F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2012 3-series rwd snow performance
GetBMWParts
View Poll Results: Which 3-series would you reco for Chicago weather?
RWD 24 18.46%
xD 56 43.08%
Doesn't matter - RWD is sufficient 50 38.46%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

12-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #89
wayman519
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 N52 6MT A51

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2009 128i  [0.00]
temperature plays the biggest part for tires. Summer tires need to be only slightly sticky at summer temperatures. But once the temp starts to drop to around 10dc the tires will harden significantly. This is where winter tires help even if there is no snow or rain. The tires will remain sticky from 15dc all the way down to -20dc or more.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #90
c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

I live in Chicago I had e92 xdrive only time I actually used it was when we had the big snow storm after that not ever. I would save some money with a rwd and pay for snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:10 PM   #91
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3r2z8f30i View Post
I live in Chicago I had e92 xdrive only time I actually used it was when we had the big snow storm after that not ever. I would save some money with a rwd and pay for snow tires.
Just curious, how did you know when you actually use AWD, does your BMW have a AWD button or a lever to engage the AWD? The X-drive could have save your ass many time without you knowing it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #92
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

I used all wheel drive about 4 times today on the short 10 minute drive home from the mall. I took 3 or 4 right and left turns in the rain and floored the gas each time and each time the car had instant full traction at all 4 wheels and just took off ..... :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #93
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

My first snow experience in a RWD car, 335i with 17" Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3s. Got several inches of snow today and had to venture out before the plows had made the rounds.

The car was generally stable and went where I pointed it, although DSC light lit up every few seconds. As with all cars, FWD or RWD, best to go easy on the throttle and especially around turns. Didn't have any problems driving up snowy hill. No problems stopping with the winters on.

Had issues leaving a parking lot to rejoin main road, where the rear end floated a bit before catching traction. Also had issues backing up onto snow covered driveway (about 6" accumulation), but worked fine driving forward onto it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:13 PM   #94
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

Quote:
Uninteresting to me. Gimme winter tires, that 's all I need.
Riigghhtt who wouldn't want better traction all year round?

It's funny how some of you guys on here are complaining about the additional xDrive weight which compromises your performance during the dry times. I'm sorry but 99% of you are not doing anything on the street that's "compromising your performance".

If your at the track every weekend then I understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #95
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post

Had issues leaving a parking lot to rejoin main road, where the rear end floated a bit before catching traction. Also had issues backing up onto snow covered driveway (about 6" accumulation), but worked fine driving forward onto it.
Before driving in the next snow storm, place one of your summer wheels in the trunk. The extra 50-55 lbs. will increase your traction.
      12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #96
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

So there was finally some snow in Chicago, i just got home, there was maybe about 1-2 inches on the road and let me tell you that i was scared driving, my average speed was 25mph, once light would turn green the car would go left and right, i had to switch to eco-mode it helped since the throttle response was soft, making turns was very slow otherwise i would slide the whole turn, next time i will get winter tires, i honestly didn't expect this, my previous ride was explorer 4wd and at this weather i would easy go 40-45 mph, i guess i will get use to it after awhile
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #97
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Before driving in the next snow storm, place one of your summer wheels in the trunk. The extra 50-55 lbs. will increase your traction.
Yeah I've been thinking about something along those lines.

I don't want to overstate the issue here though. With winter tires on, the car performed at least as well as my old FWD coupe with winters.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #98
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
So there was finally some snow in Chicago, i just got home, there was maybe about 1-2 inches on the road and let me tell you that i was scared driving, my average speed was 25mph, once light would turn green the car would go left and right, i had to switch to eco-mode it helped since the throttle response was soft, making turns was very slow otherwise i would slide the whole turn, next time i will get winter tires, i honestly didn't expect this, my previous ride was explorer 4wd and at this weather i would easy go 40-45 mph, i guess i will get use to it after awhile
This is only the begining of winter, I would get some snow tires on your car before you hurt somebody. Every year I see drivers in accident because their car is not equipped for winter. If you cant stop your car and accelarate without fish tailing, you should really leave your car at home.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #99
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Milan
We got about 10 inches of snow in Montreal today and I got stuck in front of my driveway eventhough my car is Xdrive.
Did you have summer tires on? If so, that could be the issue, regardless xi or i.

We had 15 inches yesterday, mine xi with AS tIres had no problem going through snow banks.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #100
Johannes356
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

We got our first snowfall in Cincy the other day and while the tires were great for doing donuts in a parking lot, the no season run flats were everything I expected them to be in light snow. Really didnt want to, but I think I will have to invest in snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #101
bnekic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive Sport Line

I'm wondering if some factory equipped all-seasons perform better in the snow then others.

