F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > New Lease on a '14 328i
GetBMWParts

10-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
vartex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

New Lease on a '14 328i

Hi guys. I went into the dealer today solely to get a state inspection done on my 2008 e92 328i with 71k miles. While waiting I inquired about a diesel 3 series and the salesman talked me into looking at leasing a 2014 328i because of the great residuals.

Without going into too much detail, I traded in my old 2008 for $13,000. Frankly I thought it was worth a bit more, but I really had to push for another $2k from the initial offer. That car had never given me any prior problems. The CPO warranty expired this past August and I wasn't keen on keeping an out of warranty car much longer.

I ended up leasing for 30 months a 2014 328i sedan with sport line, driver assist, lighting package, and premium package (sticker of $46,750) for $352 a month with $3,000 down from the trade in. I also got the dealer to throw in free tint. I've never leased before and I had no intentions of leasing this time around either.

I love my new color combination and having 4 doors is much more practical for me. I live in a city with crappy roads so having a "softer" ride really is a nice change. And I go from a car with no warranty to a brand new fully covered vehicle (I got it with only 7 miles on it, so it wasn't a demo or previous loaner)

But 2.5 years down the road I have no car and nothing to show for my initial 2008 purchase. Thinking back on it, I should've probably used the proceeds and purchased a 2012 CPO 3 series instead.

I'm just wondering how much more time I need to waste analyzing my situation (as if I can really do anything different at this point). I think $352 is a decent price considering the equipped packages and how much taxes alone add to a lease price. I still get a $10k check from BMW that I can invest right now and use to payoff the remaining lease balance. But again, I didn't do my due diligence and being a spur of the moment type purchase, I have no idea if I could have done any better.

Thanks for your time!

Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Hard to say if you got a good deal with just those numbers.

The sticker was 46750 but what was the sales price?

Is the 352/month before or after tax?

Either way, maybe it's just best to enjoy your new car
      10-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #3
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

that $3k that you put down....is that cap cost reduction or is that total out of pocket?

if thats $3k cap cost....and your payment is only $350...then im going to say thats a little high for a left over 2014
      10-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
vartex
Enlisted Member
Rep

3K was total out of pocket (from the trade in). I would've preferred to put nothing down, but since the dealer gave me another 2K, I was OK with it.

$352 is after tax (that's my monthly payment)

Looking at my lease agreement, the negotiated price of the car is $39,000.

I really don't think it's that bad of a deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
ssedha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Uber / Lyft / CTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartex View Post
Hi guys. I went into the dealer today solely to get a state inspection done on my 2008 e92 328i with 71k miles. While waiting I inquired about a diesel 3 series and the salesman talked me into looking at leasing a 2014 328i because of the great residuals.

Without going into too much detail, I traded in my old 2008 for $13,000. Frankly I thought it was worth a bit more, but I really had to push for another $2k from the initial offer. That car had never given me any prior problems. The CPO warranty expired this past August and I wasn't keen on keeping an out of warranty car much longer.

I ended up leasing for 30 months a 2014 328i sedan with sport line, driver assist, lighting package, and premium package (sticker of $46,750) for $352 a month with $3,000 down from the trade in. I also got the dealer to throw in free tint. I've never leased before and I had no intentions of leasing this time around either.

I love my new color combination and having 4 doors is much more practical for me. I live in a city with crappy roads so having a "softer" ride really is a nice change. And I go from a car with no warranty to a brand new fully covered vehicle (I got it with only 7 miles on it, so it wasn't a demo or previous loaner)

But 2.5 years down the road I have no car and nothing to show for my initial 2008 purchase. Thinking back on it, I should've probably used the proceeds and purchased a 2012 CPO 3 series instead.

I'm just wondering how much more time I need to waste analyzing my situation (as if I can really do anything different at this point). I think $352 is a decent price considering the equipped packages and how much taxes alone add to a lease price. I still get a $10k check from BMW that I can invest right now and use to payoff the remaining lease balance. But again, I didn't do my due diligence and being a spur of the moment type purchase, I have no idea if I could have done any better.

Thanks for your time!

Nice. Which Houston Dealer did you go to if I may ask?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?????

emotional purchases is how things get sold and bought. dont worry everyone has been in those situations. what is done is done. the salesman was just lucky to find you at the right moment and make a sale.

just enjoy what you got. its only for a few years and then you can try again.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 949
emotional purchases is how things get sold and bought. dont worry everyone has been in those situations. what is done is done. the salesman was just lucky to find you at the right moment and make a sale.

just enjoy what you got. its only for a few years and then you can try again.
+1

It's amazing how many important decisions we make (car, home, career, marriage, etc.) are based more on what we might call instinct versus logic. No need to worry. If it makes you happy and you can afford it, you made the right choice.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Looks like a pretty good deal. You got the car for well below invoice (over a couple of K). The car looks good too in that color combo and choice of wheels. Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
vartex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssedha View Post
Nice. Which Houston Dealer did you go to if I may ask?
BMW West.

I've had a full weekend to really enjoy this car and I no longer have buyers remorse.

Thanks for your input guys. I just purchased a tire warranty from Discount Tire and all I have left to do is get some wheel locks and I'm set for the next 2.5 years.
Appreciate 0