quiet at 120 mph? lol...
      08-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #408
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille View Post
Umh, is any car this price class quiet at 120 mph? lol...
Quiet.......no. Without obtrusive wind noise......yes!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #409
Fille
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 520d -15

Quote:
Quiet.......no. Without obtrusive wind noise......yes!
Yes well it depends if the road is very open and how windy it is (for example a motorway surrounded by empty fields). At least in my car the car is pretty quiet if you're driving in a not-so-open area (country road with surrounding forrest as an example) but when I come to a really open stretch the car will whoosh and it gets affected by cross-winds (you feel the car move a small bit). And that sucks...
      08-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #410
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fille View Post
Yes well it depends if the road is very open and how windy it is (for example a motorway surrounded by empty fields). At least in my car the car is pretty quiet if you're driving in a not-so-open area (country road with surrounding forrest as an example) but when I come to a really open stretch the car will whoosh and it gets affected by cross-winds (you feel the car move a small bit). And that sucks...
I believe we all know that there will be certain conditions present when even a Rolls is not going to be quiet. However, given conditions that we would all consider normal, the F30 is noisier than most due to wind noise once you get over 50 mph. Let's compare apples to apples folks.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #411
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
I believe we all know that there will be certain conditions present when even a Rolls is not going to be quiet. However, given conditions that we would all consider normal, the F30 is noisier than most due to wind noise once you get over 50 mph. Let's compare apples to apples folks.
I would like opine on wind noise. Never noticed on my 335i but in California I rarely push to 100 MPH. However on my trip to Bavaria and a rented 320D 6MT and 220 KPH on the Autobahn-a non issue. Very quiet.

BTW the diesel was very nice. Not the same punch as the N55. But there's plenty of power for passing. Like it better than the 328i engine. I would consider except it's only AT in US. If you live in Europe you're an idiot for not having a loaded one instead a petrol one. MHO of course
      08-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #412
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I would like opine on wind noise. Never noticed on my 335i but in California I rarely push to 100 MPH. However on my trip to Bavaria and a rented 320D 6MT and 220 KPH on the Autobahn-a non issue. Very quiet.

BTW the diesel was very nice. Not the same punch as the N55. But there's plenty of power for passing. Like it better than the 328i engine. I would consider except it's only AT in US. If you live in Europe you're an idiot for not having a loaded one instead a petrol one. MHO of course
So, you are telling us at 220 kph (~136 mph), you experienced no wind noise? If this is true, how can it be the mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #413
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
So, you are telling us at 220 kph (~136 mph), you experienced no wind noise? If this is true, how can it be the mirrors?
Yeah there's noise but it's not like "Wow my mirrors seem to be buffeting the air and are the main source of wind noise". I'm picking up my new 335i on Thursday and will be interested to see, as my last 335i one was as the 320D.

I have the 320D for 3 more days but the weather just turned shite and 220 kph on the Autobahn ain't gonna happen again unless it clears up.
      08-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #414
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Yeah there's noise but it's not like "Wow my mirrors seem to be buffeting the air and are the main source of wind noise". I'm picking up my new 335i on Thursday and will be interested to see, as my last 335i one was as the 320D.

I have the 320D for 3 more days but the weather just turned shite and 220 kph on the Autobahn ain't gonna happen again unless it clears up.
If the wind noise is caused by the mirrors, you should be experiencing it as well. Since you say you've been up to 220 kph with no signs of unusual wind noise, I don't see how some can claim it is due to the mirrors, as that is one thing we all have in common. With so many people reporting differently on the wind noise issue, it seems to me that it must be the door and/or window seals.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #415
lightyear36
Private
Rep

Quote:
If the wind noise is caused by the mirrors, you should be experiencing it as well. Since you say you've been up to 220 kph with no signs of unusual wind noise, I don't see how some can claim it is due to the mirrors, as that is one thing we all have in common. With so many people reporting differently on the wind noise issue, it seems to me that it must be the door and/or window seals.
Try taping the doors and windows yourself and see whether it changes the noise picture for you. For me it didn't. Therefore I'm not the supporter of the windows/doors theory.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #416
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Try taping the doors and windows yourself and see whether it changes the noise picture for you. For me it didn't. Therefore I'm not the supporter of the windows/doors theory.
I have and agree that it did not fix mine either, but I just have a hard time believing its the mirrors when we all have the same mirrors yet, we have much varying reports of wind generated noise. I will be trying some mirror modifications myself to see if it makes any difference, I'll let you know what I discover.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #417
bluemark81
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I've tried doing this to my mirror. I cut a couple of foam pieces to modify the shape of the mirror and to fill the gap that exists between the mirror housing and the side of the car. I then wrapped the entire mirror in saran wrap and then taped it so it would all stay in place. My goal was not really to quiet the wind noise, although, if it did, great. My goal was to see if it had any impact on the noise I am hearing near the b-pillar. It would appear as though this had absolutely no impact on the wind noise I am experiencing. I am now running out of things to try. One last thing I want to try is to build a brace that will span from the top of my drivers side window to the passengers side window to force each window out in hopes that it will form a better seal. I just haven't quite figured out how to build something so I can still get into the car and drive. I am considering using a telescopic painters pole or similar so I can adjust the force against the windows.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #418
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

picked up an MY13 328i Luxury line and was not happy with the wind noise.

Was driving it with a relative while they took delivery of the car, and spent about 5-6 hours driving on the freeway.
Even at moderate speeds like 60mph, there is plenty of 'noticeable' wind noise which is totally absent in my E90.
Lots of swooshing sounds as if you are driving through heavy wind areas (speaking from E90 experience of 36k miles).

My 2014 335i Msport is on order, here is hoping things will be better there.

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0