I have the Pirelli's and they work great around turns, braking and going through fairly deep snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #102
batislav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes356 View Post
We got our first snowfall in Cincy the other day and while the tires were great for doing donuts in a parking lot, the no season run flats were everything I expected them to be in light snow. Really didnt want to, but I think I will have to invest in snow tires.
No issues with my tires on my ice rink residential streets after the same storm hit c-bus. The only time I've had slippage was during the previous light snow (when the streets weren't treated), but then there were a million accidents all around town and I just had a little sliding when accelerating at stop lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #103
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
This is only the begining of winter, I would get some snow tires on your car before you hurt somebody. Every year I see drivers in accident because their car is not equipped for winter. If you cant stop your car and accelarate without fish tailing, you should really leave your car at home.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #104
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post
I'm wondering if some factory equipped all-seasons perform better in the snow then others.

I have the Pirelli's and they work great around turns, braking and going through fairly deep snow.
none will be as good as winter tires, but I think some all-seasons are definitely better than others. I just ordered a set of snows for my wife's X3 as the goodyear all seasons on that are pretty mediocre in the snow, almost hit my idiot neighbor the other day when he decided to stop in the middle of the road to talk to someone walking their dog, in a snow storm. There was only an inch or two on the ground, wasn't driving fast, didn't try to stop too fast, coming down a pretty slight hill, and I was sliding for 3 or 4 car lengths trying not to hit someone that was easily 15 car lengths in front of me.

On the other hand, the Continental all-seasons on my C300 4MATIC have been very good in the snow and have had no problem ripping through a foot of snow. I'm hoping I get those on my 335 so I don't need to put snows on it too (or that whatever comes on it are just as good). But I'll probably put 19's on for summer and use the stock M sport 18's as winters, and may well end up putting snows on them anyway (why change wheels twice a year without best possible tire for the season...). I like the 18's a lot though, so if I don't feel like they're too small, may just keep them on all year and only have 1 vehicle to change over.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #105
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
none will be as good as winter tires, but I think some all-seasons are definitely better than others. I just ordered a set of snows for my wife's X3 as the goodyear all seasons on that are pretty mediocre in the snow, almost hit my idiot neighbor the other day when he decided to stop in the middle of the road to talk to someone walking their dog, in a snow storm. There was only an inch or two on the ground, wasn't driving fast, didn't try to stop too fast, coming down a pretty slight hill, and I was sliding for 3 or 4 car lengths trying not to hit someone that was easily 15 car lengths in front of me.

On the other hand, the Continental all-seasons on my C300 4MATIC have been very good in the snow and have had no problem ripping through a foot of snow. I'm hoping I get those on my 335 so I don't need to put snows on it too (or that whatever comes on it are just as good). But I'll probably put 19's on for summer and use the stock M sport 18's as winters, and may well end up putting snows on them anyway (why change wheels twice a year without best possible tire for the season...). I like the 18's a lot though, so if I don't feel like they're too small, may just keep them on all year and only have 1 vehicle to change over.
I got my BMW dealer to change out the oem Good Year tires with Conti pro-contact as a condition of sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #106
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I got my BMW dealer to change out the oem Good Year tires with Conti pro-contact as a condition of sale.
Good call. I may have to do the same if mine doesn't show up with Conti's or the Pirelli's people on here seem to be pretty happy with. I don't know if I have enough patience left to make that bluff (change them or no sale), but may have to at least try it, let them switch with something off the lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #107
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Good call. I may have to do the same if mine doesn't show up with Conti's or the Pirelli's people on here seem to be pretty happy with. I don't know if I have enough patience left to make that bluff (change them or no sale), but may have to at least try it, let them switch with something off the lot.
It took the dealer no more than 15 minutes to swap out the tires and program the TPMS. By the way, does the F30 still come with Conti, I thought they change it to Pirelli.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #108
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
The last 2 winters were a bit rough but only for a week or so did we have big storms. I had a rwd e90 with Dunlop winter sports and it did great. I tried to get the car stuck and it just kept pulling out. X drive is way better but you would do just fine with proper tires and rwd.

My fiancé has a 328xi with continental all seasons and the biggest difference is traction from a dead stop. Even with snow tires you still spin and struggle in deep snow a bit but it isn't a huge issue.

I'd take a rwd car with snow tires over an x drive car with regular tires. But if you put snow tires on x drive its a no brainer and no comparison, that's a dream winter setup .

This season I'm just gonna run my 4x4 truck and avoid the salt as much as possible.
      12-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #109
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally5280 View Post
xDrive will obviously be better but if you get a good set of winter tires the RWD will be fine.
I live in Denver as well.....and good snow tires on my last 2 RWD's worked just fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #110
Rover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnekic View Post

All Seasons will not perform as well as winter tires.
All Seasons are a compromise.

Now if you have AWD....you may be OK with All Seasons.
But on A RWD...get winter tires. (I like Dunlop Wintersports and Bridgestone Blizzaks).

Winter tires will stop better than All Seasons on snow and ice on both AWD and RWD.
All Seasons may have better stopping power on dry pavement.

Call TireRack (they are the experts)...or visit their site.... for results of their various tire testings....mostly all are performed on 3 series Beemers.

Last edited by Rover; 12-29-2012 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0