F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Motor Trend: 335i M Sport VS Jag XE
Studio RSR

06-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #23
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Just watched it, great video review. I think the GC looks like a cross between the BMW and the Jag.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #24
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for posting

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #25
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The Jag had adaptive dampers - for a proper comparison the BMW should of had the DHP. That would of addressed one of the criticisms.

Also an MPPK plus MPE would of closed any performance gap and it makes the N55 engine come alive.

At that point, I think the test would of been a toss up. Wouldn't mine a Jag F-type in my garage but I think my 335 is a better bet for my 4 door sporty sedan.

Does that mean it's fine to add the Jaguar engine performance pack to the XE S as well?
Hardly even modding one car, just so it can compete with another.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #26
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Didn't really look at what available tuning options exist for Jaguar. Good point.

All I was thinking about is that most people who buy an M-sport would likely option the MPPK and MPE as it is a cheap and readily available option. It is hardly modding the car - it is just a very typical configuration for an M-sport and it is a BMW tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #27
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Didn't really look at what available tuning options exist for Jaguar. Good point.

All I was thinking about is that most people who buy an M-sport would likely option the MPPK and MPE as it is a cheap and readily available option. It is hardly modding the car - it is just a very typical configuration for an M-sport and it is a BMW tune.
Over this side we don't have such a common view with engine upgrades etc.

Likely the majority of cars are not remapped or have mppk fitted from new.

With Jaguar moving on from their time with Ford (xtype etc), they are doing some good work regarding engines, suspension across the range from F Type to XE.

The XE S Coupe ( if eventually launched) will I think be a great car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
Majec9-7
Enlisted Member
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: '07 E87 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, Lieberman decided he should test a car that won't be here after July against a car that won't be here until next year. This guy is just idiotic. His main purpose is to promulgate his weird disdain for virtually all things BMW.
While I do agree that he could test the LCI version, possibly with DHP, I think calling him idiotic and accusing him of being anti-BMW biased is a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #29
Majec9-7
Enlisted Member
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: '07 E87 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Does that mean it's fine to add the Jaguar engine performance pack to the XE S as well?
Hardly even modding one car, just so it can compete with another.
Since it looks like the XE is pricier, it should be OK to add the performance options untill the new price is higher than the XE's.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #30
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majec9-7 View Post
Since it looks like the XE is pricier, it should be OK to add the performance options untill the new price is higher than the XE's.
so how many cars cheaper than the 335i can be upgrade (engine, interior etc) and beat it?

Say Ford Focus RS AWD v a 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #31
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cadillac Escalade ESV

as a Jag owner and a real appreciator of the company (loyal to the company for years)....im really excited about the XE.

Ive had a bunch of XJ's (currently have the latest one)....an XF and at one point an X-type. the X-type was garbage....a pathetic attempt for Jag to step into the entry level market. They had some really poor directors...you can tell it was a budget issue.

but this new car is fantastic looking. Ian is one of the greatest designers IMO. Im not too crazy about the interior, especially comparing it to my XJ....but its not bad (maybe im just trying to make myself feel better haha).

The car comes out right when my 3 series lease ends. Its probably going to be expensive at first, give it a few months and the prices will level out. I wont be surprised if its less than the 335
      06-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #32
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzaddict View Post
as a Jag owner and a real appreciator of the company (loyal to the company for years)....im really excited about the XE.

Ive had a bunch of XJ's (currently have the latest one)....an XF and at one point an X-type. the X-type was garbage....a pathetic attempt for Jag to step into the entry level market. They had some really poor directors...you can tell it was a budget issue.

but this new car is fantastic looking. Ian is one of the greatest designers IMO. Im not too crazy about the interior, especially comparing it to my XJ....but its not bad (maybe im just trying to make myself feel better haha).

The car comes out right when my 3 series lease ends. Its probably going to be expensive at first, give it a few months and the prices will level out. I wont be surprised if its less than the 335
I have also had several Jags including XKs and XJs and have a great deal of respect for the marque. I think the XE will be a success for Jaguar. I doubt it will sell even close to 3 Series numbers but it does not have to, and I am sure Jaguar does not expect it to, to be a successful effort for Jaguar.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #33
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

He didn't "bash" the BMW and in fact said it was an excellent car.
He did say that he preferred certain things about the Jag and I don't see why people here feel so challenged by that.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #34
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

He didn't "bash" the BMW and in fact said it was an excellent car.
He did say that he preferred certain things about the Jag and I don't see why people here feel so challenged by that.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 12:40 AM   #35
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majec9-7 View Post
While I do agree that he could test the LCI version, possibly with DHP, I think calling him idiotic and accusing him of being anti-BMW biased is a bit much.
That assessment is based on much more than just this "review". I'm the first to admit that Jonny Lieberman gets on my last nerve and has for a long time.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #36
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, Lieberman decided he should test a car that won't be here after July against a car that won't be here until next year. This guy is just idiotic. His main purpose is to promulgate his weird disdain for virtually all things BMW.
Dude has a job to do, and there's no 340i to drive yet. In 2 months he can do a similar comparo, and get more clicks/views.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:09 PM   #37
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
A 435 vs the XE would be more of a visual comparison I think...and since the underpinnings and drivetrain of the 335 are the same in the 435, it'd make it more interesting. Look wise..the XE wins over the 335. Interior is hard to tell from a magazine read. Funny how the writer dissed on the BMW Nav ....
      07-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #38
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
I don't know how the 335 drives, but 328 x-drive drives not much different from a Toyota Camry, without a hint of sportiness. If the 335 is anything like the 328 when it comes to suspension/steering performance, then it's no surprise it got it's ass handed to it.

With that said, the Jag XE still uses a touch screen, with its center console layout right out of 2001. No thanks.

Last edited by och; 07-01-2015 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #39
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
I don't know how the 335 drives, but 328 x-drive drives not much different from a Toyota Camry, without a hint of sportiness. If the 335 is anything like the 328 when it comes to suspension/steering performance, then it's no surprise it got it's ass handed to it.

With that said, the Jag XE still uses a touch screen, with its center console layout right out of 2001. No thanks.
Some great hyperbole here. First of all the 328xi may not be the best handling 3 series but it's in a different league than a Camry. Second, RWD 3 series with the 704 suspension (as in the MT test) have very sporty handling. They could be better thus the loss to the Jag in that test.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #40
BimmerBoomer
demoted
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi S5 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post

I just has a Camry for a week, and it is nothing like my 435i. However, I did have a 320i loaner without DHP for a couple of days and it was only a little better than the Camry.
Appreciate 0